Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Coffee Crew Ride

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1970869

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121481679#

I met up with Shannon and Gary at the corner of McArthur and Jamboree for today's coffee crew ride.  This was Shannon's first time and my 2nd while Gary holds a frequent flyer card.  After the last 2 days of heat, it was good to get out early and get it done.  Gary and I appeared in BRCM red, but Shannon must have missed that memo as he sported his TDP jersey.  We did see Page on the ride but he took the shorter course today where he turned off at Laguna Canyon to hit the 133 with some other people (including I think the hottie that works at Bike Religion).

It was still a little dark by 6:30 a.m. so the ride didn't get started until there was just a hint of sunlight in the sky.  Several kitted out guys made it out, so it looked like it was going to be a good ride.  I think I remember it being a little bigger last time though.

The pace was definitely very chill for a good portion of the ride.  A little too chill in the beginning given it was cold up against Back Bay.  Nonetheless, Shannon and I were loving it since it wasn't the typical neurotic pace we've grown so accustomed to during lunch.

There's really only one real hill on this ride, and it's off of Tesla.  Even there, no one really seemed to go for it. I was keeping to the left in case anyone started break away, but there was really no one pushing it up that hill this morning.  Good.  We did take an additional hill (El Toro) based on Gary wanting to do some extra credit.  He led up the hill, but Shannon at some point decided it was time to lay some power down.  Fortunately for Gary and I, the others were at the top of the hill where we could regroup.

At the top, Gary had let Shannon and I know about the known sprint point on PCH (the concrete Corona Del Mar a little before getting into town).  We may have to use this ourselves from now on.  He wanted to let us know in case we wanted to set it up as well.  Of course, then it became inevitable that we would.

We sat in the back of the pack down the 133 and even on PCH for a good portion of time.  We did have to make our way past a couple guys who started to pop off based on the base as it seemed that the guys up front where ratcheting it up a little through the rollers.  Once we got past Morrow, Shannon started making his way up, and shortly after, I followed.  We were definitely making our way past a few guys (sorry to those who did all the work earlier on), but I was just following our point leader...or at least trying to.  When he put the hammer down after NPC, I kept having to check myself and make sure I didn't wet my pants trying to catch up.  In the end, I think we caught all but a couple guys just before the finish, One guy did pass me just before the sign, but we checked up at that point as it didn't seem like anyone was really going for it.  In the end, Shannon got top honors on that segment in Strava.  Good job!

Thank you guys for inviting me to come out.  Nothing like getting a good kick in the pants in the morning to start the day.

1 comment: