Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday Lunch Ride - Damn you, Strava!

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1788928

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117764058

Todd, Shannon, Jaffe and I made it out today for yet another painful hammerfest.  Shannon wanted to hit it hard today and see if we can take down a couple Strava segments, but we just missed here and there.  It was a good day to do it weather-wise, but I think I wasn't able to help enough to get us some KOMs.

On Back Bay, we pushed pretty good but we started to prepare for the charge up San Joaquin to Jamboree.  Todd and Jaffe never really set it up, but Shannon and I did to make sure we can sprint the whole segment.  In the end, neither of us were able to take it away from Noah (or his girl friend with the bogus speed data).

After this sprint, I really felt like just the rest of the ride, but with LTJ pushing up San Joaquin, there was no choice but to just push on.  He and Shannon broke me off pretty early on the hill, but we did get to regroup on NPC.

We tried to setup the Strava segment on Pelican where Jaffe was going to lead us out.  The problem, as I saw it though, was that he began to sprint after making the turn onto Pelican because he came in so tight from NPC.  When they began to sprint, they were putting down some good power but Shannon and I held back so we can save it for when we ascend from the bottom.  Todd was broken away for a bit as a result of the lead out, but we closed in by the bottom and we all started the charge.  Unfortunately, we hit a light in the middle so that screwed everything up.  Again, I felt pretty blown up after and for what?

Shannon wanted to start at the bottom of NPC vs. turning left from Pelican (to complete a whole segment...Damn you, Strava!).  After we made the u-turn, I was just doing my best to make it up the hill where Todd, Shannon and Steve had gotten away from me even before Pelican.  I did reel Jaffe in eventually (who held my wheel for a bit after), but Todd and Shannon were too far up.

I only managed to see Shannon again on Vista after they disappeared by the time I got to the crest on NPC.  I saw LTJ for just a little bit, but didn't see him again since he took off and had to get back to a meeting.  Shannon waited for me at the top, and we both waited for Jaffe before going down Park.

We opted to go down San Joaquin and back via McArthur.  That's always a fun way back.  Shannon and I were alternating for the most part, but as we were nearing Bonita Canyon from McArthur, Jaffe swung by and took a strong pull to lead us up to the intersection.

Shannon must have wanted to get all the energy out as he took off once the light turned green, and Jaffe wanted to push on Bison where I was encouraging him to go, go, go in the process.

I did take a video of the above since I wanted to try out the full 1080P HD setting.  The sucky part is it plays back all choppy on my laptop.  I guess I'll have to watch it at home on the Mac.

Another good workout today, guys.  I almost fell asleep at my 2 PM meeting as I was pooped.  I think I may have just enough for one more ride this week, so tomorrow should be it.  Let's make it good!

No comments:

Post a Comment