Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Team BRCM in Spin Class - Wha?

Attendees:  Todd, Galen, Seon, Vin, Adrian, Kevin and Jaffe (+ Dana and the rest of the class)
Instructor:  Madison

Due to today's weather, several of us opted to do a spin class (first time ever for a few of us including myself) in Bldg 11.  I've heard a lot of great things about spin class (usually from women...I'm not judging), so I figured what better way to be able to pedal on a rainy day.  Oddly enough, Gary was planning on riding in the rain since he "couldn't bring himself to doing a spin class," but after today I say don't knock it til you try it, buddy.  We had a GREAT workout!  Who'd have thought life without power meters, GPS stats, and Strava can still be so fulfilling?

Madison was very accommodating after seeing some of us come into the class.  She realized we were in there for a workout, so she changed her program to bring up the intensity for us.  Thanks!  The key thing she pointed out in the beginning of the class was it's only as hard as our willingness to turn the nob.  She got that right.  Anyone who'd say it wasn't hard just didn't challenge themselves enough.  Seon even stopped at one point during the class (someone pointed out it was equivalent to getting dropped) just to get a drink of water indicating the class was actually tougher than the lunch rides.

Vin was already instigating in the beginning of the class by saying I was drafting since he was somewhat in front of me.  Of course, for him to be in front of me for an hour was probably like a dream come true given it  will likely NEVER happen on the roads.  HA HA...just kidding.  In the end, he challenged me to see who's sweat traveled the furthest.  Yet another rookie mistake.

Back to the class...the music was a mixture of different songs all helping to keep a certain cadence depending on the exercise.  With Madison having us do hills, sprints, hill sprints, it was very helpful to do so...probably more than my 80's selection on my iPod.  I think LTJ was even a bit pleased with a couple of the song selections where he actually smiled during them (vs. being angry!).  I do think, however, that I saw an extra vein pop out of his forehead when Lady Gaga came on.  I know I'll be humming The Edge of Glory for the rest of the afternoon.

Overall, it was an excellent substitute for riding, and we are quite thankful to Madison for such an awesome workout and keeping us all honest.  I don't know how soon we'll be back in there again in quantity, but we now have something to substitute on less-than-ideal weather days.  We'll definitely be back, but we'll sing along next time.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Madison! Awesome workout and I'm sure I will do it again. And thanks for the change in the program. Metallica and Linkin Park were great! Rich, which song was Lady Gaga? Is it on your IPOD too? The rest of the tunes were not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never sweat so much in my life and thanks for great workout Madison! I look forward to rainy day again :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case you guys want to sing along next time, I updated the blog with the lyrics. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete