Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday GP Crit - Cat 4/5

Strava stats:  http://app.strava.com/rides/985348

I originally thought this was going to be another solo adventure for me today, but found out this morning that Shannon was going to join me.  He showed up shortly after I did, and we got a nice warm-up lap in where we discussed a strategy for today's race.  The plan was to not be overly aggressive until it was absolutely necessary.  For the final lap, we were going to try and launch an assault in the last couple turns with a good lead out for the finish.  That was the plan anyways.

Eddie showed up shortly after, and although he didn't bring his bike, he came out to support us and took some cool videos a couple picture at the end.  Thanks, Eddie!

As we neared 6 PM with the race starting in 15 minutes, lo and behold Noah showed up along with Kevin and Brad.  Cool.  They still had some getting ready to do, so we let them at it where we didn't really get to collaborate on any strategies with more people.   It would have been cool, but there was just no time.

Shannon and I rolled up to where everyone starts to gather before the race, and I saw a couple guys I met before who were part of Team Sho-Air.  I stopped by to say hi (somewhat obligated as well since I donned their kit) and somehow was recruited to help their top point leader (Scott) by defending.  They also shared with me their strategy, so I felt somewhat obligated to help and be one of their domestiques for the race.  They even already had it determined who would go for the first prime, so I didn't want to dishonor their kit and not comply.  I did ask Shannon to join us, but I was still trying to find an out to make sure he could go for the finish without any problems.   They did say if we had what it took at the finish to go for it, so I'm glad Shannon did and got 2nd (ahead of Scott).  More on this later.

For the most part, the race seemed easier this week and no where near as sketchy as the first time in the Cat 4/5 class.  I did my part where I worked a lot near the front to defend the Sho-Air points leader, but overall it didn't seem too difficult.

When the first prime came, I actually decided to sprint more as an afterthought than actually contesting for the win.  Again, I didn't want to upset the Sho-Air strategy, but I did want to stay close to the guy (Sol) who they slated to try and win it.   I took off after the corner, so to close on the front and come in 4th wasn't bad.  My objectives were 1) to see just how fast these guys can sprint, 2) see what I can do on my Cervelo with a compact crank and 3) see whether recovery would be a problem for me.  Based on the outcome, I think I'll go for primes more often.  As you can see from Eddie's video below, I rolled in after the Sol not in sprint mode but still somewhat broken away from the pack...temporarily.


 After this prime, the only thing I was doing was working for the team.  Anytime I thought Scott would get a  little ahead, I would defend by holding the wheels of anyone who tried to bridge the gap.  It took some work, but it didn't really amount to much since he couldn't break off the group enough.  Shannon, Kevin and Brad were also staying close, so they did what they needed to do to keep up and closing gaps as needed.

We did have some odd situations come up where we got passed by the Masters class, who started after our class went out.  This didn't happen last week, but based on all the "tactics" going on today resulting in reduced speeds here and there, it was no wonder.  Everyone in our class was suppose to go into neutral mode, or so we thought, but there was a Mototab guy who kept getting in the draft of the guys outside our class.  He may have been the one who took it at the end, so if he was, the organized may need to evaluate that.

My problem after the first prime was I didn't really pay much attention to when the 2nd prime was and even the final 2 laps.  One the 2nd prime, Sol asked me to lead him out for it, so what was I suppose to say?  No?  It turned out, however, that Brad was to my right and blocked my ability to be able to do so, so I didn't really get a chance.  I think this was also a lap where there was another group passing, so in the end, I didn't really know whether we were to sprint or not.  I remember pulling to the right after trying to advance thinking I wasn't suppose to considering we were suppose to be in "neutral" mode.  All I know is this racing business is hella confusing.  HA HA

On the 2nd to the last lap, a breakaway took off including Scott, and Shannon jumped on.  I think Kevin was on it also, but I'm not sure.  I wanted to give chase, but I again didn't want to get the other guys pissed at me.  Sol and one other guy went to defend this one guy who was trying to close the gap, and when they couldn't hold his wheel, asked me to.  So I did.  Eventually, he popped, and that's when Sol and the other Sho-Air guy came up from behind me and asked me to try to close the gap to the breakaway group.  We worked together for a while and although we closed on the top part of the track, they started to get away on the back side.  The 3 of us did what we could, but when I turned around and saw another chase group behind us, I thought to just slow down and jump in on the chase group.  Eventually, we caught the other 2 Sho-air guys ahead of us.

The dumb (amateur or rookie are proper replacements) thing about it was that at that point, I didn't even realize it was the last lap.  That may have given me just a little more incentive to try and keep away from the chase 2 group.  Hell...it was at the bottom of the track that they caught us.  As we rounded the final turns, I didn't do anything to set it up and even wondered why some of the guys were sprinting ahead of us toward the finish.  When I saw them turn out after, only then did I realize the race was over.  Although tragic, it is also pretty friggin' funny.  I was ready to even go another lap.  Things I learned:  pay more attention to the signs at the finish line, if they have the video camera out, it's the final lap and don't wear a Sho-air jersey if I actually want to win one of these things.  HA HA.

Shannon did finish 2nd as I mentioned and stayed with the breakaway group.  The cool thing was he knew better than to get up front only to be used up and spat out in the end.  He had no obligations, and even when asked to pull, refused.  Nice.  He got it right and got the podium spot he deserved.  Here's what it looked like:


In the video, you'll also see me just rolling into this one as well and pretty much with a "doh" look.   Insert "Really?  It's over?" caption as needed.

Kevin, Brad and Noah did awesome too.  Noah worked the secondary packs, closed some gaps, and did his thing, which is more than what anyone would expect after killing it on the bike last weekend at the Vineman.  Although Noah won't make it out next week, we'll definitely  need to get Brad and Kevin to work with us for the next one for sure.  Strong guys.

In the end, Shannon getting on the podium made for a good outing.  I actually enjoyed this race just because i was able to ride with the guys unlike last week.  Even seeing Noah a few times was cool.  When I had dropped back on one occasion, he asked "what are you doing back here in the ghetto?"  Too funny.  We celebrated Shannon's finish with some of his homemade brew...good stuff!  It had some kick to it too!

Great race, gents!  Let's do it again next week!  Just like with Strava, I'm hooked!

Here's a post ride pic of the race crew:
Kevin, Brad, Sexy White Chocolate, Shannon and me

No comments:

Post a Comment