Sunday, April 17, 2011

Team BRCM - Glendora High > GMR > GRR > Mt Baldy Out and Back

Garmin stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79903594 (stopped for about 45 minutes during the ride - the last KOM section - probably didn't register my slow ass speed)

First off, we'd like to thank the VeloViet Cycling group (and Gary's dentist, Steve, who's been out with us a couple times) for allowing us to join them today and providing a roving SAG support.   They allowed us to provide them a bag to haul some items (including 1 water bottle ea.) to the base of GRR so that we could lighten our load as we hit the first KOM section.  They also hauled unnecessary items down the hill after the 2nd KOM section, and had one car that provided water and Gatorade at the very top.  I can only hope the L'Etape du CA SAG is just as helpful, or we may need to create our own SAGs for that event comparable to today's. 

The day started off early with Gary picking me up a quarter past 5 (2nd weekend in a row to start this early), and he picked up Noah and then Vince at the Coffee Grinder place Shannon suggested.  Verm couldn't make the meetup in time (again), but we ended up seeing him on the 57 and following him to Glendora.  We got a little split up but managed to make it to Glendora High School to meet with the Veloviets, along with other cycling groups.  All-in-all, there was probably about 50-60 people out there today.  At some point while we we're all getting ready, Verm was introduced to one of the VeloViet members and came up with the brilliant question of "what does the 'Viet' stand for?"  After the Vietnamese member answered, Verm replied with "Oh, I thought it could have been Vietnam Vet or something."   Where was Mitchell to dish out the "Stupid!" today when we needed him? Geez, Verm.

After the group pictures, it wasn't much longer before we were off with team cars following.  The team cars had one of their lady members taking pictures of the group as we were riding all the way through the hills to GRR.  I overheard them saying that the pictures should be posted on their blog, so another thing to be thankful to them for.  Now we just need to figure out how to get our significant others to do the same for the day of the L'Etape.

While we soft pedaled at the beginning as we rolled out as a large group, our guys all started moving toward the front as soon as we got on GMR.  One of the other club riders in a Rock Racing kit (Luke) decided to test out the waters and started to push the pace early.  Noah and Vince answered, and while I stayed on for a little, I decided to find my own rhythm since there was a lot of climbing ahead of us.   Steve and Gary pretty much did the same behind me.  At the KOM finish at the base of GRR, Luke, Noah and Vince were there waiting along with one guy from River Velo who just got away from me on one of the climbs.  Steve and Gary followed shortly after, so with all the guys who came out today, our team of 5 was among the first 8-9 riders up.  Luke, after riding with Noah, now wants to come out and train with us on the weekend.   Team BRCM is legit...but we know this.

Noah had told us that GRR wasn't anything too crazy, but it ended up still being another 13 miles or so with more climbing.  We were trying to keep a pace that would keep everyone fairly together, although Steve and Gary seemed to want to start this section pretty hard.  They eventually settled down, and we were keeping a decent pace, but this got broken up when someone with a probikekit kit passed us.  Vince gave chase, and the two were off.  I had found a good rhythm to make it through this section, but I still remembered Noah saying how gnarly the KOM2 section was where I was trying to manage my power.  Verm and Noah were chatting behind me, but Verm made his way up to me and ended up helping to pull us toward 3 guys as we were working our way toward the down section.

When we got on Mt Baldy road, one of the team cars were there where I decided to wait for Noah and Gary before going up.  Vince had bypassed this SAG and Verm did too just ahead of me.  Noah got to remove his base layer (which proved to be useless given the perfect weather today), and I grabbed a bite to eat.  As we prepared to roll out, Gary was just making his way in to the SAG.  I got a little head start, and despite the fueling, this section was just plain HARD.  I think the comparison to 4 Ridge Park climbs was pretty accurate.  The pitch on some of the switchback sections was pretty intense though (reminiscent of Park and Nyes).

A different Luke had passed me at some point, and Noah followed.  Then, the same guy in the probikekit kit ended up catching up to me, and riding with me for a while.  He had a team car following him, and at one point, I heard the pitter patter of feet running behind me to see one of the guys from the car had gotten out and was giving him a push.   I wonder if I can talk the wife into doing that for me on the 7th.  He stayed with me for a bit, and at one point, he finally ended up passing me.  As we rounded one of the turns before the final 15% grade climb, I saw him catching Verm just ahead of me.   They both got to the top together, with probikekit doing the paperboy S's, behind him.  I started to do the S's as well heading to the top, and boy did it feel good.   As Noah indicated, this hill is legit.

Noah, lacking of breast milk as a youth, went ahead and did some additional switchbacks up past where the road ended...on his backup Cannondale at that.  Gary came up after and received some of the hydration offerings of one of the team cars with us.

We then made our way down the hills, and going down the switchbacks was a little hairy.  The aluminum wheels was a good choice for this given all the speed scrubbing I had to do leading others into the turns.  Then, Vince passed and showed me some good lines on the switchbacks and led us to the base of the GRR climb back where we all regrouped again.


We all made our way up GRR together until the downhill.  Then, Vince kicked the pace up and we were moving down the GRR down sections pretty quickly.  On some of the hills, Vince wasn't feeling the climbs as much any more, but continued to pass on the downhills.

After we got on GMR, he had gotten behind on one of the hills (rightfully so after killing it on GMR, GRR, and Mt. Baldy Rd), so I went ahead and rode to the bottom on my own.  What an f'in blast!  It was fun to chase down everyone I saw in front of me.  I even got to pass the River Velo guy who passed me up for KOM1 the first time.  The motorcycles made this a little hairy for some, but they didn't end up being too scary for my ride down.  I can't wait to go down this again, but Noah's other route (39?) may be an interesting descent to try next time as well.  On Noah's way down, he saw a rattlesnake and that pretty much ended the short-lived fearlessness he was getting after getting comfortable through some of the turns.

We all managed to make it back to the start point free of any incidents making for a great day of riding.  The beer fest at the end was also awesome.  It was strange that aside from our team, no one else brought beer for their post-ride refreshments.

Gary, thanks so much for driving today and for hauling all of us up there.  Thanks for bringing some beers also.  It's been a while since we've been on a long ride together, so this was a great way to get back out there with us.   I'll drive to the Alpine Challenge.

Thanks to everyone who came out today and making this another good Team BRCM outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment