Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Lunch Ride - You May Get Me On the Hills, but I'll Pay You Back on the Descents/Flats

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/86287627

Attendees:  Shannon, Todd, Jeremy, Adrian, Vin, Mitchell and Jaffe

I wasn't sure I was going to make it out today given a meeting scheduled at 11, but I brought my bike just in case it cancelled.  I've had meetings in the past that cancelled where I didn't bring my bike, and kicked myself after since it's always good to get a ride in with the crew.  When I received word at ~10:30 a.m. that it cancelled, I was elated.  By this time, talks of what route to take were already in the works, and it came down to Jeremy choosing the route for today.  This pretty means that there will be good amount of climbing, and although he had opted for a BB finish, he ended up including Ridge Park and Pelican as the alternative since BB was likely closed.  Told ya.  I guess my back-up plan should also include making sure I have my compact crank bike as well.  HA HA.

Although Vince wasn't around today (who is to me like Jiminy Crickett is to Pinocchio), I had to keep honest and try and do my share of the work even leading the group out initially.  I had Adrian on my wheel all the way to Anteater, where just after making the turn onto it, he decided to pass in that somewhat aggressive pace.  Punk ass.  Jeremy chased him down, but Todd came around eventually to lead us back up toward them. Jeremy was up ahead a bit longer, and it took until we were close to NPC before we were finally able to close the gap behind him.

Shannon took the front as we went up San Miguel leading us all the way to the Spyglass turn.  From there, he, Jeremy and Todd snapped the rest of us off.  Jaffe had a mechanical on the hill and I think Vin stayed behind with him, but I was okay though since I still had my wingman, Mitchell, with me.  He kept me honest on the climb, and we didn't fall too far behind catching the three guys ahead of us at the light to San Joaquin.

Jeremy led up originally, but Todd took over and I just stayed on his rear wheel all the way to the top.  I tried to take the front at one point, but he wasn't having any of it (as usual).

We all got caught at the light to cross San Joaquin on Ridge Park, including Jaffe and Vin.  I'm not sure if Adrian made the light though.  When we started the hill, Todd took off and gapped everyone early.  Jeremy and I were behind him, and Shannon behind us, but Shannon kicked on the afterburners and made his way past the both of us and just coming up behind Todd by Vista.  Mitchell stayed with me as I tried to catch up to Jeremy, but Jeremy held his gap.

Shannon had to go due to a meeting, but the rest of us regrouped at the top as best as we could.  We tried waiting for Adrian and Jaffe, but there wasn't any sign of them where we ended up taking off only to see Jaffe making his way up Vista instead.

On the descent, I decided that since i'm having a hard time keeping up with them, I may as well take a little of their fight away and have them give chase to me.  I had gotten a gap on the guys and hoped to make the left turn to NPC unaccompanied, but they were all able to roll through the intersection behind me.  I tried to keep the breakaway on NPC, but they eventually reeled me in again before the descent down NPC.  There, Jeremy, Todd and I traded pulls where I took the final pull right before Pelican.

Once on Pelican, I took off again hoping to see if I can get another breakaway, but Todd rolled up beside me for a little bit where it seemed like he was going to be able to pass.  I kept the intensity up though, and Todd opted for the more managed pace, where I once again gapped the group there.  He and Jeremy ended up catching and passing me on the 2nd rise on that road, so I latched on (or tried to) as they passed.

Todd started to gap us right away again, but I was working just to try and keep Jeremy close.  He would gap, I would rest and recover and close the gap, and this happened about 2-3 times all the way to the top.  I was hoping to pass him before the crest, but he accelerated ahead of me keeping his position on the hill.  Nice work.

We had another regroup point on NPC, but I don't recall who was the last one we waited for before taking off again.  I took the front again working the intervals and tried to push the pace as we were heading to San Joaquin.  On our way there, we see Adrian waiting at the bottom of Vista for us and almost falling off his bike as we passed.  All I can say is I'm glad he wasn't wearing a BRCM jersey today.  By the way, have I mentioned how he fell while waiting at the intersection of Alton and Sand Canyon on his way to work before...twice?  Oh yeah...he's cool alright.

We hit San Joaquin and Jeremy led us onto the horseshoe.  Todd was behind him and came around to take the lead.  I was still in the interval mode and took the subsequent lead trying to amp it up even more but actually ended up blowing myself up a little bit.  HA HA.  Adrian had come around (finally) to try and take the segment, but he lost steam too before the end.  I think Todd, Jeremy and Mitchell actually got on San Joaquin ahead of him (us).

It took a little for me to recover while the guys ahead were pushing the pace, but once I did, I started to make my way up to the front again from the back to bring the pace up on the descent.  Adrian had jumped ahead too and got us moving pretty good as well.  We actually had a more green lights this time than normal, so it wasn't long before we were coming up on McArthur.

Todd was leading us out by then, and started us off.  Adrian took off when taking the front, and I was just behind him where I was able to stay latched on.  Todd had to latch on to the others to be able to make his way back up based on how aggressive Adrian passed (don't you hate that?).  Adrian was moving pretty good though, so I waited until I could see he was running out of juice.  Rather than passing him aggressively, I called out to him to roll out, which he responded to with a "huh?"  Oh boy, does he need to come out more often.  Fortunately, I was able to pass him, and I just tucked in trying to pull us to Bonita Canyon as fast as I could go.  When I looked back before the light though, I saw there was a gap where I had thought maybe I could break away again only to be caught shortly after by none other than Mr. Jacobs.

Todd led us toward Bison and offered the lead out for a sprint.  Now I would have preferred to be on the #3 spot, but Adrian was sitting comfortably behind me in that position.  When I took off, I really gave it a go, but Adrian had come with me and started to slowly make his way past me.  I dropped it down a gear as he was and I was able to match his speed and maybe even more, but we ran out of real estate and Adrian got to the intersection just ahead of me.  Good sprint!

I was spent after the ride and actually had to lie down for a little bit just to cool down. What a great workout!  Thanks for coming out, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment