Thursday, March 19, 2015

TEAM Lunch Ride #21 - The Butterfly Effect

Strava:  https://app.strava.com/activities/270885834

Attendees:  Shannon, Todd, Hiroshi, Mitchell, Jaffe, Vin and Seon

Today, we had Todd come back after a rather lengthy hiatus (more than 2 weeks), and it's always great to have him out given his selfless pulls.  Hiroshi also came out today and was on his TT bike where upon his arrival,  chants of "cheater bike" filled the air.  I'm empathetic given I was on my TT bike Tuesday, but since I was on my road bike today...cheater, cheater, ch...ch...ch...cheater!  Shannon also came out today despite racing at GP this evening, so his lunch ride loyalty was definitely shining through.  Mitchell, Jaffe, Vin and Seon rounded off the list as regulars and fast ones at that, so all together a good group and a bonafide TEAM ride.

Todd seemed pretty eager to get out with the group and led everyone out as we headed down California.  He even started us off on the bike trail but the rest of us started rotating shortly thereafter.  It was after Hiroshi pulled up to the front and began pushing the pace on his TT that things started getting a little crazy.  Since I was under time constraints and needed to get back, I was definitely up for keeping up with the group just so I can make it back in time.  We were definitely moving as we made our way to Harvard.

Shannon had indicated at the base of California that he was going to race at GP, so when I looked back after I had passed him during the rotation and saw he was off the back, it made sense that he was backing off to save the legs for racing.  I knew if he really wanted to catch up to us and work the group, he likely could have despite the number we had today.  What was funny though was on Laguna Canyon, someone indicated Shannon was off the back and Mitchell exclaimed "Yay, we dropped Shannon!"  All of us chuckled given we knew that was unlikely...either that or it was because we rarely see Mitchell that excitable unless talking about amateurs.

Vin, Jaffe and Mitchell seem to be rotating up to the front more and more, although you can still observe the occasional hold out.  Vin had a good charge up Shady as well, and Mitchell would come around for some solid pulls as well and continue to be difficult to shake off.  And everyone continues to notice Jaffe's new and improved speed on the flat terrain.

Seon was also doing great on the bike trail and despite feeling as though he couldn't keep up, he's not recognizing that the pace to Laguna Canyon was over 24 mph avg.  For him to be there with us for as long as he was as well as roll up on us behind a light.  It was the climb up Shady that separated him from the rest, but keep coming out, Seon!

Todd was doing a lot of the pulling as expected, but it was unusual to see him off the back on the climb up Shady.  Although I know he'll probably hate that I'm writing this, I know that it will motivate him even more to come out more regularly and start doing what he does on the hills.  He was still pulling selflessly after despite this, so you know at least that he's always giving 100%.

In the locker room, I joked around with Todd how we're only giving him 2 byes but he needs to be back to dropping people in the hills and stringing out the group when he's back to his normal climbing self and stringing out our rides.  I said it and thought, sometimes I really need to think about what I say.  The reality is that I love riding as a group and hope that all our lunch rides can have us stay together as much as possible.  I know I've contributed to the separation in some way the last couple rides, but I promise to change it up next week and focus on being more of a team player.

Thanks for coming out, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment