Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Lunch Ride - San Miguel Spyglass San Joaq NPC Pelican PCH CDM BB Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/21651345

Attendees:  Jeremy, Shannon, Vince, Todd, Galen, Adrian, Vin, Jaffe, Paul B., and Hiroshi

Highlights:

  • Jeremy called out for a big group today and the BAMMERs responded.  Not always a good thing.
  • It was a wet ride today starting with a little drizzle from the beginning and turning into a wet drizzly mess up NPC.  We were fortunate to not have any incidents given the slick grounds.
  • I know we ALL train a lot, but I opted to sit in back for the ride since I didn't want to get worked with all the firepower we had on today's ride.  
  • We actually stayed together for the most part all the way to San Miguel, but Vince, Todd and Jeremy rushed up Spyglass like there was a party up top.  Shannon and Galen were close behind.  I was behind them but everyone was just behind me it seemed. 
  • We all got on San Joaquin together, and although it was a little strung out, the group was still fairly close together. 
  • We regrouped on NPC after Todd and Galen did their little extra credit and it was down Pelican.  
  • Adrian took off on Pelican, and Galen gave chase, while the rest of us tried to set up the hill at the bottom.  I got by Galen and Jeremy rolled past me near the top just as we were coming up on Adrian but stopped at the light.
  • Despite the wet grounds, we all pretty much handled it very well and still made the turn onto NPC and subsequently PCH at a good speed even with wet tires.
  • Galen and Shannon, the two worst people you want to try and chase down, broke away together, so I thought I'd go ahead and work to try and reel them in.  I was doing okay and was still willing to try, but I heard Todd and/or Adrian saying something behind me where I wasn't sure what it was.  I decided to give up the chase and slow only to have Todd go zooming by still trying to chase the two guys down.  It turns out Todd was telling Adrian to relieve me, but he couldn't.  HA HA.
  • We regrouped once again on Poppy and made it through CDM together.  I had a feeling though that getting back on PCH was going to be nutty...and it was.
  • The pace picked up really fast as expected, and all I could do was tuck down and jump on Jeremy's rear wheel.  
  • We did get stopped at one of the lights, but the guys got nutty again right after.  I believe Shannon and/or Galen were up there trying to make everyone hurt.   I did have visions of grandeur with thoughts of coming around and passing before we hit Jamboree, but that would have been cycling suicide.
  • When we made our way to Back Bay drive, we got a little separated due to the light situation, where we were all planning to wait to regroup.  Vince and Adrian had another idea, so they took off together while we rolled to see if Galen would roll up on us.  When we hit the gates, however, it was full speed ahead with 2 rabbits to chase.
  • Jeremy, Shannon, Todd and I were rotating and keeping the pace up trying to chase Vince and Adrian down, and it took about 2/3 of the way for us to do so.  Adrian was the first one to be passed with Todd calling out BAM! as we passed.  
  • Vince had a little more game and tried to sprint away as we started to gain on him, but there was just too many of us and we had momentum.  
  • Todd and Jeremy got to the top of Back Bay first and got across the street ahead of Shannon and I, but that probably wouldn't have made a difference (for me anyway) on Jamboree.  I was cooked.
  • When Shannon and I got near the top, Galen had made his way up to us and made the left turn light with Todd and Jeremy.  I'm sure he was just trying to avoid a final sprint to California with me.  Yeah, that's it. 
  • Vince, Adrian, Hiroshi (who did great considering he was on his TT bike), Vin and Shannon crossed Jamboree with me as we made our way down to McArthur.  
  • Vin and Hiroshi broke away early on, but I was watching Adrian to see what he was going to do sprint-wise.  After I saw that we were going to make the green on the 2nd light, I started to pick it up only to make my way onto Adrian's wheel as we chased Hiroshi and Vin down.  Hiroshi, we got, but Vin kept ahead of us and I was never able to pass Adrian before California.  Next time.  HA HA
It was nice to see such a good turnout today, and it was even nicer that we rode more as a group than usual. Hopefully, both will persist.  Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment