Friday, September 6, 2013

Team Morning "Cruiser" Training Ride - Yeah, Whatever....

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/80499544

I looked up the word "cruise" on www.dictionary.reference.com and found some pretty interesting definitions:

- to travel about without a particular purpose or destination.
- to fly, drive, or sail at a constant speed that permits maximum operating efficiency for sustained travel.
- to travel at a moderately fast, easily controllable speed: cruising along the highway enjoying the scenery.
- to move slowly through or visit (a street, park, bar, etc.) in search of a sexual partner.

If you don't believe the last one, look it up and tell me I'm lying.  The things you find on the Internet....

Anyway, I can't seem to line up any of those definitions, ESPECIALLY the last one, with how our last couple rides have been.  I mean, I've heard the words cruise or cruising used to describe what one might anticipate as the pace, but I'm thinking now that we actually have our own definition.  When you hear the word "cruise" in an e-mail inviting you to ride with team BAM, think Tom Cruise as in Top Gun.  Why?  Because "We feel the need, the need for speed."  I really need to stop using movie quotes....

For this morning's "cruise" ride, team BRCM's power crew, consisting of Shannon, Todd, Vince, Galen, Mitchell and myself, were in full effect once again not having tortured one another enough from yesterday's lunch ride.  Sure, there were talks of taking it easy in the locker room, being tired, it being too early, blah, blah, blah, but sure as shiz, all of that went out the window upon the first crank rotation on everyone's bike.  I will say that Vince, being a new daddy and all, did legitimately look lacking of sleep, but welcome to fatherhood, son.

When we took off and started heading down California, Todd took the lead and already started amping it up from the get go.  I was in the number 2 spot, but as he was pulling away, I turned and looked back at the others pointing out to the guys, do you see this?  Then again, it was nothing new.

When we got going on the bike trail, I'd say the pace was pretty fast as it required a little sprint to latch on to the guys who made it on ahead of me.  The rotations were pretty smooth and everyone (except Mitchell, which was fine) was putting forth solid pulls.  It seemed at one point that for each pull, the next guy would try to outdo the one before, which has BAM written all over it.  Or maybe it was just what I was thinking....

We saw one guy coming the opposite way on the bike trail with a light on looking legit, and as he approached we realized it was S-G coming in on his morning commute from the train station.  You go, G.

As we started to head toward Portola after Harvard, Vince wisely decided to skip the rotations with Mitchell in his weary new-father state.  The rest of us ensured that we kept the pace up taking turns and picking up where the other left off as best as we could. That speaks volumes considering the company.

As we made our way onto Portola together and still intact, there were definitely some outstanding efforts out there in terms of pulls.  Shannon had a notable super-pull on Irvine Blvd, and Galen and Todd had some on Jeffrey or Alton.  Vince was getting back in the mix here and there and took some super-pulls himself in his now commonly seen TT posture (hands over the handlebars).  And despite the speeds we were reaching, at some points extending over 30 for a good duration, Mitchell stayed with us the whole time for the most part.  Pretty legit wingman (another Top Gun reference) if you ask me.

As we made our way to Laguna Canyon and onto Quail Hill, Todd ended up making the light just before the Sand Canyon circle but the rest of us checked up.  Fortunately, Todd didn't opt to play rabbit (as it would really have gotten nutty) and waited for us on the bike trail.  Once we got moving on the bike trail, we were once again MOVING.  Todd led us out to the straight, and Galen and I took subsequent pulls after.  Then, from what seemed like a football field distance away, Shannon decided he was going to launch a marathon sprint to the bridge.  Galen jumped on his wheel and was yelling out words of encouragement along the way helping Shannon to secure a #2 spot on the Strava board for that segment.  Todd didn't react, and I figured I wouldn't either only because I knew Ridgeline was still up ahead of us.  Of course, Vince asked me after "you didn't want any of that?", to which I responded "Nope, I'll save it for the Shady bike trail."

As we started heading up Ridgeline, Mr. Jacobs set a great pace and I had his wheel where we were all climbing together in harmony.  After it pitched up, I took the opportunity to "relieve" Mr. Jacobs and attempt to lead the rest of us to Turtle Rock together as a group.  After getting past the 2nd part that pitched up, Todd sprinted by without so much as saying "thanks."  Even Vince thought it was a little rude.  HAHA.  While expecting that we needed a regroup point on Turtle Rock, it was hardly necessary as everyone was pretty much together by the time we got there.

We rode together back to Shady, and Todd once again was leading us up the hill.  Galen and I were behind him respectively, and I think it was at one point that Galen tried to wave me on.  Now I'm a trooper and all, but I had to answer that with a resounding "I can't" because I didn't have anything at the time.  Galen let Todd know he was going to hold him out to the top (at least he was polite about it and let him know, right?), but I did opt to relieve Todd once I was actually able to do so.

On the descent, I can't really remember who was up front and what our positions were, but I do remember Vince sprinting by at one point toward the bike trail opening.  I think I've let Vince down on my sprints lately, so I had to give it a go just as I said I would back by the 405.  Vince had a good gap, but I was able to close and pass hopefully restoring his confidence in my sprinting abilities.  I got cooked in the process, but whatever....

When we got on Bonita Canyon, everyone wisely decided that McArthur was the best way to go back simply because this seemed like one of Galen's favorite "haul ass" sections.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  When we got going, sure enough the pace was pretty tough and I asked Todd and Galen to rotate in front of me at first just because I was still struggling to recover.  It was good that Vince was up there helping to keep the pace up as well, so I got back in the rotation once he rolled out.

Everyone was pretty worked but keeping the pace up nonetheless, but Shannon decided he'd launch one more interval just before getting on McArthur.  I remember coming around from behind Galen and thinking "God, please help keep me from passing out."  It was nonstop madness all the way back to California with the final numbers for this route being 31 miles at a 23 mph pace according to my Garmin.  Strava knocked it down a couple ticks like usual to 22.8.  It's those damn immobile ducks we had to slow down for on Portola TWICE that did it, I tell ya.

The only thing that would have made this morning's ride better is a nice cold hoppy drink after, but I had to settle for the rest of the coconut water I had put in my water bottle for today's blazer.  Good enough.  It's great to ride with such amazing riders, I must say, and I'm already looking forward to the next one.  Thanks for coming out this morning, gents! 

No comments:

Post a Comment