Monday, October 14, 2013

Todd's Baldy Ride Report

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/88900881/

I ended up doing Baldy for probably the last time of the season.  It was in the low 50s when I started and a little chilly.  I was looking forward to the climbing.   My plan was to see how fast I could get up and down.  My main concern was getting up fast but with the mindset that I don’t blow up on the wall.  I was keeping a consistent pace heading up and I ended up passing about 5 people in the first 5 miles.  I was hoping the legs would feel a little fresher than they did, but after about 5 miles in, they really started to loosen up.  I was feeling pretty good so I turned it up a notch.  I figured that I would back off a little on GRR to save some for the switchbacks.   I was pretty much alone until the slight descent before the last climb towards the water tower.  I ended up blowing by some guys on the climb after the descent.  I thought they may latch on, but it didn’t happen.  I was alone again.  After going through the Eastfork intersection, I decided to take on some food.  One thing I do when I ride up there is take mental notes for the descent.  There was a construction area that had some rocks and gravel on the road.  I didn’t want to hit that going 35-40mph.   On the way up GRR, I noticed earlier in the year that a rock wall was taken out on a sharp turn.  I always thought whoever hit that is no longer in this world since it is a few hundred feet down to the bottom.  Sure enough, there are two large crosses where the wall used to be and some markings denoting there is a big hole in the wall.    Making my way up GRR, it was me and a bunch of bored hunters looking over the cliffs with their rifles and scopes.  It is a little weird, and I had the same feeling this year as last.  I hope they don’t get too bored and decide to shoot some schmuck on a bike for fun.  I’d hate to end up on 20/20 or 48 hrs or some other crime show as a vic.  I finally reached the village and I actually learned to embrace GRR.  I used to hate it, but with the views and getting used to the grade, I actually enjoy it now.  The part I hate is the climb out of the village to the beginning of the switchbacks.  It is not easy, and it is the pain before the really painful.  I’d rather just get on to the really painful.  The road was repaved, and it will be really nice after it gets some wear from the traffic.  Right now, there is some loose gravel from being pretty fresh.  Heading up the switchbacks was pretty comfortable, but there were a lot of gravel, rocks and cars.  I spun my tires a few times when I got off the saddle.  It was not cool.  The road was repaved to the parking lot for the chairlifts, but the rain and snow from last week knocked a lot of rocks and gravel on the road.  I ended reaching the store and not stopping.  I had a slow descent down the switchbacks due to the rocks and gravel, especially on the hairpins.  There were a lot of cars from the hikers so even the wall was a slow rate.  Of course, I froze on the way down and as usual, I could not wait for that climb up after the village to GRR.  My hands were frozen in place and my back was locked up.  The climb and sun got everything in order though.  I ended up catching a guy on the climb with a new go pro.  He followed me down GRR for a portion and he was all excited about the footage and speed.  I think I saw Vin heading up, but I didn’t have time to react.  I ended up dropping the guy on my wheel after some of the hills.  GMR was a blast as usual.  Once I got back to the car, I got my coconut/pineapple water and then headed home for some beers.  That ride is always a fun but painful ride. 


FYI, I finished about 27 minutes (about a 1 minute/mile) behind Lawson Craddock from the base of GMR to the lifts.   Pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment