Friday, April 15, 2011

BRCM Lunch - BB Bayside Ocean PCH NPC Vista Bonita Cyn Jamboree Loop

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79382506 (Stopped at mile 12...fail!)

Small crew today with Jaffe, Hirsoshi Jeremy and me only.  My plan was to take it easy and spin just to keep the circulation in the legs going and save some for the weekend, but we still got to push some pretty decent speeds (albeit not reflected through GPS stats).

BB was decent with Hiroshi and Jaffe helping to keep a decent pace despite the wind.  We waited for Jeremy at the end, and then we were off through Bayside. 

Going through Ocean today was a joke and was ridiculously busy where we sat behind one gardening truck for a while until he finally pulled over to let us by on Poppy.  

On PCH, I thought I'd hold a decent pace to keep us all together, but Hiroshi wasn't having any of that.  He decided to open it up some creating a gap.  I reeled him in and decided to open it up as well.

Up NPC, Hiroshi took off like a bat out of hell catching the rest of us off guard.  It took awhile to be able to catch him and sit on his rear wheel for a bit to recover.  When I got in front, he jumped on mine, so I to pushed to get him to work and he hung on for a while only fading near the top. 

When we regrouped, Jeremy gave the pass on Vista but Hiroshi still wanted more hills so off we went.  This time, I led us out and found a nice rhythm to climb up Vista where Hiroshi stayed with me for a good portion only to drop off before the first crest.  I kept the rhythm and got to the last hill and looked behind not seeing anyone all the way around the bend.  I still wanted to work up the hill, so I kept a good pace going up but near the top, I sat down and spun the rest of the way.  I looked behind just before I crested and there Hiroshi was again starting up the hill behind me.  Nice.

We met up again at NPC after Ridge Park, and I thought I'd take the guys on a fast downhill but ended up breaking away.  We met at the Bonita Canyon intersection at the bottom and Jaffe wanted to finish up Jamboree.  On the climb up it, I was still pushing the big ring up to keep the intensity high since the two behind me seemed willing.  Hiroshi was on me like bees on honey for a good portion of the hill.  Jaffe wasn't too far behind.

Overall, a good training ride for the day and probably more than I had wanted to expend considering the weekend possibilities.  Thanks for the training, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment