Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lunch Ride #20 - The ol' Dubbel BB route

Strava:  https://www.strava.com/activities/269855649

Attendees:  Shannon, Mitchell, Vin, Jaffe and Steve

After all the heat over the last few days, it was nice to finally have a break and feel some cooler temps today.  Although a little windy, especially up the NPC climb, feeling the wind behind you felt great!  It was a good day for a ride.

Before the ride, Shannon in his roundabout way, was already making predictions that we would get dropped on NPC and not be around in time for the horseshoe finish.   Okay, so maybe those weren't his exact words, but I think those who heard him took it that way.  It was obvious since it seemed he was going to be held out just to give us a chance to keep up.  Strategy.  Because I had my TT bike (other bikes still not operational), however, I opted to push up and help since that nagging voice inside of me just couldn't let Shannon be held up there the whole time.  Had I been on my road bike, I probably would have just said oh well.  HA

Although the pace wasn't brutal in the beginning, we did have a new "Steve" offer to join us for the first time given he saw us gathering just outside the gym.  He said to go ahead and leave him behind if we go too fast, and unfortunately that's exactly what we did.  I think he was with us up through Anteater, but I didn't see him once we started climbing up NPC.

When we got going up NPC, Vin started the charge up and broke away for a little bit.  Shannon gave chase and true to his word earlier, soon started reeling Vin in with me in tow and subsequently proceeded to gap me and those behind me.  I tried to keep a good pace, but I was glad that Vin and Mitchell rotated up front and helped fight the headwind while climbing.  Once we got near the top, I took the front again and started doing what I can to try to make ground on Shannon who wasn't even visible after turning onto San Joaquin.

I stayed on the aeros and started to push on the Horseshoe, with a little help from the tailwind, and Mitchell and Vin stayed with me as we made the loop.  I did see Shannon as he crested the hill before descending back to San Joaquin, but he disappeared again once we got over the same hill.  We would probably have never seen him had he not been caught at one of the lights at San Joaquin.  Lucky for us!  Jaffe caught up to us there too, so we had a pretty good sized group again at that point.

We proceeded toward Back Bay and remained together the whole time.  By Back Bay drive, we started rotating again with everyone doing their share of the work.  We had a pretty good paceline going for a bit, but for the final climb out, Shannon stood up and sprinted off.  I tried to hang, but just couldn't.   I was hoping to at least stay close so I can not get dropped on the climb up Jamboree, but that didn't happen.  He took off again there and probably would have been gone had it not been for the light that he caught at San Joaquin.  Mitchell was with meon Jamboree having reeled me in, so I suppose it wouldn't have been too lonely finishing out the route. if we never caught Shannon.

When we got going again from San Joaquin, I decided to try and kick it up a notch and really started to speed up even on Back Bay drive.  The others were with me at that point, but when we came up with some other riders on the road, I had to keep calling out to one guy who didn't listen/couldn't hear making it necessary for us to check up as we made our way by him.  Others may have been a little more cautious in passing, and this may have caused me to gap them.  When I looked back and didn't see anyone, I figured I'd just take off and give Shannon and the rest a target.  That seemed like today's mode anyway, so....

I was able to stay ahead and although I thought I had broken away, it took only seconds for the rest of them to roll up behind me as I pulled up to the California light.  Nice work!  I was dead at that point.

Going up California, Vin got going first but we reeled him in and I dropped down on the aeros to  finish up the rest of the hill. 

I think that was enough madness for me this week.   Even with my aero advantage of the TT, these guys never seem too fazed where I'm dreading to see what riding with them on my road bike will be like.   Mitchell, Jaffe and Vin keep surprising me, whereas with Shannon, his ridiculous power is as expected.  Let's do it again on Thursday, but I'll be holding up the back on that ride for sure.  Sorry in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment