Monday, November 4, 2013

Lunch TT Trainer with Todd - Bike Route Laguna Canyon Ridgeline Condo Route

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/93244734

While I was in Sacramento over the weekend, I monitored Strava as I would normally and saw people getting a lot of good riding and/or training in.  Needless to say, I was jealous.  To boot, I also hadn't ridden since last Tuesday (spun Wed and Thur only and flattened my ass on a stationary bike on Saturday), so I really wanted to get back on a real bike again.  However, wanting to get back on a bike again and doing so while riding with others on the team comes with mixed feelings...mixed because it's good to be back on the bike but riding with team mates means you'll be punished if you're not on your 'A' game. 

Todd ended up coming in to the locker room after me ready to get some more miles in.  He's definitely logging the most weekly miles than everyone else according to Strava, so it's rather intimidating to think after he put in ~135 miles over the weekend, he was out for more.  Crazy. 

We saw Steve in the gym as well and invited him to come, but he made plans to ride with Hiroshi instead.  Shannon rolled up as we were just finishing getting ready, and we asked him to come out with us too.  However, he had other training plans and didn't want to ride with who he referred to as "crazy guys."  I hope this changes before January.  Haha.

 Not sure how I was going to feel initially given my hiatus, I was glad to realize once we started heading down California that being back on the aero bars felt "familiar."  This is a good thing.  I was able to feel comfortable and manage my power/pace right off the bat.   I was definitely ready to get it done.  In contrast, Todd was feeling the miles from the weekend and despite wanting to push his cardio, his legs didn't want to cooperate.  I can definitely empathize knowing how long miles over the weekend can effect my Monday efforts. 

Despite Todd not running at full capacity, he was still pushing the pace taking turns to keep the pace up on the bike trail.  He had no problem negotiating turns making for a lot of work to close the gap should I find myself going through it behind him. 

We took turns pulling through Laguna Canyon, but Todd was feeling the weekend more as we got on Quail Hill heading to the bike trail again.  He had gotten ahead just as we got onto the circle almost getting barreled by a car who opted not to yield the right of way as she pulled into it, so I was thinking that would kick up his adrenalin making for a fast pass on the bike trail by the 405.  He was definitely moving as he went through the turns, but I took the front after we cleared the last bend and led us over to Ridgeline at a pretty good clip.

Going up Ridgeline, Todd led us up the whole way once again finding the perfect pace for us to make it up together.  I took over once we got on Turtle Rock and got us over to the Bonita Canyon intersection.  Todd took the front immediately after we got on Bonita Canyon, but I still had legs and momentum and ended up taking us through the rolling hills up to the McArthur light. 

When it turned green, I was eager to see if I could find a better way to climb up the Condo on my bike, so I immediately started pushing the pace on Ford.  Once I made the turn onto Jamboree, I just dumped the clutch and took off up the hill.  I had a pretty good run up, and Todd gave me kudos for it after believing it could have been a record pace.  It didn't end up being the case, but it felt good.  :)

We finished the ride making for another great workout and one where I know Todd will be motivated to do better on his next outing.  He's funny this way since anyone else who did the mileage he did would be happy just to be on the bike let alone push as strong as he did.  I may have to skip tomorrow's ride as a result.  HA HA.   Thanks for coming out, bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment