Sunday, October 6, 2013

Tour de Poway 2013 - We're Baaack!

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/87454671


It's been several months since we've done a century, so I was really looking forward to doing this ride.  I had done the Poway century on my own last year, so I was super thrilled when I found out Todd, Shannon and Gary were coming out too.   Team BRCM was definitely going to represent.  Gary signed up on the day of the ride and opted to do the 50 route, which by the way is the new 100, and showed how BAM spirit is definitely still alive and well within him.

We had an early start and met at my house for a 5:30 a.m. departure.  The temps were pretty cool at the time,  especially at my house, but we hoped it would warm up some by the time we got to Poway to start the ride.  After stopping off Starbucks to get Gary an apple fritter, obviously someone who subscribes to my pre-ride meal regimen, we drove to the start and the temps were around 50 degrees.  There was some grumbling about how we weren't prepared for such a cold start, but that didn't last long and we lined up and got ready to ride...no warmers, no base layer, just #5.  It worked out though as it got hella hot out there after a while. 

Gary started with us too and we rode together pretty much all the way until the climb started on Poway.  Todd seemed like he was really eager to push up to the front early on, so he immediately started making his way ahead.  Shannon decided to do the same and followed, so I just watched them pull away pretty much where there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.  Seeing how they got top 10 honors on that hill after, this substantiated it even more. 

Gary had the same thoughts and backed it down as well when he saw them charge, but he was still holding a good pace on the climb.  We got separated after a while though since I kept trying to focus on trying not to lose sight of the two BAMMERs ahead of us.   At one point during the climb, I did hear someone say "Go Broadcom!" but didn't really recognized who said it.  I checked up enough to find out it was Tri Le who works at the San Diego office and someone who ordered the upcoming next edition of the BRCM jersey.

By the time I got to the top of Poway, I was with only a couple guys, so I started to work to try and find my way to Shannon and Todd and hopefully a peloton to work with.  One guy was on a TT bike, so I thought he would be able to hang, but he didn't.  I hooked up with another couple guys after a while, but I was definitely doing a good portion of the work.

When I came across a couple Descenders, I passed and they started to ride with me letting me know that Shannon and Todd were ahead of us.  It turned out it was Bob and Oleg, so they were game to work and soon we had a pretty good little group going.   I knew I'd never catch Shannon and Todd on my own, so I definitely wouldn't turn down riding with the group.

We rode all the way to the 78 and down it together, and it was fun pushing down the hill with them.  Bob and Oleg were definitely legit on the descent along with some others who were with us, so we made our way down the hill pretty fast...fast enough to get top 10 honors. Sweet.

I stayed in the group, and everyone seemed to be working together and keeping the pace up.  I figured it would help get us to the SAG a lot quicker where I could hook up with the BRCM boys.  When we got to the first SAG, I slowed but didn't seem them so while the rest of the group I was with stopped, I pushed on.

I was alone for a while trying to make my way to the next SAG when I saw some of the Descenders closing in on me.  I was glad one of them was Oleg again, so he got me to roll up with them and we started working together again.  They definitely helped keep the ride interesting and offered a lot of reprieve from the winds.  In turn, I would push up and make sure to do my share of the work when I could.  Oleg was pretty cool about it too, as he told me to save some and let others work...so I did and they did.  Cool guys.

At the next SAG on PCH, I was totally dry since I only started out with a bottle and a half for the ride, so I had to stop.  Only two other guys stopped at that point with me, so that was the last I got to ride with Oleg and his group.  I thought I'd be able to ride with the other two who stopped with me, but I was only able to tow one for a little bit before he told me to just go ahead.

I was pretty much on my own until about mile 80 just trying to make it back.  I passed a few guys who were in the group I was riding with, but no one was willing to work with me.  I then ran into John, another Descender, who was in the first group, and he stepped up and we started working together.   We both helped each other a lot, so I'm glad I ran into him.

I skipped the last two SAGs because I figured if I didn't see Todd and Shannon earlier on, what would be the point to look to see if they were there.  It turns out they were waiting at the 2nd to the last SAG, but it was a little off the beaten path, so John and I pushed past it and just kept going all the way to the end.

By the time I got back, the temps were definitely in the high 90s or possibly even in the triple digits.  Gary was back already and probably didn't realize that handing me my first and second beer probably saved my life.  HA HA.  Damn those beers were delicious after a hot 100.   Todd and Shannon rolled in not too long after, and we sat and drank some more.  Then, Gary got hungry so we ended up having lunch at Stone Brewery.  I was a little out of it from the beers in the parking lot, but I did manage to make our waitress chuckle a couple times.  It's how I roll.

Despite only riding with the team for probably about 5-10 minutes only, I had a great time nonetheless.  It was awesome to see the team out and representing again, and there are definitely enough Strava hardware between us to show that we were out there getting it done.

Thank you guys for coming out and for lunch, and thanks for driving, Shannon.   You guys are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment