Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Team Morning TT Trainer - Lighting up the Irvine Streets and Trails

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/81721161 (missed last 11 miles!)

A true testament of the advantage a TT bike gives over a road bike would be how a monster like Galen ended up picking one up today after riding with Shannon, Todd and me this morning while we were on our aero rigs.   Effectively, I think he was finally convinced after trying to take a turn up front and giving up on more than one occasion.  I don't mean to call the guy out or anything, especially because I'm sure he can make me pay for it and more, but someone who's done a solo 23.7 mph average on a 25 milers on his road bike and humbled by today's ride speaks volumes about the TT aero advantage.  Of course, the company he chose had a lot to do with it too.  :)

Todd started us off on California and was already hauling ass down the hill with Galen in tow.  Once on the bike trail, Galen took the lead first and usually this means hold him out for a while until he can deplete some of his aggro-ness.  However, I came around and pushed passed him early and everyone else started rotating as well.  With how fast we were going on the bike trail, I just knew we were going to get some serious Strava bling here and there.

Every one of us kept pushing all the way up to Portola, which resulted in a 24 mph average to the top.  Keep in mind that Strava measures the average for segments based on total time vs. moving time, so yeah...it was definitely fast.

Shannon took one of the last pulls on Portola and although I tried to relieve him, I just wasn't able to right until we got close to the very top.  Once we got on Portola, he was telling the rest of us to go on.  We weren't sure why and tried to have him come with us, but he didn't end up doing so.  Thus, the three of us ended up going on by ourselves.

When we took off, I lead us over to Jeffrey where Todd and I rode side-by-side for the longest time as we made our way to Irvine Blvd.  Galen had gotten in front of me after a while, and the both of us lined up behind Todd as we made our way to the left turn.  We all kept the pace up on Irvine Blvd and offered each other relief at the appropriate times. 

When we got to Alton, we picked the pace up even more and had a great run toward Barranca.  I knew it was a good run since I was on my top gear and still pushing a pretty good cadence on that stretch. 

This continued on to Barranca and ultimately onto Laguna Canyon drive.  It was at the intersection of Alton and Laguna Canyon where I inadvertently stopped my Garmin missing out on all the bling that Todd and Galen reaped after this point.  Bummer.

We had to slow up a little as we got onto the bike trail after the Sand Canyon circle due to an old timer and a lady on the trail, but we got going with Todd at the helm shortly after passing them.  We did opt to take it somewhat easy on this trail because it's a little hairy being on the aero bars and going through the dips, but we were still moving nonetheless.  Galen came around and relieve Todd at one point, and I opted to come around and bring the pace up knowing all the dips were gone after.  Galen must have thought I was going for the segment as he yelled words of encouragement to me as I passed.  Ummm...I was just passing to take my turn.  :)

Todd led us up on University and eventually onto and up the first part of Ridgeline.  What I like about Todd leading is that his pace is so rhythmic and not too erratic where it's perfect for drafting behind even on TT bikes.  Thus, Todd led us to the first rise where I ended up taking the front just as the hill pitched up.  I think I may have slightly gapped the guys a little by doing so, but they were right behind me again as I hit the 2nd part that pitched up.  Both Todd and Galen passed after it flattened out a little where I jumped on right after.

We were a little cautious going through Turtle Rock and Sunnyhill, but we started pushing more once we got on Shady heading toward Bonita Canyon.  We had a real good pace as we did so, which may have discouraged any sprints to the bike trail if anyone was thinking it. 

When we made a left to Bonita Canyon, Todd took the front and gave another monstrous pull where I was caught sleeping a little at the light requiring me to close a pretty sizeable gap.  I was happy to be on my TT bike though, so I was able to be back on Galen's wheel just after NPC.

We really pushed after going under the 73, and this was evident with the KOMs that Todd and Galen acquired.  Todd never stopped pushing to the end, and I was barely able to catch him as we neared Bison to finish the ride.  In the end, the Garmin's were showing a 24 mph average for the whole ride.  That's about 1 mph faster than our ride on Friday, which had more people.  TT bikes are fun!

Great workout today, gents, and glad to be on such a strong team.  I'm seeing the word "redemption" in our immediate future...more specifically during the January timeframe.  Go team BRCM!






No comments:

Post a Comment