Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lunch Ride - Anteater San Miguel San Joaq NPC Pelican PCH CDM BB CA

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1461469  (brought in the cable from home and it works!)

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111113250


It was a beautiful day out today, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.  Winds were pretty light, and the ambient temperature was ideal.  It was a good turn out, and everyone rode really strong today.  I was hoping to stay in the back the whole time, but this group pushes too hard to do so.

The pace going up Anteater was ridiculous, so I did choose not to partake in the madness.  Vince and PV were pushing real hard in the beginning, so we got a little strung out and being in the back to me was fine.  Adrian told me he was on the verge of blowing up, and that was even before we got to San Miguel!

There was a lady in a black suburban who got a little close to PV on the left turn lane onto San Miguel, but fortunately there was no contact.  This is another example of why we always need to assume that they don't see us and just be careful out there.

On San Miguel, I finally decided to get up front and help Vince out with the pulling, and Gary took the last pull before we got to San Joaquin.

On San Joaquin, Jeremy was asking me if I was saving it in preparation to launch an attack.  I honestly just wanted my legs to make it through today's ride, so I chilled.  Vince attacked the hill and PV wasn't far behind.  Jeremy had a great pace up the hill as well and broke everyone else off where I didn't catch him until near the top.  We got caught at the first light at the top, and everyone else caught us by taking Ridge Park Rd. shortcut.

PV was just ahead of us, and we managed to reel him in on Pelican.  Adrian tested out his new compact crank on the first rise at the bottom and had a good pace as he passed PV.  I got to chase him down though and just nosed him out at the first crest.  I broke away for a bit, but he and PV reeled me back in.

On PCH, we were working together to reel Vince in and it was cool to see Jaffe in the mix here as well.  We may need to rename him Jaffinator.  We almost caught Vince before Poppy, but he held us off.

We regrouped after checking out the waves today since the surf was suppose to be big today.  Vin asked why we were resting when he arrived 5 minutes later where a simple "thank you for waiting" would have probably been more appropriate.

We stayed together on PCH and on Jamboree and since we had to cross a few lanes, Vince is suggesting we do it a little different when we hit lights as a group and cross the streets rather than hit the left turn lanes.  I'm cool with it if everyone else is.

On Back Bay drive, PV conveniently loses his bottle where I had just enough time to swerve and avoid it while Adrian had to bunny hop it.  The group must have been anxious to go as we didn't even stop to wait for PV and rolled on.  Gary took the initial pull followed by Vince.  As Jaffe was behind Vince, I told him he better get up there and relieve so he did with a nice strong pull.  When I finally relieved him, I was sure he was going to pop but the guy was able to jump back on.

The pace on the 2nd section was fast also with Adrian, Gary, Vince and I keeping it high doing rotations.  Jaffe had worked his way up after a few rotations, and was going to take the last pull leading us up to the top.  Vince saw this as the perfect opportunity to attack, and sure enough blew out the guys behind him.   As he was working on his attacks, I was working on my defense and chased him down also snapping the guys off.  THIS is what we need to do during race time.  We sprinted to the top of the hill together, and he did get up on the sidewalk before me, but I was satisfied with slowing at the gate.

Vince kept the pace up once on the sidewalk and bike trail, and all I could do was hang on.  He had broken me off just a bit but I got back on his wheel and decided it best to just stay there.  I didn't opt to relieve him until we got closer to CA where I figured I'd taken the fight out of him.  Damn...that "blocking" really works!

Seon must have taken a different route as he was waiting there when we arrived, and the others had rolled up behind Vince and I not too long after.  When the light turned green, I guess Seon was hoping to contest the Strava segment and took off.  Vince didn't chase, but I thought I'd keep Seon honest and chase.  Vin came along and hung on my rear wheel for about half of the hill.  As I want Seon to keep coming out and improving, I just had to get to the top first so I passed him just on the last rise.  You can say I'm just trying to help the guy...or you can call it BAM.  Same thing.

Another good ride for the books...thanks, guys!  It's nice to see some Strava awards again, albeit the KOM I got lasted only until PV and Vince uploaded their stats.  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment