Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lunch Ride - Anteater Spyglass San Joaq NPC Pelican PCH CDM BB Jamboree (Heatstroke Run)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/20298040

Attendees:  Jaffe, Adrian, Vince and Jeremy

Small group today where we thought we had one more (Hiroshi), but he did his own TT thing.  The 5 of us got started and early on (E. Peltason), I was already off the back but with Vince in tow.  Vince seeing that the gap wasn't closing eventually left me behind as well.  I was just fortunate that they got caught at the first light on Anteater where I was able to ride with them again.

We all pretty much stayed together going up Anteater as I tried desperately to warm up (funny I use the turn warm up considering how hellacious the heat and humidity was) and I did end up finally taking a pull once we got on Bonita Canyon heading toward San Miguel.   When we went to make the left turn toward San Miguel, Adrian and I opted to do so from the left turn lane while the other 3 crossed and ended up going straight from the light which turned green ahead of ours.

We weren't too far behind once we got on San Miguel and Adrian and I were able to make some ground hoping to catch them before Spyglass.  They did make the left turn ahead of us where we had to stop and wait for an ambulance and some traffic to go by, so Jeremy, Vince and Jaffe were not visible once we finally got on that street.

My plan was to pace Adrian so that we can hopefully ride and work together to reel the others ahead of us in at a later point of the route.  However, he ended up kicking it up a notch right away on Spyglass and began to pull away from me.  I almost started to pick my pace up just to try and not get dropped, but I didn't think his pace was doable for the length of the hill.  Sure enough, he slowed and slowed a lot allowing me to pass him midway up.  I could see Jaffe ahead of me where I didn't want to expend too much energy to catch him, but I'll stay behind just enough to maybe work with him once we got on San Joaquin.  However, he opted for his own creative way of crossing the street (details withheld but you can just imagine what that was like) whereas I decided to wait and do so less creatively.

When the light wouldn't turn green, I opted to hit the button and sure enough, this allowed for an approaching Adrian to catch it just perfectly where he used the momentum to take off and gap me pretty good.  I wasn't going to kill myself here to try and catch him, but I kept the gap relatively manageable hoping to close it once we got near the top.  I was almost on him when we got to Ridge Park, but he decided to go straight whereas Jaffe had stopped to see what we were doing.  I called out to Adrian telling him he missed the turn and told Jaffe to get going, but I kept pedaling after I made the turn where the two eventually made their way back onto my rear wheel.

It was nice to see that Jeremy and Vince had waited for us but they took off ahead of me where it took some work just to be able to get on their wheel with the two guys in tow behind me.  By the time we reached Pelican, we were all together.

Jeremy led us onto Pelican, but Adrian and Jaffe decided to kick it up a notch as we climbed the first section where Jeremy and Vince didn't seem to panic and still managed to reel both of them back in.  Vince had taken the front eventually and was taking turns with Adrian while I got low and let gravity do its thing allowing me to get some momentum right before the climb at the bottom.  I took off and Vince jumped on and we had a pretty good pace going but had to stop just at the top due to a light.  We may have been able to contest the KOM had that not been the case based on running a comparison between our run and Adrian's or Galen's, but now we'll never know.

Having to stop and start all over again took my breath away, so once the light turned green, Adrian, Vince and Jeremy had taken off ahead of me.  I was slowly trying to make my way onto their rear wheel but they had a pretty good gap on me and started working together on PCH.  Fortunately, Adrian had taken the front at one point and while his pace was fast initially, it dropped to a pace where I was able to latch onto them eventually.  I even took a pull at the end before hitting CDM, but I felt worked given the heat and humidity once we got to the stop light.  Jaffe had caught up to us here as we were waiting to make the right onto Poppy.

When we crossed, I was again off the back since they guys like to take off fast and it took until after getting onto Ocean to get back behind Vince.  In all honesty, I was ready to quit but the thought of never hearing the end of it plagued my mind forcing me to continue.

Jeremy and Adrian led us through CDM and eventually onto Avocado.  Jeremy started us off on PCH and had a pretty good pull where I really had to drop down low just to be able to latch on.  We got caught on the first light after, but Jeremy started us off again.  This time, Adrian was behind him and I was behind Adrian.  Adrian eventually relieved Jeremy and started pulling pretty hard, but I was on him and just waiting for my turn.  Once he started to slow, I made my way past and led us to Jamboree.

We all crossed onto Back Bay drive together, and Vince had us going from there.  Eventually, Jeremy and Adrian took the front and then I relieved them trying to keep a good pace on Back Bay.  Jaffe eventually ended up relieving me and then the rotations continued.  Due to a quick rotation out from Jaffe and some separation at one of the turns, I ended up getting behind him in the pace, but I did make my way past him eventually to take another pull.

It was during my last pull that Vince goes sprinting by attempting the breakaway.  I don't know why I'm not better prepared for that given how often he's done that in the past, but I just sat and watched him go by along with Adrian who ended up sprinting after him as well.  I looked back and waited for Jeremy to pass, and he started working to close the gap ahead of us.  Eventually, Jeremy did manage to reel Adrian in where we both were able to pass him just before the hill pitch at the end.

On Jamboree, Vince kept the lead up and Jeremy eventually caught him and both stayed ahead of me all the way to the top.  Fortunately, I was able to catch the left turn light onto Bison with them along with Jaffe as well.  The all took off ahead of me as I desperately tried to recover, but I was fortunate enough that the light on McArthur turned red allowing me to regroup with them.  It was here where Jeremy asked, "Hey Rich, I think I know what you're always talking about with regard to Adrian blowing up" or something to that effect. Obviously, Jeremy now knows I just call it the way I see it.

When we took off from the light, we stayed together for the most part and then Jeremy started turning it up after the last light over the 73.  Vince took the next pull keeping the pace up, and in order for Vince not to say he made me his son, I cranked it up just a little bit more after to separate from the two.  I'm sure I'll pay for that in the future.

Despite the small group, the pace was still pretty fast today and definitely not a pace one should run under these weather conditions.  I was on the verge of a heat stroke at the gym and could almost sense people pointing and laughing at me based on how hot and sweaty I was from today's ride.

Great trainer today, folks.  My stomach still hasn't fully recovered.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment