Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lunch Ride - BB PCH CDM NPC Pelican San Joaquin Horseshoe McArthur

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/19505966

Attendees:  Todd, Adrian, Jeremy, Vin, Hiroshi, Jaffe and Mitchell

Weather:  warm and muggy, but the overcast helped although you couldn't tell from how sweaty I was

Highlights

  • My wingman, Mitchell, was finally back out with us again.  We may need to talk to him about his shorts selection though (wink wink)
  • My BMC was back, and while she finally rode great again (don't ask me about the bike shop debacle unless you want to see me look annoyed), I was not looking forward to climbing up Pelican on it.
  • Todd was actually in somewhat of a mood to regroup today.  Maybe that explains the unusual weather.  This was only until he ditched us on San Joaquin though.  :) 
  • We actually had a nice warm up pace in the beginning.  Once we realized Adrian and Vin got caught at the light at the bottom of California, we took it easy all the way to the top of Back Bay.  Wha?!?   I took the front and set a mild pace initially, but Todd kicked it up just a little after (more to help me than anything else I'm sure...whatta guy)
  • Once we regrouped, we had a pretty good pace on BB with Todd and Jeremy getting a bit of a gap early on.  However, we were able to close the gap (which I did help out early on but went to the back as I indicated I would since my legs still recovering from yesterday's commute + run and this morning's spin...but who's counting?) 
  • It was a good pace and everyone 'seemed' okay to rotate in front of me.  What they said about me behind my back, however, may be all together different.  
  • I think at the end of BB, Hiroshi kicked it up a notch for a sprint finish?  Or was I hallucinating?
  • When we made a right on Jamboree to head to PCH, Todd and Jeremy kicked it up a notch up the hill of course, so I picked up my pace a little and led the rest behind me.  See?  I do some work. 
  • When we got on PCH, Todd and Jeremy had started to gap Jaffe and Hiroshi, so seeing as to no one else taking an interest to help, I once again jumped to the front not to close the gap per se but just to keep the gap manageable unless someone wanted to help otherwise.  Of course, no one did, so when they got through a light that stopped us, all I got was a bunch of yapping from the others about why I didn't close the gap.  Typical.  
  • Based on the above, I once again decided the back would be fine for me once the light turned green.  
  • Todd and Jeremy slowed their pace allowing us to catch up right before we got back on Poppy to head toward PCH.  Cool. 
  • The group got strung out again once we started going, so I made my way in front of Jaffe and pulled him past Hiroshi as we made our way toward NPC.  Of course, it took seconds for the light to turn green to cross after.  
  • Going up NPC, it was no surprise the first person I pass was Adrian, who had clung to the front on PCH.  ha ha. 
  • I made my way up to the group as we made the left onto Pelican and I was content with staying with Mitchell, Hiroshi and Vin while Todd and Jeremy broke away.  Heck, the plan was to regroup after Pelican anyway, so why kill it?  (as if I could have done anything differently)
  • It was cool to stay with the guys as we climbed up the first couple crests, but Hiroshi had gapped us on the final climb.  I tried to manage my pace and hoped to pull Jaffe and Vin with me as I made my way to Hiroshi, but I guess they were a no-go.  
  • I passed Hiroshi as he seemed to tire a bit, but his Samurai spirit wanted to push on, so he made his way past me afterwards.  Of course, my "Pacquio" spirit saved it to just before the crest and I once again returned the favor before making it over the hill. 
  • We regrouped after turning left onto NPC, and the funny thing is, Todd and a few others already started gapping everyone as I tried to sit in the back hoping we would stay together. When I realized that those in front of me weren't interested, once again I made my way past to try to keep the gap from being outright ridiculous.  
  • Todd must have been tired of the waiting game, and opted to breakaway catching the light on Ridge Park while the rest of us were relegated to stopping.   That was the last we seen of LTJ.  
  • The rest of us, except for Adrian, made our way onto San Joaquin together.  I'm still unsure if his choice to stop was based on being a lawful citizen and fully adhering to traffic signals or just needing to rest, but we'll leave that for the imagination. 
  • On the Horseshoe, Jeremy and Mitchell (or was it Hiroshi) broke away and once again (almost like a chorus to a song) no one seemed to want to respond.  Of course, I took the front and tried to keep the gap manageable, and Vin did end up helping a bit here to do so.  I did have to finish the loop and work towards closing in on the two ahead of us, which fortunately was able to occur just after the first stop light after the descent down San Joaquin.  
  • Jeremy took the lead for a bit and traded pulls with me, but he let me start us off on McArthur.  He and Adrian (who skipped the Horseshoe...now did I really need to mention this?) went by and started hammering where I looked to see if anyone else was going to keep the paceline (insert chorus here), but seeing that no one did, I picked up the pace and started working my way toward and past Jeremy first, and then toward and past Adrian after.  Of course, it was at this point Vin decided to sprint by to an awaiting red light on Bonita Canyon/Ford.  I would have given chase if I were only able to stand and sprint, which my thighs clearly were absent of any water and minerals at that point.
  • After rounding to Bison behind some truck with Adrian as others had once again gapped us at that point, I was waiting to see (or watch) who was going to sprint since this is customary after the 73.  Oddly enough, no one did so I cruised by everyone seated expecting to be passed (and laughed at) but that didn't happen either.  What a weird day.  
Good training ride, gents.  I'll be commuting again tomorrow.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment