Monday, September 16, 2013

Triple BB Trainer with Mr. McGee

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/82911609

After yesterday's race, which was only a total of 9.4 miles, my legs felt thrashed, and I can't imagine Shannon's being any different.  Race miles, even a short one, can put some sting in your legs simply due to the level of sustained intensity throughout.  Despite this, Shannon and I opted to get some more TT miles in today during lunch, although merely by coincidence since we never discussed it beforehand.

We decided to do triple Back Bay since 1) it's a great TT course and 2) it's friggin' too hot to ride inland.  Even this route presented an average temp of almost 90 degrees, so I can't imagine what a Portola run would have been like.

Shannon told me beforehand that if I gap him to go ahead and keep going and he'll work his way back up to me if he can.  While we worked together to head toward Back Bay, I did get a little ahead of him where we pretty much ended up doing the first part to San Joaquin solo.  Shannon caught me just before that street and we took turns making our way onto Jamboree, PCH and eventually the trailer park bike trail.

When we got back on BB drive, Shannon pulled ahead and I opted to try and keep up outside the draft for some good training.  At some point, I was thinking maybe this wasn't such a good idea and thought maybe I should just speed up to latch on.  However, that idea pretty much went out the window when I realized I couldn't make any ground on him at all.  We did see Jaffe on the way through hoping he would turn around and latch on, but I think we were both moving a little too fast for that to happen.  Jaffe should be able to attest to the sizeable gap Shannon had on me as we past him.

Shannon had maintained the gap even to the top of BB and ultimately to the beginning of the climb up Jamboree.  I was able to make it past him during the climb, but we hit a series of light after light where the two of us pretty much stayed together all the way to PCH and back onto BB drive.

Once we got onto BB drive, Shannon pulled to the front and offered a lead out.  I graciously refused and indicated I wanted some more wind time and I'll try again to match his pace.  No sooner than I said that did I realize that I may have made a BIG mistake since Shannon started to hammer and this time pull away all the way past San Joaquin and through the first significant right curve in the road.   If he kept that pace throughout, I'm thinking it would have been like the TT we did yesterday where he would pull a David Copperfield and disappear.

Fortunately for me, he slowed to recover after the curve, which allowed me to catch up to him and take the lead.  I called out as I passed, so he took off again behind me for the chase as we made our way to the top of Back Bay for the final pass.  On the climb, Shannon sprinted by me where all I could do was watch as he got onto the sidewalk ahead of me.

We hit a little bike traffic on the way to University, but after we cleared it, we took off for a fast run all the way to California.  I kept the intensity up on the climb up California, mostly to burn off some junk I ate yesterday and to make up for lost miles, so I was gasping for air at the top.  Shannon came up behind me breathing calmly probably like how rides should end where one day, I'm just going to have to learn this.

Overall, it was a great TT training day with Mr. McGee.  Thanks for coming out, Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment