Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tour de Double Back Bay - Point System in Effect

Garmin stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77440513

Let me start out by saying that it's the competitive nature of this group that makes it interesting to ride with them.  Even on a lunch ride, no one wants to give up any advantages to another.  With a point system being in effect for this ride, even more so.

Here are today's route and point system:


E Peltason > Anteater > Bonita Canyon > Newport Coast > R on San Joaquin > L on McArthur > R on PCH > R on Jamboree (skipping Bayside trail) > L on Back Bay Drive > L on Eastbluff > R on Jamboree > R on Back Bay Drive > Bike Trail to CA > CA.


Point system

1st – 5

2nd – 4

3rd - 3



Point Sections

-    First to 73 underpass entrance on NPC

-    NPC Crest (before San Joaquin)



MANDATORY 1 minute wait point at the top after turning at San Joaquin with the clock starting at the 3rd person up.  This will help climbers work on their sprinting (You're welcome)



-    First to San Joaquin on Back Bay

-    Top of Back Bay

-    First to Bison light atop Jamboree

-    First to San Joaquin on Back Bay (2nd loop)

-    Top of Back Bay (2nd loop)

-    To light at CA from University bike trail

-    Top of CA (before Bison)

-    To BRCM Gate (safely)



Additional Points

-    Broadcom BLACK jersey worn - 4 pts

-    Any other BRCM jersey - 2 pts



Deductions (based on judging panels discretion)

-     Early departure from mandatory wait point (5 pts)    

-     Stop sign/Red light breakaway (minus 5 pts for each)

-     Rubbing on someone’s rear wheel (minus 5 pts) ‘cough, Adrian, Marc and now Jaffe, cough’

-     Any other unsafe acts (5 pts)

-     Transparent or shorts with more than one visible hole (3 pts)



Shortcuts can be taken once again (e.g San Joaquin on 2nd BB loop), but you must be within the pack to attack for pts.

Since the route was already considered advantageous to sprinters, the mandatory wait point and related point deduction was withdrawn.

From the onset, guys were already trying to deduct points from one another.  Hiroshi noticed a hole in Jaffe's shorts just outside the gym and was indicating that points should be deducted...even before we started.  Based on the judging panel, since the hole was not visible during the ride, no points were deducted.  However, the judges pondered whether deducting 10 points from Hiroshi was in order given that he noticed it. 

I could tell it was going to be a rough day when no one wanted to get up front even from the beginning.  The fact that I led everyone out, got relieved by Hiroshi for just a little on Anteater, but got up front again and stayed there all the way to NPC exhibited how the strategies were already in place.

We were all together as we turned on NPC, but Adrian led the assault and pretty much stayed up front all the way to the 73 underpass.  He even stood up and cranked it up a notch and created a nice little gap to put an exclamation point on taking the first point section.   I took 2nd and Todd got 3rd.

Todd was just starting to get his rhythm so it was not long after that he passed both me and Adrian.  I managed to jump on his wheel and stayed with him a good portion of the rest of the climb.  Toward the top, Todd kept the pace up and started to create a solid gap on me where he took first, I took 2nd, and Vince was charging up behind us for 3rd.   Todd did stop for a few seconds not realizing that the wait point rule was removed, but I yelled out saying to keep going before getting to him and only rolled ahead so as to not take advantage.

We did get caught on the first light before the descent and Adrian and Mitchell got things started.  Todd jumped up to the front and also pushed the pace with me taking some turns as well.  42.5 top speed here.

By the time we arrived at McArthur, others had been able to roll up behind us and the group had gotten bigger.  Unfortunately, once the light turned green, Seon rubbed against Mitchell's wheel and fell in the middle of the intersection.  Fortunately, he was okay and was able to continue the ride despite the road rash and dented helmet.

On McArthur through PCH, Todd was doing all the work and no one wanted to relieve the guy as they were saving it up for Back Bay.  Nice.  I tried to get up front on McArthur, but he was moving at a pretty good clip, so I wasn't able to get up front and finally relieve him until we were past a few stop lights on PCH.  if the pulling points were in effect, Todd would have earned in here alone.

Once on Back Bay drive, Adrian led originally, but upon entering Back Bay, Vince decided to attack from there.  However, Adrian, Mitchell or Todd and I were able to reel him.  As we neared San Joaquin, Vince rolled out quickly to prevent the draft, but Adrian took advantage of this and took off and got the first sprint.  I gave it a shot as well, but only got 2nd followed by Vince for 3rd.

On the following section, I got in front and started it off, and Adrian and I alternated pulls keeping the pace up.  As we neared the top, Vince took off for the top with a serious charge, and all I could do was take 2nd again.  I believe Adrian got 3rd here, but it may have been Todd.

Vince and I were able to get across Eastbluff before the others, but we were both trying to recover after that hill charge.  On Jamboree, we see Mike Z. making his way up the hill in front of us (since he didn't attack from the pack, no points...sorry buddy).  Vince started the hill ahead of me, I passed, he passes me, and I pass him to almost finish the hill.  Vince passed me (and Mike Z.) just before Bison, however, so he took this point section, me 2nd, and I believe Todd got 3rd.

Vince had about a 30-40 foot gap on me after Bison, but he was neither pulling away or getting caught.  I thought I'd catch him on the downhill, but he kept the pace up.  As we neared San Joaquin, Vince was going to turn right to go into Back Bay, but Todd (who came up behind me at the light) and I yelled out to him to go to Back Bay drive.  Thus, he busted a U-turn and got back on Jamboree ahead of us.

By the time we got on Back Bay drive, the 3 of us were together again.  I started off the section keeping the pace up but waiting for the attack.  As we neared San Joaquin, Vince started to hammer and got past me, but as we approached, a dumbass was stopped and rolling through our side of the road only to make a u-turn and go back to his side.  It was fortunate that Todd and I didn't take him out as we were moving pretty fast at that point.  Although the conditions weren't ideal, I don't want to take any points away here so Vince took top for another sprint win, me 2nd and Todd 3rd.


For the last section of BB, I again took the first turn up front (and for some time) only to get criticized at the gym after that my pace was too slow.  HA HA.  Vince FINALLY took a pull after and Todd took the last pull that lead up to the top of Back Bay.  I swung out to try and take this one, but Vince had a lot of momentum from the #3 spot leading into the top, so he ended up taking this section as well, me 2nd, and Todd 3rd.  At least I thanked Todd for his work.


Once on the top, Vince led us toward University, and Todd took over after the bridge keeping the pace up.  There were a few people that we had to ride around to get through, so it was hard to size up the ideal time to attack.  Getting to sit in the #3 spot, I was able to see when Vince took off and this time, I was able to get by him to take the sprint to CA...just barely.  Vince got 2nd and Todd 3rd.


On CA, some other BRCM riders were waiting at the bottom, so once the light turned green, we had to work our way through them.  Todd got a good jump and managed to squeeze through the first light, but Vince and I got stopped.  Once the light turned green, Vince got the jump, but I was able to get by him where he jumped on my wheel and once again attacked near the top.  Since Todd was already ahead of us, he got first, Vince 2nd, and me 3rd.


Todd got through the light on Bison ahead of us, but Vince and I were able to get through as well.  We couldn't close in on Todd,  so he took top spot to the gate.  Vince waited for my attack, and countered it just nosing me out for the gate to get 2nd and me getting 3rd.


Of course, given that this was a sprinter's course today, Vince saw to it that I almost got no wins today.  I actually had to remind him of the one to CA, which conveniently he almost forgot, but nonetheless, how could a sprinter not take top spots during the sprints?  My response...it's all about the points today.


Here are the totals:


Adrian Vince Richard Todd Mitchell Hiroshi Seon Jaffe Marc Eddie Mike Z.
NPC 1 5 4 3
NPC 2 3 4 5
BB 1 5 3 4
BB 2 3 5 4
Jamboree 5 4 3
BB 3 5 4 3
BB 4 5 4 3
University 4 5 3
CA 4 3 5
Gate 4 3 5
BRCM Jersey 4 4 4 2 2 4 4 0 4
Totals 17 42 43 30 0 2 2 4 4 0 4



Thanks for the great workout today, guys!  I'll see some of you at the Gran Fondo!

No comments:

Post a Comment