Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lunch Ride - A Little Bit of This and A Little Bit of That

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/96066036

Weather-wise, you couldn't ask for a more perfect day to ride.  Cool temperature, moderate winds, overcast/cloudy...perfect. It's how I like it anyway.  I half expected to see more people come out, but today we had Shannon, Todd, Adrian, Vin, Mitchell and Jaffe come out along with John L., who decided to join us as he would do so on occasion.  He always makes the hills interesting when he does.

In today's route, I chose to start it off a little flatter to give people a better chance to hang on and not drop right away.  This doesn't necessarily guarantee that they will, mind you, but Todd and Shannon seemed to be playing nice today and not pushing max power from the start.  Todd even checked up at one point after gapping the group, so he definitely had his team player hat on today...especially with how often he would pull up to the front.  Kudos!

Now don't get me wrong, the pace was still pretty high as we headed toward Jeffrey where I heard Vin and Jaffe mention how they felt like dropping off despite not being in the front rotation.  John, Adrian and Mitchell rotated up to the front as well to help keep the pace up along with Todd, Shannon and me.  However, we all made it together to Laguna Canyon and up to Quail Hill.  Shannon did amp it up on the bike trail making it impossible for me to pass where I thought that may have caused some separation, but it didn't.

When we were approaching Knollcrest from Quail Hill, we saw another rider cross the street and start the climb ahead of us.  Todd led the climb and helped reel the guy in just after we got on Pine Needles.  Then, out of the blue, Vin decided he would charge up the hill and definitely had some good where I thought if he held it, he would do well.  However, he never managed to pass Todd, Shannon and John, and ended up not having anything left for Luminuous.  I was behind him and had exchanged places with the other rider on the climb, but on Luminuous, I took off past both of them coming in just behind Todd and Shannon.

We regrouped at the top and had Adrian turn around and join us as we were already descending.  Adrian ended up taking the lead as we headed down toward and onto Quail Hill.  It was a little hairy having that size group go through the turnabout, but we were fortunate and didn't encounter any traffic in the circle.

On the Shady climb, Todd once again led the climb and John stayed beside him while I tried to maintain their pace seated on the climb.  It was only at the top when they accelerated toward the crest that I fell off and had Shannon pass me as well to join the two ahead of me.  When I crested, it took some effort to be able to catch them but I was able to do so just after the first bridge.  Rather than going by the gates, we took the long way and the four of us continued to exchange spots all the way to the top of Shady.

When we got to the top, I had rolled out and was surprised to see that everyone else had joined back up again.  Of course, Strava tells no lies where it seems they opted for the shortcut way by the gate to do so.  Todd offered the lead out for anyone wanting to sprint, so Shannon was the first to do so as I watched from the back.  Everyone else followed after but no one was able to catch Shannon.

On the climb up Turtle Ridge, I started the climb off mostly because Todd, and I believe Shannon too, were held up at the light since they had gone straight and were crossing from the crosswalk.  When we got to the left turn, Todd and John took the front and I was trailing them for a bit only to lose their pace about midway up.  Shannon had been behind me, but he turned it on and started to charge and ended up cresting with the two others ahead of me.  I tried turning it on toward the end, but just couldn't get enough steam to keep close to the others.  When I headed down, I made the right turn and saw that the light was green on Bonita Canyon where the three ahead started sprinting to make the light.  I tried to haul ass too, but fell short of making the light by probably no more than 1-2 seconds.  I probably could have gone through as the cars hadn't even started rolling yet, but better safe than sorry.

Mitchell had made a U-turn early on Summit and was able to roll up behind me followed by Vin.  We ended up having to sit through 2 cycles since no one hit the crosswalk light and no cars came to activate the green light.

Now with the three ahead of us gone and out of sight, I figured I would end up being held out at the front, but to my welcomed surprise, Mitchell took the front just after me allowing me to rotate to the back.  Vin, Jaffe and Adrian did some work here too, but at the top just before descending toward McArthur, we had to stop at the light.  I thought I'd lead us out over to the Condo, but at one point, Adrian passed me while on his aero bars with seemingly some bad intentions.  I was able to reel him in and latch on as he pulled as through the McArthur light and was seeing if he would continue pulling us all the way to the condo.  Can you say "wishful thinking?"

Of course, with him slowing down, I had no choice but to pass or go backwards on Ford.  We got slowed at the top, which allowed the rest to come up just behind us before hitting the Condo where I tried to encourage the others to go ahead...no takers.  Thus, when I hit the turn and started the climb, I took off up the hill.  I could see that someone was behind me for a portion of the hill, but when I checked again near the top, no one.

I stayed ahead of the guys on Bison and kept looking back hoping that they would try to launch a sneak attack for a sprint to California, but no one seemed interested and thus had a lonely finish.

I didn't map out this ride today, so I didn't realize it was a 23+ mile route (sorry, gents).  It was a good ride with a little bit of everything thrown in and just good teamwork overall.  Love it.  Thanks for coming out and the workout!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment