Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lunch Ride - What We Lack in Miles, We Make Up for In Intensity

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/22618413

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince, Todd, Jeremy, Vin, Jaffe and me

As the title states, we didn't do our typical ~20 mile distance during the ride, and it definitely wasn't because there was a ton of elevation gain, but nevertheless, the intensity was still there.  Although Galen didn't make it out having sent out an e-mail indicating he couldn't make it (to which everyone breathed a sigh of relief), the pain was definitely still there.  In fact, it may even be due to his absence given that more people had to work that made it so painful.  It's a toss up really...it hurts both ways...especially when Shannon, Todd, Vince, Jeremy and others are out for punishment.

Weather-wise, it was fairly warm in the beginning, but once we headed toward the coast, the weather did cool down a little making it more tolerable.  That didn't keep me from sweating a bunch, but then again, nothing does.

In typical fashion, the pace was fast heading out through Anteater all the way to Bonita Canyon.  Gaps form even that early, so you just have to go with the flow I guess.  Despite this, everyone was still together by the time we started up NPC.

I was still "warming up" at that point, but my goal was just to let Shannon set my pace.  Jeremy and Todd had their own intentions, with Jeremy breaking away early on.  Shannon did pull me past others as we made our way up, but his pace got too hot for me where I opted out before we got to the light before the 73 underpass.  I saw him make his way to Todd where the two of them chased Jeremy down.  Jeremy had indicated that his Garmin was not started, so there was no point in trying to keep the pace up and stay ahead of Todd and Shannon.  Not sure why he didn't jump on with them though (wink wink).  I did make my way closer to Jeremy by the top, and Vince and Vin also caught us at San Joaquin.  We caught Shannon and Todd and the subsequent light.

In order to follow rule #5, I did opt to start helping with the rotations after that light and would do my fair share of pulls.  Hopefully, the others agree, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  On Pelican, I did pull up to the front as we started to near the crest for the first downhill.  Then, everyone was swarming as we headed down to the bottom for the climb up the other side.  We all pretty much stayed together climbing up and then making our way down the other side.  Vin was even leading at one point.  Wha?  J/K.

As we rounded PCH from NPC, Todd and Vince were looking like they were going for a little breakaway and had a fairly good gap on the rest of us.  We were, however, able to close that gap and make it to CDM pretty  much together (despite the cluster that downtown CDM traffic has to offer).

Going through the Ocean way was rather uneventful, so let's put you back in the action by talking about getting back on PCH from Avocado.  The pace was pretty amped as we headed toward Jamboree, and after being caught a light, was even more so right after.  I think Shannon was up front doing what he does...causing pain.

When we got to Back Bay, it was definitely nutty.  Jeremy led us off and everyone took their turn to keep the pace up...way up.  It was no surprise to me that Todd was able to move up on the Strava ladder to 4th based on today's pace.  Being that segment leader (ahem), it was my 3rd best time.  Considering that it didn't feel like we had any type of massive tailwind or anything to achieve this, pretty damn fast if you ask me.

It was a little race to the top between Jeremy, Todd and I, and after that run, that was no small feat.  I think Jeremy may have nosed me out but I was on the inside closest to the sidewalk, so I got on it first.  I was in recovery mode at that point and tried to keep the pace up, but Todd jumped ahead and started cranking once again.  I was on his wheel as we made the left onto Jamboree, but got a little snapped off after going under the Jamboree underpass.  Jeremy came around from behind me at that point and started to close on Todd and eventually took the front.   Todd was rotating off the front, and I was still not close enough where I called out to let him know to jump in behind Jeremy.  They were moving, so I had to dig deep just to be able to make my way up to Todd's wheel again.  When Todd started to pass Jeremy, all I could do was hang on until we got to California.  At the light, there was a lady who was on a bike that had arrived there before us, and it was a little embarrassing to look like I was having an asthma attack right in front of her.  Thanks, guys.

When the light turned green, Todd and Jeremy took off and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to hang on at that point given the madness on BB.  I'm still not sure how Todd described that section in an e-mail as the "easy part."  Anyway, the two got caught at the first light and this was just enough for me to be able to recover more.  When it turned green, Todd took off with Jeremy in tow, but I had latched on along with Vin behind me.

Todd had a good pace climbing California, so we all sat comfortably in his draft as he towed us up the hill.  In typical BAM fashion though, I decided to amp it up a notched at the last little climb to see if anyone would follow.  Kinda cheesy, but we do what we do during these lunch rides, am I right fellas?  Fellas?  Hello?

Definitely another intense ride today.   Thanks for coming out, gents!


No comments:

Post a Comment