Thursday, September 27, 2012

Morning Trainer with Galen - Standard Loop with Shortcut due to Flat

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/23298129

Anyone want to get a hold of me by phone, please see Galen as he definitely had my number today.  He was saying early on in the ride he wasn't feeling it, so I did throw caution to the wind and pushed up front more often than I would before the 133.   I know how hard he pushes up that damn hill, but I took the bait anyway just for the sake of good training.  My word to the naive and mortal...don't do it.  A select few in our group can get away with it, but I did say "mortal," didn't I?

Our time going up Anteater and Shady were nothing to brag about, but that is probably more reason to expect that Galen is going to punish you.  I was up front on the way to Laguna Canyon, but he took the front just before we got on it and already started to make that section hurt.  I wasn't about to take the front anytime after that, but it didn't matter.  Once we got on the 133, I stayed on his wheel for about a little halfway up, but then he just started to kill it.  Watching him pull away was quite impressive (and humbling), but it was one of those things where you can see it happening but you just can't do anything about it.  He did get his PR going up that hill, so lesson for today would be to tire him out just a little more before going up that hill.  He LOVES that hill.

Over the crest, I was thinking I was riding on my own since he gapped me pretty good, but he did ended up turning out to wait for me, but I didn't realize it until after I passed him.  Slowing down to wait for him, he rolls up and immediately takes the front and off we went.  I was barely hanging on, but I did manage to push up front just after the 73.  He took over after a while, and again I was just hanging on for my life.  I did manage to finally pass closer to the bottom just before the kicker hill that leads to PCH, but he did resume pulling once we were on PCH.

I was really feeling worked as we went through Laguna Beach, but I hung on and even took a pull for a bit.  Once we started climbing before the drop by the beach though, Galen got up front and I was just doing all I could to stay on.  When we did start to descend, he started to pull away from me a bit, but my bike felt like it was vibrating more than usual.  As he pulled away on the climb after, I stopped at the bottom to find that I had gotten a flat on my rear tire.  Now some may sigh after getting a flat on a ride, but inside I was jumping with joy.  I figured Galen was gone and I can ride a normal pace after fixing my tire and not feel so close to death.  Lo and behold, Galen had realized I was off the back and came back to help fix my flat.  Damn!  HAHA.  Actually, it worked out well because my first attempt to fix it failed so I needed to use his spare and CO2 dispenser (mine broke!!!) to get it done.

Due to the delay, we opted to cut the ride short and take McArthur back vs. NPC or Back Bay.   I was still taking turns despite just feeling beaten up, but once we got to the top of McArthur just before the San Joaquin intersection, Galen asked me if I was ready to have some fun.  "Fun" he says.  His version of fun was dropping me like a bad habit there as well.  Nice work!

The rest of the ride was uneventful, but nonstop work nonetheless.  Not as long as usual, but intensity once again made up for distance today.  Now I'm actually contemplating skipping any training at lunch and calling my wife to take me out.  It's definitely how I felt right after the ride, but that tide may slowly be shifting back. I have yet to call her.

Thanks for the training, Galen.  Amazing power out there, bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment