Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lunch Ride - I Expected To Go Solo But Always Enjoy BRCM Company

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/80098455

Although unspoken and definitely unplanned, Mondays and Wednesday have been days when some of us would get out on the TT bikes to do some training.  I had expected today to be the same but was pleasantly surprised to have Shannon, Jaffe and Hiroshi make it out today to join me on their road bikes.  Being I was the only one on the TT (aka cheater) bike, I would go ahead and take the front being 1) it was safer and 2) it IS a cheater bike.  Plus, at the speeds one can hold on these bikes, everyone could still get a good workout.
We opted to do triple BB as the cooler (temperature-wise) route since it's closer to the ocean.  However, I think a 97 degree average temperature isn't really considered "cool."   A Portola run would have cooked us for sure.

I was interested to keep us together as much as possible, but I knew Back Bay would probably be the hard part for some.  I was mindful not to take off right away once we got on the bike trail on University and even after making the right turn down into Back Bay, but after that I went into TT mode.  It was a little windy on the way out, so the average speed by the time we got up to PCH was only about 23.6.  Shannon, as expected, stayed with me, and Hiroshi (from all his CC riding) was there too.  Side note...Hiroshi is doing the Nautica Tri this weekend, so kudos to him for opting to come out with us and keeping up for the first pass.

As we went through the bike trail by the trailer park on our way for the 2nd pass through Back Bay, we saw an awaiting Jaffe making a U-turn upon our approach.  I called out to let him know I was going to pass him on his right (given he was riding on the left lane - ahem), and he latched on after we passed.  As we exited the bike trail (and on both occasions), there was cross traffic both times.  I did slow down, but I'm sorry to the guys behind if it seemed unsafe and wasn't enough...I tried.

The reverse pass through BB was definitely a lot more fun.  From a distance, we could see a decent sized group riding together ahead of us.  We seemed to be reeling them in little by little where I thought we would catch them before we got to the top of Back Bay.  They may have turned it on a little toward the end, but we still managed to see them at the top of Back Bay upon our arrival.  Too bad they turned right.

I led us up Jamboree and was trying to hold a decent pace, but Jaffe coming up beside me made me realize I could actually go a little faster...so I did.  Thanks for keeping me honest, Steve!  We pushed ahead and timed and made the first 3 lights, which includes San Joaquin.  We did get stopped at the following light, and after taking off from there Shannon gets a flat.  He got the flat fixed after a 2nd inner tube (much like what happened to me on Saturday), thanks to a crusty 5 dollar bill that Jaffe offered up to help cover the cut on Shannon's tire.

When we took off, we managed to catch green lights to PCH so we were back on pace in no time.  The pace was not as high going through the trailer park again, but by the time we got back on Back Bay drive Shannon and I were alone.

We started going again and seemed to have even a better pace on this last pass back.  Some time after we got passed San Joaquin, Shannon's BAM kicked in and he passed where he really brought the pace up (34-35ish).  This was despite having some shifting issue where I believe he ultimately had to drop it to a shorter gear just to keep it from jumping.  In any case, I latched on somewhat and was definitely working much more than I'm accustomed to when I'm in TT mode.  Doing so allowed me to keep the pace up once I passed him again to take the front, which resulted in some Strava bling for me in that section in the end.

Climbing the top of Back Bay after that pace was definitely more difficult than the last time, but when I saw a cyclist just ahead of me, I started to pick up the pace again as we headed toward University.  I was able to catch up to him just after the Jamboree underpass only to realize it was Ron Chan.  I kept the pace up all the way to California where Shannon came in just seconds behind me.  I would say that's impressive, but come on...it's Shannon!

Going up California still needed to get done, so Shannon started the pace up and I followed and eventually led us to the top.  It was definitely a great workout, especially considering the heat.  Maybe this can spawn a regular TT training session for us moving forward and put forth our best outing at the Stagecoach in January if we ultimately end up deciding to do it again...maybe...hopefully.  All I can say if we do is this:  Make no mistake, it's not revenge we're after.  It's a reckoning.  (Tombstone - 1993).

No comments:

Post a Comment