Friday, September 7, 2012

BRCM Morning Trainer - Shady 133 PCH NPC Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/21147733

Contemplated riding to work this morning, but since Vince solicited a morning ride with Galen and Jeremy going, I figured I may as well since there's nothing like being turned inside out to start my day.  Although Vince had selected a couple route options, one which included an out and back to Modjeska, we opted for the traditional Shady 133 PCH route but with an NPC finish vs. Back Bay.  Have I mentioned I hate NPC? Have I further mentioned I hate NPC while riding with the BRCM crew?

We all met up at 6:15 ready to go, but after inspecting Galen's rear tire, it was decided he should probably address a sidewall issue with a patch rather than take a chance on being unsafe.  While Jeremy helped him with this, Vince decided he wanted to "pull an Eddie" and get a head start with a more realistic warm-up.  It didn't take much convincing for me to do the same, and off we went together.  Vince and I kept a decent pace heading out to Bonita Canyon, and we thought we'd still have plenty of time to catch up.  However, as we were coming up on the Bonita Canyon intersection, Vince pointed out how the two were coming up behind us.  Of course, Jeremy wasn't too happy with the pace they had to use for starters, but I assured him it was good training.  HA HA

Now I was hoping to not have to work again until the dreaded 133 death zone, but I did a couple rotations after we crested Shady and through the Quail Hill area.  Vince was willing to do more work, but he and Jeremy also knew better where we all let Galen finish out Laguna Canyon and lead us up 133.  Jeremy did take the front early on the 133, but the Galen pain train was on shortly after and we all just tucked in and worked to stay on the guy's wheel for the rest of the hill.  23.7 mph average going up that thing is pretty crazy, don't you think?

Vince took the front and I, too, finally got back in the rotation and the 4 of us were just pushing the pace down the hill after.  Admittedly, I was struggling to stay on at the pace they were going and with all the surging taking place, so I may have skipped a pull just trying to not get dropped.  Vince took one mean pull but ended up paying for it after getting relieved from being up front and fell off a bit.   Honestly, I don't know how I stayed on especially after Galen really cranked it up a notch near the bottom.

When we regrouped on PCH, I decided it would not be a good strategic decision to keep rotating with the guys.   With NPC looming, humility was the best strategy here, so I was either behind Galen or Jeremy as we made our way through there.  Galen had started to break away at one point, but Vince stepped up and offered to close that gap.  You gotta love the guy for doing that despite the pending climb.

We all pretty much came up on NPC together, and Galen and Jeremy led the way early on.  I decided to get off the seat and climb which did eventually push me up front.  However, we hit the first Pelican light where I lost my cadence and decided to sit/spin from there.  I held the front and tried to just keep the pace steady for the climb up the hill.  I got some kudos from Galen for my pace, which was encouraging, but when he and Jeremy passed me, I wondered if I'd have enough left to stay with them.  Fortunately, I did, but there was definitely a lot of inner dialog going on with the conversation going like this:  Rest and drop off!  No, keep pedaling and man up!  No, your heart is going to stop!  Nuh-uh, I think I can even pass them again!  Oh, now you're just being dumb.

We regrouped at the top and got going to head down the other side.  Jeremy, the overachiever (oh to be young), needed to get more climbing in and opted for a Vista detour, so after passing that street it was just the 3 of us left.  Galen must have been feeling pretty good, as he was already turning the screw up even before we got past San Joaquin creating a little gap early on.  Fortunately, we were both able to roll up on him and start working the downhill.  The sucky part about going down this side at this time of the year is that it's almost guaranteed that we'll stop given that school is back in session.  Once we got past the lights, however, we picked it up and it was work just trying to keep up since these guys descend so fast.  Having a compact crank, despite Galen having the same, is not ideal for descending with these guys.

As we reached the bottom, Galen mentioned something about how we have 7 minutes to beat his PR for this route.  He started us out after the light, and I'm thinking okay maybe he'll be interested in beating his record so I'll just ride behind him and try to hang on.  When we went under the 73, I decided we can go a little faster and took the front and turned it up a notch.  I guess I did okay, since the guys let me stay up there all the way until we got around to Bison.   Galen passed me and led but I got up beside him just after the last light over the 73.  That's when he decided to drop the hammer.  I tried to react but ended up on a bigger gear where I thought I'd just try to muscle through it.  Bad idea as he started to pull past me and that's pretty much all I have to say about that...except for maybe "nice job, Galen!"

Another morning trainer done...yes!  TGIFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment