Tuesday, September 27, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Turtle Rock Shady Ridgeline Summit Bonita Cyn

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1777870

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117540963


Highlights

- Loaded ride today with 12 riders out...not one you want to take off too early.  Galen seemed to have learned this lesson, but Gary and Verm took a little more coaxing. I took some pulls early on, but just to control the tempo a little...didn't work.

- Gary, Galen, Adrian and Verm formed a little breakaway on Culver to Campus. The rest of us knew better and stayed behind Vince and Shannon.

- When we got to Turtle Rock, the pace slowed down some where no one seemed too eager to bring it up.  Where's LTJ when you need him?  After a while, I finally took the front to bring the pace up to a respectable level (HA HA).  Vince rotated in, but passed at almost sprint speed with no one seemingly wanting to close the gap behind him.

- We apparently gave Verm a 2 mile lead out where he attacked the top before the stop sign.  He ended up missing the turn as a result, so those of us left kept going onto Shady.  

- Vince and Galen took off up Shady where the rest of us didn't get to close the gap enough at the crest.  Nice work.

- I was going to give chase on the downhill, but Shannon thought it best to reel them in together on the bike trail.  So we did with Shannon taking the long pull to do so.  Nice to see Mitchell was with us at the time.

- We tried to keep the breakaway but got held up at the light on Ridgeline where the others were able to regroup.

- Vince had a good pull going up Ridgeline at around 21 mph with Galen behind him.  They were starting to gap early on, so I jumped ahead to get behind Galen where others latched on behind me.

- I did come around to relieve Vince, but may have been a little aggressive in my speed where I "thought" I created a little gap.  However, Galen came by and decided he wanted to sprint up the first rise with me.   Nice, but he forgot there was another rise.  Good job until then though.

- I looked back and thought there wasn't anyone around, but after it flattened out a little, Vince came zooming by.  It wouldn't be the only time today.

- Shannon came around and helped Verm and I get back on Vince's wheel on Turtle Rock as we turned left on Sunnyhill.

-  Verm took the initial pull up Shady although having gapped us a little when he started.

- I took the last pull to get us up and over the crest, and both Verm and Shannon graciously offered a lead out for the sprint section.  Vince was off the back a little, so I wasn't sure who I'd sprint against, but took both Verm and Shannon up on it.

- Shannon's lead out was a little painful, but I was going to pass for the sprint finish.  Next thing you know, Vince is sprinting by me as well.  And there's the 2nd time.

- On Summit, Vince took off first, but Verm decided he was just going to go for it.  He passed and gapped Vince pretty good, but Vince was able to reel him in and pass him on the last section before the U-turn.

- We lost Vince on Turtle Ridge, so it was just Shannon, Verm, Galen, Mitchell and myself on Bonita Canyon.  The other guys weren't too far behind though as we saw them making their way up Summit on the way down.

- Thankfully, we skipped the duplex today, but we did keep a good pace all the way around to Bison.

- Galen took off after the last light over the 73 for a sprint, but I think I got him.  ;)

Good ride today, gents.  Thanks!  I hope you can make it out tomorrow too!

No comments:

Post a Comment