Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lunch Ride - Not Portola and Back

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/16134327

So last year, I vowed to the others that I would not turn down any hill training rides due to all that we did last  year:  L'Etape, Bear, Death Ride, Foothills, etc.  This year, I made no such promise.  When I originally proposed the route today, it was to go up Portola and Back with a California finish for Jeremy to give that segment a go again.  Lo and behold I was Shanghai'd into changing the route for a more hilly ride despite my attempts to keep it flatter...at least it wasn't the Puke Route.  Ironically, my attempts to keep the group together was in vain because the guys who wanted to charge the hills ended up breaking away and riding on their own anyway.  Sorry to those who may have been disappointed with the expectation to do Portola.

Todd, Jeremy and Galen are definitely intent on intensifying their workouts and broke away from the group early on.  They were off the front already on Anteater, but fortunately were caught on the light heading toward San Miguel where a majority of us were able to regroup again.   From there, they led up to Spyglass, but we got split up due to some misunderstanding as to how to cross onto the street (from across vs. the right turn lane).  At the pace they were going, I took advantage along with Shannon as we made our way to Spyglass where I was able to save some for San Joaquin.

The light had turned green to go left on San Joaquin just as the guys were approaching, so they had some momentum for that climb.  Fortunately, Shannon and I were able to latch on to both Todd and Galen who were alternating to reel Jeremy in, since Jeremy made an early break attempt.

After we all reached the top together, Todd and Galen waited to cross Ridge Park on San Joaquin but after seeing Shannon turn right on Ridge Park to hit NPC, I was all over it.  Jeremy thought it was a good idea also, and decided to follow subsequently.  He reeled me in pretty easily, and then worked to close the gap on Shannon.  Galen and Todd caught all of us up, and we headed down NPC toward Pelican together.

On the rise, I was struggling to keep the pace of the guys in front of me, and may have inadvertently slowed Shannon up in the process (sorry).  Anyway, the 4 guys broke me off before the last rise, and I was on my own to the top.

Thankfully, Vin and Jaffe had caught me at the light and they charged ahead on NPC where as Vin passed, he asked me if I was doing Vista.  I really didn't want to, but I told him yes.  The two got a little head start on me as we rounded to Vista, and we could see the 4 guys ahead of us making their way up the hill.  I was able to make my way past Vin and Jaffe, but Vin ended up catching me on the false flat after.  I gapped him a little on the last climb up, but he was able to reel me back in at the top.  Nice work.

Shannon had been waiting for us at the top to regroup, but Vin went ahead.  I decided to wait a little too, but I was pretty cooked so I ended up going ahead.  I ended up meeting Vin at the bottom as he waited, and Jaffe caught both of us at the light to San Joaquin.  We took turns up front as we headed up and over the other side, but as we neared McArthur, I was able to squeeze between a truck and the curb and chose it as a moment to go into TT mode.

Now I thought I was moving pretty fast, but when I looked over my shoulder, I saw a guy in a white jersey closing in on me and doing so fast.  I remembered Adrian wore yellow, Vin wore black and Jaffe wore blue (yup, that same blue one he's had for the last 3 years), so I realized it must be Shannon.  I tried to keep the pace up, but I considered him passing me like death and taxes...inevitable.  Once he passed, I did try to latch on, but just couldn't really get on his wheel.  He broke away at the light by the shopping center after Bison, and Vin and Jaffe had caught me at that point.  We rode together for the rest of the way where thankfully, no one wanted to sprint.

Another hill trainer in the books, gents.  Sorry again and thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment