Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday GP Crit - Masters Solo 7-15

Strava stats:   http://app.strava.com/rides/941213

For the non-believers:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99228309

I wasn't sure how the race was going to turn out today given that I was going to do it solo.  I ended up sporting the Velosport kit so I can be a little bit more inconspicuous and possibly work with others sporting Sho-Air, but I did bring a BRCM jersey in case anyone decided to come out unannounced.   I could have sported our colors solo, but in some way, I thought that would be like having a target painted on my back considering how strong our team is.  Peel off the Sho-Air kit though, and I'm BRCM BAM underneath for sure.

I got there a little early and the track was off limits today because they had another race going on.  My wife and kids came out to support again, so I was happy to have them there to keep me company and ease my anxiety.   The warm up ended up being in the parking lot along with the adjoining lot, and I ended up riding about 5.5 miles all together (comparable to about 2 laps like we did the last time).

Before the race, I started to gather with others in the same class and got to talking to some other Sho-Air guys too.  I was trying to see if I could recruit others to work with, but pretty much felt I would be on my own based on the response.  Cool guys and all, but there was just not enough of a Sho-Air presence in the Masters (unlike in the Cat 4/5 class) to make a difference.   Oh well, I tried.

The race started pretty much like the way it did the last time where the pace in the initial lap was not too intense.  One difference between the Cat 4/5 class and the Masters is that the pace didn't fluctuate as much on the latter.  That's not to say the pace wasn't fast though as my overall pace compared to a friend on Strava who did the Cat 4/5 was just .3 mph under (his stats:    http://app.strava.com/rides/941147)...and he won a prime and took 5th so he claims.  We even had to slow down and go into neutral for a good section as the Cat 1/2/3 passed us given we were the last one to be let go, so overall the average mph was pretty much comparable.

One thing I wanted to do was be a lot more aggressive this time around than the last time.   Mission accomplished.  The guys in the class was a little more giving when wanting to stay on someone's wheel, but I really made sure not to give up a wheel unless it was on my terms, not theirs.  I also ended up closing between 3-4 gaps and riding up front around the same number of times or more.   I was determined not to be off the front pack, so I did what I had to not to drop.

On the primes, I was contemplating giving the 2nd one a shot as I was in a good position to do so.  However, the thought that I may blow up after and get dropped after a post prime breakaway kept me in check given I was out there solo.  Finishing strong was more important.  The cool thing about the last prime was that it was the lap we were passed by Cat 1/2/3, so everyone yelled out and said let's just do the next lap...so we did.  HA HA...must be a Masters class thing. 

On the last lap, this was one of the ones where I had to close the gap on the breakaway.  On the backside of the track, 3-4 guys had broken off and I would have jumped on when they did....but I just finished closing a gap on the front side of the track!  I waited and waited for others to go, so when no one would, I took off thinking it may be too late if I didn't otherwise.  I caught them and got to rest for just a bit before I we got to the bottom section of the track.  As we rounded the 2 turns at the bottom, I was in the 2nd position and the guy up front tried to break off but I stuck him like glue.  When he realized he couldn't shake me, he rolled off and someone yelled out...keep going!  Stupid me...I listened.  Here I was leading the group toward the last 2 turns of the race.  Then I heard a couple guys talking and preparing for a charge.  I wasn't sure what I'd have left, but I'd give it my all nonetheless.

As we rounded the 2nd to the last turn, others started to attack and I jumped up off the seat in response to hang on.  One thing I regretted was how I took the 2nd to the last turn on the inside, so this left me on the outside for the last turn.  I guess I didn't learn from the last race.  As we rounded the last turn, it was an all out mad sprint to the finish.  With no lead out, I tried to find some coverage to use for a lead out, but I just wasn't close enough to anyone to do so.  In the end, I don't know where I ended up, but I'm sure it wasn't top 10.  At least I was in the front pack, so I suppose this is good enough for this outing.


On my first lap that I was up front leading the group on the front of the track, I heard a familiar voice only to see Shannon out there too.   It was so cool to see him there and having a beer with the guy after, he just doesn't know.


With my neck bothering me since the morning, I was just happy to get another great workout.  I didn't think I could win today but as most of you can probably relate, it's no fun to lose.  I'll keep going to these until I can figure out what to do to win one of them.  I know it's not a matter of ability as it is tactics, so the more I play the more I learn.  Hopefully, others will come out to play the next time.


Pictures from tonight:


Recruiting

Master Class Lineup

Best in class calves - HA HA

First time up front

Out of the draft again

Yes, this is a different picture

Okay, this is getting ridiculous

The master class sprint

And you thought Noah's race face was ugly

No comments:

Post a Comment