Sunday, July 17, 2011

Team BRCM - 60 Mile Hilly Trainer and More Strava Attacks

GC stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99852664

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/956952

I arrived at the Taco Mesa where Gary and Shannon got there ahead of me.  As I started to get ready, Vince pulled up and decided to join us today.  Awesome...the more the merrier...if you're a masochist.  I knew today would be an awesome workout though. 

Of course, Strava was the focus in the beginning and it was just a matter of figuring out which segments we wanted to take down.  Vince still hasn't bought in to the whole Strava thing, but he was definitely out there pushing or helping to push the pace.  

When we hit Irvine boulevard, we knew this was one of the segments, so after a short warm-up through Lake Forest, which if you ask me was not really a warm-up pace (cough, Gary leading, cough), we turned the screws and kicked it up a notch.   Gary was helping in the beginning, but the pace kept getting more and more intense where Vince, Shannon and I just kept going for it.  In the end, we got the top spot for this segment:  http://app.strava.com/segments/630728.  Great team effort! 

We soft pedaled a little as we got on Jamboree up until we got to Portola.  After it started to pitch upwards, Vince and I started working the hill and both thought that the more of a headstart we got on Shannon for Silverado, the better.  Shannon was saving it, so we took advantage.  Plus, we also thought that having a rabbit to chase would make him charge a lot faster. 

Vince and I stayed together through the Canyons and up Silverado pretty much without stopping.  As we were climbing up Silverado, we were working together and expecting Shannon to just blow by as at some point.   We did what we could and managed to get the top ahead but we were often looking back to see if/when he would be coming by.  It wasn't that much longer after that Shannon comes blazing by even all the way through, just to give the top spot his best shot.  Unfortunately, he was just 2 seconds short.  He may have benefited from a lead out from us had we not broken away, but if you look at the comparison on the stats, Shannon would have probably blown us out shortly after starting the hill.  He was moving!

 At the top, the plan was to take it easy and just save it for the front side of Modjeska.  Of course, every one of the guys here love to descend, so Gary started us out first with Vince taking the next lead down the hill.  Eventually, we were all working together down the hill, and I'm not sure about the others but I could definitely have saved more for the climb.  HA HA

We ended up continuing onto Santiago again toward Modjeska, and while not race pace, we were still not soft pedaling like I thought we would.  Gary was a little off the back, and I slowed down a bit but Vince and Shannon kept pulling away.  Since we were planning to sit atop the hill to watch the guys from the Como street ride pass by, I sped up and ended up jumping on with Vince and Shannon.  Shannon was moving at a pretty good pace, but he seemed to be pulling back some.  I did ask if he wanted me to get up front, but he said it was okay.   Cool.  I did take the front as we started to climb up towards the top of Santiago, so I hope I avoided the wheelsucker title for this ride. 

Como street didn't seem as big as it was the last time, but we sat there and watched a good size breakaway group along with a couple others strung out behind them go past.  The bigger chase group was also coming, so it's curious as to whether they caught the front group this week.   We looked for Jaffe and Mitch, but we didn't see them today. 

We all rode together towards Modjeska, and once we made the left turn, Shannon attacked...hard!  I gave it a sprinter's shot, but I ended up not setting up the right pace and was gasping midway up.  I was able to recover, but I think setting up the hill differently for the next time would be better.  I think Shannon felt the same way.  He still got 2nd and I 3rd for that segment but with over a 30 second disparity between our times.

At the top, Shannon said he was going to take it easy going up Live Oak...and I pretty much bought it hook, line and sinker.  However, when I saw him start to gap me pretty good standing and crushing it, I was fooled...again.  I don't feel too bad falling off...he got the KOM for that section:  http://app.strava.com/segments/609541.  Sweet!

We all gathered again at the campground down at the bottom, and after some water refills, we were off.  Gary must have been a little delirious at this point as he started to turn the other way.  Shannon led us toward the switch back section, and once we got to that hill, I thought I'd climb it at a low gear and just see how long I could hold it.  I got 7th, and while that doesn't sound like too big an accomplishment, it's 2-3 places ahead of Trent Ford.  Suck it, Trent!  HA HA

When we got to the top and finally Antonio Pkwy, we got ahead of the light from Gary.  We also ended up breaking away at some intersections, but Shannon decided to check up after because of this.  When we all got together again, everyone started to nail it.  Some did try to get in our draft, but we were moving too fast for too long for them to hang on.  Ultimately, we ended up getting the top spot on the Antonio segment as well:   http://app.strava.com/segments/653905.  Although it's by just a second, we'll take it!

Vince kept pushing the pace through Oso, so I stayed with him to keep working.  We got on Felipe/Olympiad, and kept taking turns despite the pain.  We just missed the top spot on that hill by a second.  Bummer. 

Shannon caught us by the time we got to Alicia, and there was still no slowing down.  We pushed all the way until we got back to the Taco Mesa parking lot, and I guess we forgot to cool down.  My legs were roasted, and I believe pretty much everyone's legs were feeling it too.  Awesome workout!  That was definitely the most intense 60 miles we've done for a while. My Garmin showed 19.7 mph average at the end, but Strava always drops it down after I upload.  It also drops the elevation gain.  Still a cool website though.

Thanks for coming out today, guys!  Awesome workout for sure and one where I wished I could have stayed to drink after to numb my legs.   Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment