Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lunch Ride - The Return of Braveheart

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1705193

On Shannon's first outing since he got back, it seemed the thought of riding with him thinned out the participants today to only Eric and me.  Eric was smart enough to get a head start though, so we only saw him here and there throughout the ride.  PV was suppose to come out too, but had a flat tire that kept him from coming out on time.  Why didn't I think of that?  Good one!

I had my GoPro on so when I get home, I'll have to publish the video somewhere and add to this blog.  I watched the raw state, and it was pretty decent although I could probably opt to do wide screen next time.  In it, you'll see me following Shannon about 80% of the ride.  It wouldn't be as interesting if I rode up front more, now would it?

Anyway, I think I know why everyone ditched under the premise of meetings, flat tires, etc.  I got worked today.  It may have been the anxiety that did it from Shannon already naming Strava segments for this ride and no one else but me to suffer the punishment.  In any case, I felt pretty wrecked when we got back.

I popped of Shannon's wheel both going up NPC and Pelican, but at least I could still see him on the video.  Shannon ended up getting a 3rd on the Pelican drop from today's effort.  No wonder.

We did check up a little once we got on PCH and as we made our way through CDM, but we picked it up some after getting back on PCH from Avocado.  We did get a little held up on Bayside (or is it Bayshore?) by an SUV, but picked it back up some as we rode by the trailer park.

As we got on Back Bay Drive, Shannon had asked me about a strategy for Back Bay.  In my mind, the warning bells started to go off where I started to prepare for pain.  We took off and alternated throughout the run (probably 60/40) and between the two of us couldn't get through all the shifting wind on the ride where we managed a 27.1 average only.  Only?!?  I need new riding friends.

We still kept the pace up on University, and at the bottom of CA, Shannon asked me if I had enough?  I would have answered with a resounding YES had me asked me at the top of NPC.  Despite this, we still worked through the winds pushing each other as we went up CA.  I'll seriously need to dub the video later so you can't hear me crying.

Our average for today may not have reflected how painful this ride was, but I was beyond cooked when we got back.  It was nice that PV did the same route (minus the trailer park and Ocean Blvd) at nearly the same average.  What a stud!

I hope there will be more reinforcements for tomorrow's ride.  Welcome back, Shannon!

Here's the video:  (I know, I know...just messing around with iMovie for the first time)

4 comments:

  1. Nice job out there today Rich! Working together really helped, the segments aren't getting any easier.

    I suppose the keeping the tempo high between them helps with the progress too. Attacking before full recovery, wtf!? lol.

    Thanks for coming out today, I knew with you we'd ratched the pain threshold up a bit. I had to do some evaluation work anyways.

    Good to see Eric out again. He was slugging away and making good progress up NPC when we saw him. Nice, I can't give full credit for the performance as it is not yet Strava approved?

    Sorry to miss PV. What happens when Stan fails you, any problems explaining those stains in the 4runner?

    See you guys tomorrow.

    -SM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was going to come out with Peter till We saw Shannon's email about all the Strava segments. We knew it wouldn't be a cruiser.

    By the "University Dash" is my dorky name... But wasn't as easy to take as you guys thought!! :)

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well David, had we only averaged 16.9 mph for an 8.5 mile ride, we may have done just a little better.

    Just remember, the KOM segments you own are only as long as Shannon affords them to you. Don't poke at the lions or you may just get bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could have been worse, I could have driven there did the segment, then drive home. Probably still would have lost the segment.

    David

    ReplyDelete