Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Team NFS Strikes Again

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/84846793

Today was a good team TT training ride.  It was fast, the rotations were more organized, and the pace wasn't anywhere near as erratic as how our interval-like lunch rides.  More importantly, we all stayed together the whole time.  I'm thinking we may be onto something here....

I felt better this morning than yesterday and stated this to the guys, including Gary who we saw in the locker room.  Maybe "more recovered" is probably a better way to describe it. Gary did point out that it's not typical BAM to complain about pain or being tired, and I guess maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that on yesterday's blog.  I was just hoping to justify my lack of contributions, but that's probably not a good idea among these maniacs.  Oh well.

We talked a little bit before we took off and decided to try and time the rotations better.  Thus, as we made our way toward Portola, everyone seemed to follow the agenda for the most part.  I think we still have to work on our smoothness as far as transitioning to the front and making sure latching back on isn't going to require mega wattage, but I suppose that will come in time.  A couple of us (names withheld to protect the innocent) opted to sprint to the top of Portola, but Shannon and I (ha ha) didn't want any part of that.

The rotations continued on Portola after and we tried to stay in order (Todd, Galen, Shannon and me), but that's not as easy when we come across lights, traffic, etc.  We would, however, try to get back in that line up when we could.  We took a little different route but still managed to make our way onto Irvine Blvd.

Alton and Barranca is always where the pace seems to pick up a lot and we get a little less organized, but we still managed to stay together despite the chaos.  I know if I was not on a TT bike though that this would not be a fun section to try to keep up or catch up.

When we got to Laguna Canyon and started heading toward Quail Hill, we were chatting it up a little trying to figure out if we wanted to get some extra miles in.  Due to time constraints (and our pace), we opted to do proceed toward Ridgeline and follow the normal end of the route.

Shannon had offered to do a lead out on the 405 bridge, but Todd ended up doing so since he had gotten onto the bike trail first.  He had a great pace heading toward the bridge, so we waited until after the last dip to finish strong.  Galen rolled out and started to go for it, and I was cheering him on to push him faster.  When I realized we could push even harder, I started calling out to move over...so he did.  HA HA.  I was not able to pass Galen though since he was pushing some mad power but I did get right beside him taking the KOM for that segment.  Sorry and thanks, Galen!

The pace didn't slow down much with Todd and Shannon pushing on as we headed up University.  Going up Ridgeline, we all lined up behind Todd who kept a great pace while the rest of us stayed on all the way to Turtle Rock.  That was probably the tightest we were all together going up that hill.  Great work, Todd!

I was a little blown out at the top after the 405 sprint and that climb, so as we headed toward Sunnyhill, I actually threw up in my mouth no joke.  Shannon was behind me at the time, and I wonder if noticed me sit up as I tried to swallow the vomit rather than spewing it out all over my bike.  Hey...it's all about the bike according to Velominati, right?

Galen started us off going up Shady, but Todd came around him and took over.  Adhering to our earlier strategy, I took the front after and was also relieved by Shannon subsequently.  However, when these guys got us over the crest, I had to back off a little just to recover some and got gapped.  I wasn't sure I was going to recover in time to help anymore on the descent, but I caught my wind halfway down and started to push toward the front to lead these guys out to the bike trail.  We finally got into the top 10 on that stretch as a result.

You can see based on the Strava bling we received that there was still no let up on Bonita Canyon, McArthur or even Bison.  The NFS (Need For Speed) crew knocked it out again this morning with a 23+ average for the route and with enough power generated from the other guys to light up a small building.  Needless to say, I'm in awe whenever we knock out a ride like this.

Thanks for the training again, gents!  Until the next time.... (Cue the Need for Speed music here)

No comments:

Post a Comment