Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Morning Ride - Shady Jeffrey Orchard Hills Peters Canyon Bike Trail BB PCH NPC

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/20042856

Shannon wanted to get an early morning ride in to beat the heat vs. riding at lunch, and boy was this a good call.  It was about 77 degrees already when we got back, and that was only 8 a.m.  We sent out an e-mail to recruit others, and Gary answered the call although not realizing it was not the standard 30 mile route we typically do.  We were thinking of doing a 46 miler originally through the canyons, but we decided to opt for a 40 mile loop we used to train in the past for the Stagecoach.  Another good call.

When we were about to start, my Garmin (or actually my wife's) was showing low battery.  It must have kicked on at some point and drained, so I opted to use the Strava app on my iPhone instead.  Some data is better than none, but I like Garmin better for sure.

The pace initially was pretty mild, and Gary and I would take turns (or at least I would try to pass him) all the way out to Bonita Canyon/Culver.  Every time I'd pass, he'd sneak by again and personally, I ain't complaining.

I started us off going up Shady, but Shannon and Gary relieved me and we started rotating reminiscent of the good ol' days.  Up and over Shady we went, down the bike path beside the 405, and up and over the bridge to get on Jeffrey.  We saw a few crews here and there and thought some may jump in our paceline as we passed, but no one ever did.  Good.

The rotations continued until up and over the 5 freeway, but Shannon and I started alternating after a while to help Gary who hasn't been out with us in like forever.  :)  We passed a couple more people on the way to Portola, and Shannon had mentioned that he'd probably let me do more work than normal today.  Thanks?  HA HA.  I don't mind as I 1) need the workout and 2) owe the guy for towing me as much as he typically does.

We regrouped at Portola with Gary, and Shannon led us initially, but I took the front and led us up and over the Orchard Hills loop.  We kind of got a way from Gary a little here, but not too much and we were shortly able to regroup back on Portola.

When we started heading down the bike trail on Peter's Canyon, I had set up a good pace, but both Shannon and Gary kept pushing it up a notch when they'd pass and rotate up front.  Toward the tail end of the trails, I was on TT mode while the other two guys hung back probably because they were tired of getting my sweat all over them.

I led us on Harvard us well, but Shannon took the front at one of the lights and led us back to the bike trail on Barranca.  I took the front just before the bridge, and then the two of us started working together to keep the pace up with Gary also taking a pull or two.  When we got to University, I took the front and had a pretty decent pace as we headed to California when Gary comes beside me and says something like "let's go."  Then he starts to sprint away with Shannon following him.  I was a little worked for a sprint to California, so I just kept my pace steady instead, which hopefully would also allow me to have some left in the tank for the rest of the ride being that we still had to make our way down BB and up NPC.

After the two guys sprinted, I slowly made my way past them and took the front again leading us out to Back Bay.  As we neared Back Bay, however, Shannon asked if I knew whether or not Gary would turn off since he wasn't anywhere to be seen.  I told him I figure he might since I don't think he was planning to do the whole 40 with us, but we waited at the top of Back Bay for him just in case.  When we saw he wasn't coming, we took off.

Shannon fell a little off in the beginning of Back Bay, but quickly reeled me in and started rotating with me all the way throughout.  He picked it up a notch after we passed San Joaquin, so all I could do was hang on until we got to the gate.  I took the front then and led us up Jamboree and on PCH initially.  Then we started rotating again albeit at longer intervals.  We did reel a guy in on a TT bike in CDM, and he looked a bit surprised as we passed him.  I hope he saw the jersey we were wearing (BRCM black) and thought to himself, "I heard those guys were fast...now I know!"  HA HA

Shannon led the last part of PCH just before we got to NPC, and we got a little separated after crossing PCH to start the hill climb.  Shannon was just a little bit ahead of me, and I was trying to pace myself and not try and jump on his wheel and blow myself up in the process.  So much for that strategy as Shannon started pulling away continuously after the passing the first Pelican.  He gapped me so bad, I had to turn around and make sure I wasn't going backwards.  I mean, the dude lit me up like doobage in a Fridays movie (not condoned by any means, boys and girls...it's just a movie reference).  

By the time I got to the top, he was gone.  I thought he bailed and went into TT mode, but fortunately I saw he had waited for me just after the Ridge Park light.  Yippee!  We started going down the other side together, but had to slow/stop for a couple of the lights (now that school is in session).  After we got past the last light, I took off and led us down to Bonita Canyon.  I also led on Bonita Canyon after making sure we both made the light at the bottom, and just put my head down to finish out the rest of the ride strong.  I wanted to purge what energy I had left, so I just kept going until I got back to Bldg 11.

Now I saw Gary as I was going in the gym and he asked me about NPC.  I told him how Shannon did what Shannon does on there and that's pretty much what anyone should expect who's in the know.  What a beast.

Glad that's over with, now what to do for lunch?  Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment