Tuesday, September 18, 2012

BRCM Lunch - Starcrest Shady Summit Condo Loop (loaded!)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/22417806

Attendees:  Shannon, Galen, Vince, Todd, Adrian, Jeremy, Vin, Hiroshi and me

In the locker room, I had indicated I was running later and hiding in the back for the ride.  Shannon expressed his disappointment with me...again.  Sorry, big guy!

Got new shoes and cleats where my left foot had my toe in too much during the ride.  Not really relevant, but I'm writing the blog so....

Jeremy led us out pretty much all the way out to Bonita Canyon/Campus.   Damn, kid, that was NOT a warm-up pace.  Todd, being the gracious man that he is, did thank him for the tow.

On Culver, the pace was pretty fast where I was already off the back early on.  Vince went by and closed the gap that was created and we both just hung out in back while we watched Galen and Adrian go for that segment.   Way too windy though.  In fact, it was pretty windy throughout.

We all were together again as we made our way onto Campus and up Turtle Rock.  Okay, so most of us were together, but Todd broke away early and pretty much stayed ahead all the way to the top of Starcrest.
I started to make my way up Starcrest and was just behind Galen and Jeremy when Shannon passed us all.  I was trying to downshift to spin up, and failed after a few attempts, but got on it just after I stood back up again.  This helped me get by Jeremy, who hates this hill, and come up with Galen to the regroup point at the top.  Jeremy, Vin, Hiroshi and Adrian made their way up and we were all off and together again.

Going down Ridgeline, I was able to get some momentum just after the Turtle Rock stop sign and was able to make my way just behind Galen.  I tried to pass at one point, but this guy isn't easy to pass, so I fell back in line behind him.  Adrian, with his standard crank, started to jam past us, but Galen was able to reel him back in just before we got to the light at the bottom.

We got on the bike path and already the pace started to pick up right away.  I was toward the back again and I felt like I was just always struggling to close on the guy in front of me.  Vince had even come around at one point, but even staying on his wheel was a chore.  I think I did start to drop at one point and hoped that Adrian, who was behind me, would help close that gap.  When Adrian passed me, I was like "Yes!"  Then without any notification, he slowed down taking me with him off of their wheel.  Thanks?

Vince was conserving his power, and rightfully so in this group especially after having to pass me and close the gap that I left, so he was having other people rotate in front of him.  When he tried to let Jeremy rotate after taking his pull in front of him, the pace picked up just at that time, and Jeremy pulled a Roberto Duran and proclaimed "no mas."  Vince was able to respond just in time and get back on the pain train.

Now I know I wasn't going to catch the pain train, so I was fine just trying to manage my pace.  Jeremy was a bit behind me, but he made his way back up to me as we were getting ready to go up Shady.  He did pass me, but I jumped on and then worked my way beside him as we climbed.  I was certain he'd pull ahead again, but then I started to pass and pull away.  Wha?  I thought he was on my wheel, but when I looked back, he wasn't.

I thought he was closing in at one point on the descent, but once I got back on the road, I didn't see him until I got to the light at Bonita Canyon.  I saw the other guys make the left turn in front of me, but got caught on the red light.  There, Jeremy caught me and he did not look too happy. I think I tried talking to him a little bit, but he seemed more interested in catching the other guys at the time.

When we took off, I knew he had some pent up energy so I rode behind him at first on Bonita Canyon.  However, as we climbed up Turtle Ridge, I led us up to Summit where I know he likes that hill.  Given his youthful enthusiasm, I thought a good goal would just be to set the pace up the hill.  Another good goal was to pass at the last section as deemed protocol for BRCM lunch rides.  Check and check.  Thanks again, Jer!

We regrouped some at the top of Summit as planned, and more so by the time we got on Bonita Canyon, even bringing Hiroshi and Vin back into the bunch.  Then we were off again.  I was a little more willing to take pulls at this point, so I did.  I even got some instant kudos from Galen at one point when I jumped back up in front of Todd on the 2nd to the last climb before McArthur.  That got the group riled up though, and everyone went whizzing by after.   Thank the Lord the light was red at that point.

Once we took off from the light, the group kept a fairly mellow pace in anticipation of the condo climb.  After hitting the light up top, Vince decided to be the first to bring the pace up and broke away for a bit with others giving chase.  I rounded the turn just behind Vin, so it was perfect for me given I had plenty of targets to aim for.  After all, it is still my condo, right?

Being in the right gear and having saved just enough, I found a rhythm that allowed me to close in and pass the group that was climbing together at a pretty good clip.  I was feeling good but Galen was a pretty good distance away from me.  He crested ahead of me, but I had momentum where I was able to pass him just before Bison.  That just goes to show that anyone can live in my condo, but in the end, I can still clean the house.  HA HA.  I'm sure I'll pay for saying that.

I think the guys were setting up a sprint to California on Bison, but I just wanted to make it back at that point after the Condo run.  Not sure who took it, but it looked like Adrian, Vin and Galen were giving that last section a go.  I was too far back to see.

Good training today, gents!  Thanks!

1 comment: