Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lunch Ride - Turtle Rock Ring Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/19288666

Attendees:  Marc, Adrian, Jeremy, Hiroshi, Jaffe and me

Highlights:

  • Another hot AND windy ride today making for less than desirable conditions
  • Small group came out with original intentions to take it easy, but you know how that goes
  • Adrian, Hiroshi, Jeremy and Jaffe were kicking it up early on and I struggled as early as E. Peltason.  When Marc passes you, it's going to be a long day.  Just kidding, Marc!
  • I was off the back going toward Sunnyhill on the first Shady rise, so it was just enough to keep everyone in sight.  This continued down Turtle Rock where I just couldn't hold the pace of the group as they descended down toward Campus.  
  • I was finally able to breathe a little once we started climbing the other side, but 4 of the guys had a good lead ahead of me with Adrian actually leading the pack.  Jeremy reeled him in eventually though, and I was able to catch up to both of them just before we got on the bike trail heading up Shady.  
  • A cyclist coming the opposite direction nearly took Jeremy out as he rode the center of the sidewalk just as we were getting on it.  Jeremy was able to keep the bike up but he was concerned about what may have happened to his wheels.  I, too, ended up riding into the dirt but I was a little slower going onto it where the bike was fine. 
  • Adrian had kept going and got ahead of us for a while and ended up mixing it up with a female.  He passed her, but she returned the favor riling up his BAM instincts.  He ended up passing her again, but she was definitely chasing him down according to him.  
  • We got going again after the off trail incident, and Jeremy led first but I finally took the front and led us up and over the hill.  
  • Once we got on the bike trail by the 405, Jeremy, Jaffe and I started taking turns and slowly reeled Adrian in by the time we got to Ridgeline.
  • Once we went up Ridgeline, Jeremy gapped early, which I knew was our mistake.  He kept his distance all the way up to the top and down to Campus, but I was just able to come up behind him once we got to Culver.  Adrian and Jaffe rolled in shortly after.
  • Jaffe started us off on Culver, but Adrian and I started to take turns after. 
  • Jeremy and Jaffe rotated in after we passed Anteater/Shady.  
  • Since Jeremy rode in this morning, he opted to take McArthur back instead of hitting the condo.  Thanks for holding back today!
  • Adrian, Jaffe and I continued to the condo, where Adrian had a good run up it where he didn't seem to run out of energy all the way to Bison.  He told me he must have eaten some of Jeremy's Wheaties this morning.  
  • I tried to setup Adrian for a sprint after the 73, and was able to snap early on.  However, when I thought I had gapped him and decided to look behind me to my right, he pulls up to my left and passes me just before California.  Nice.
  • These lunch rides are tough and the Roscoe's chicken with gravy and grits I had yesterday did not serve me well today.  HA HA
Thanks for the training, gents.  


No comments:

Post a Comment