Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday Lunch Ride - 2nd day of pain!

Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/1940389

2 days in a row I was on my back in the gym trying to catch my breath after the ride. 2 days in a row. Maybe this Stagecoach training business is getting out of hand.

9 of us made it out today, but notably absent were PV (forgot his shoes), Shannon and Vince. These guys would have helped equalized Todd as he's going nuts out there. Mike Z. was also out with us today and actually rode with us vs. before us. He needs to talk to Eddie and get him to come out too. I think Paul Brubaker (in the Banning Bike jersey) came out with us too. Welcome and looks like we found another good rider.

On the way out, the group was pretty much together but Todd decided to turn up the heat on Anteater and strung the group out pretty good. I had to jump from the back just to make sure he doesn't break away at a light. We were lucky this time catching him at a red on Culver.

Adrian decided on a breakaway going up and over Culver, but is this ever really a good idea? Saving it for the upcoming climbs may be more prudent if you're not accustomed to leading the others out up Starcrest. This is more of an observation than a criticism. Really it is.

I think it was Paul who was leading the group up Turtle Rock after we passed Adrian, but Jaffe had broken away for a bit. We did reel him in just before Starcrest, and I led the group up afer the turn. Of course, LTJ decided to turn the heat up and all I could do was watch. Others had fallen of slightly, but they were only seconds behind. Marc had a good showing up this hill along with Vin and Adrian if memory serves me correctly. The others didn't take long to roll up as well.

On the way down toward Turtle Rock, we did pass an unsuspecting Mike Z. who was wanting to regroup at that point skipping Starcrest to ride in the pack. Adrian and LTJ had broken away, so the rest of us (okay me followed by others) gave chase. Fortunately, we were able to catch up to them just as we were getting on the sidewalk to go up Shady. They still had a little gap though, so it took a lot of effort just to get back on their wheel. Eventually, Adrian drew the white flag but LTJ didn't want his hard work to be for naught. He crested ahead of us, so the chase was once again on on the other side. It took just before getting parallel to the freeway on the bike trail to catch his wheel. I took a pull after, but opted to just sit in his draft for the sprint that only Adrian wanted to contest. Let's see how that works for him on Ridgeline.

Once we did get on Ridgeline, I thought I was going to do the pull but seemingly joking, Vin said I'll lead you up, Rich. I didn't really think it would last, but I have to admit it was a damn good pull that he held for a while just before it pitched up a little steeper. I took advantage and sling shot away from the group here deciding that I'll try and fend off LTJ at least to Turtle Rock. I succeeded but paid the price dearly after with LTJ going ahead and breaking away from the rest of the group for the rest of the ride. I caught glimpses of him as he crossed Bonita Canyon and again on Bison, but he held us off.

As I headed down Shady toward Bonita, I had passed Eric who did managed to grab my wheel and follow me down to the light. Vin, Jaffe and Marc arrived shortly after.

Jaffe led us out on Bonita Canyon, but I opted to up the pace some afterwards for a stretch. Jaffe and Vin came around just before the 73 and took the lead. As it started to pitch up, Vin launched an attack that left me chasing him all the way up to the top. It was enough to break Jaffe and Marc off, and admitted, I was nervous for myself as well. I kept him in front of me over the crest, and the SOB appeared to try to do it again before we reached McArthur. Finally, he conceded and I got by on McArthur leaving him to catch his breath. He still had some fight in him though on Bison and wanted to sprint just after the last light over the 73. Given the responsibility of ensuring his continued training, I responded and we all should know how it ended, right? I did try to give the boy props on California, and his response: I was in the wrong gear. Two words: as if....

Another good trainer today, gents. I may skip tomorrow in favor of actually giving the legs some rest. On Thursday, I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment