Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lunch Rides - Vince's Challenge, Todd's Birthday and Yesterday's Highlights

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/89668275

Attendees:  Vince, Todd, Shannon, Jeremy, Adrian, Mitchell, Vin and Jaffe.

It was a good turnout today and almost everyone came out representing BRCM Black.  Only two failed to answer the call with one protesting the jersey for whatever reason and the other likely not having priority over getting his baby's clothes washed.  Additionally, everyone was sporting a black or blackish bike, so we definitely looked like badasses out there.  Something about black on black....

The plan was to do the Turtle Rock ring route, but upon arriving at the corner, Vince decided to throw out an additional challenge to those of us doing the TTT race in January.  He proposed that Shannon, Todd and I take a detour and go up Starcrest instead of going straight on Turtle Rock and give chase to the rest after.   While none of us agreed to do the challenge at the time, we did indicate we would decide on the spot upon arriving there and see how it goes.  In my own mind though I thought "not likely given Todd was on his new 14.5 lbs. bike while Shannon may be in his self-proclaimed "back to the drawing board" mode, which just means bad news for everyone."

We take off from the corner, and Jeremy and Vince started to gap everyone right away.  Todd was at the front of the chase group, so I humbly rode behind him as he slowly started to close the gap.  Shannon was coming around after we made the right to Anteater as though he was going to hammer up it, and Todd started to accelerate too, but we all got caught at the light, including Vince and Jeremy.  When we got going again, I don't think there was any more separation among us as we all headed toward the Bonita Canyon intersection. 

When we started  up Shady, Todd took the front again but Vince, Jeremy and I rotated in taking us over to Sunnyhill.  On Turtle Rock, I believe Adrian, Mitchell and maybe even Vin got in the rotation as well.  As we approached the bottom of the hill at the Campus intersection, the Jaffinator decided to make his move.  He takes off and starts charging up the hill followed by Vince while the rest of us look on wondering what the hell that's all about.  I stood up and started to give chase and although we ended up reeling the two ahead of us, it definitely took longer and used more effort than I expected.  Vince expressed later on in the locker room how we must have been coming up on Jaffe's house where he asked his wife to look outside at the time he expected us to pass just so she can see him leading the rest of us.  Personally, I think Jaffe subscribes to Adrian's detonation theory and acted accordingly.   Nice charge though.

As we were approaching Starcrest, Todd and Shannon were up front and I couldn't really tell whether they planned to go straight or hit the hill.  Just as we came up on the intersection, the two suddenly turned and I found myself following Vince and Jeremy going straight.  This, in my opinion, was definitely the "smarter" decision given that if I had followed Todd and Shannon, I would likely have found myself riding alone for the rest of the ride once they broke me off.  And they would have broke me off for sure given their Strava stats for their climb.  It would have been Tour De Poway all over again....

As we neared the top of Turtle Rock before Ridgeline, Jeremy started to power up past Vince to the top, so I did too.  It was a nice burst at the top for us, and Vince was just behind us as we got through the intersection.  Mitchell was right there too holding the back and serving his wingman duties.

Jeremy, Vince and I continued to work together through Shady, on the bike trail, and up Ridgeline to ensure that we kept a gap on a chasing Shannon and Todd.  Jeremy had led up Ridgeline at a great pace, and I took over just before the last rise, making for a good climb.  We had gapped Vince and Mitchell a little on the climb, but they were back with us by the time we got down to Campus preparing for the right on Culver.

Jeremy and I continued to lead us up Bonita Canyon, and Vince got back into the rotation immediately after we crested and took a good strong pull leading us toward the 73.  I think at one point, Mitchell had gotten in between us and had slowed requiring Jeremy to come around and close the gap.  This got both Vince and Jeremy a little riled given their competitiveness, so upon reaching the McArthur intersection (or the one prior), they started giving Mitchell a hard time about being in the draft the whole time.  I tried to defend my wingman, but he ended up letting them know that he was having trouble keeping up because of how inefficient our rotations are...or something like that.  Too funny.  Leave the guy alone, I say.  There are those who are born to lead while others master the art of following.  :)

When we got going on Ford, Jeremy and Vince led originally, but I tried to amp it up a little bit before the condo.  When we got to the condo, I started to get on it since we caught the green light upon our approach.  I wasn't sure I had a good pace going up, so I kept looking back to see Jeremy looming behind me.  Once I got back down on my seat, Jeremy charged past me and I just focused on trying to keep close by as he brought us up to the false flat.  I was able to pick it up on the false flat and pass him, so he latched on as we made our way onto Bison.   Super strong effort on his part though. 

When we got close to the intersection on McArthur, Vince was approaching and we were all able to get through that intersection together.  There were a couple cars and lights that slowed us as we made our way toward and over the 73.  Vince had timed the last light over perfectly and took off gapping us, and my attempt to reel him in only left me just behind him as we got to California.  Nice work, Vince!

Todd and Shannon had come in not too long after us, and managed to have the same average as us (~22 mph) despite riding a little further and with an additional 200 feet of elevation.  Yep...I wouldn't have been able to keep up for sure.  It was nice to at least help keep ahead of them and serve as "prey" with Vince and Jeremy.  Adrian threw in after the ride how I didn't step up with the other two and inferred how I was comparable to a female reproductive organ.  Curiously, I wonder where he dropped off on the ride.  

Great day of riding with the guys today, and through all of it, Todd never mentions today was his birthday.  We definitely would have made special plans to celebrate it the BAM way for a ride.  Then again, now I can see why he never mentioned anything.

Now about yesterday's ride, here are the highlights:

Attendees:  Vin, Hirsohi, Jaffe and me
  • I was on my TT bike and planned to train with others only to be the only one who brought one. 
  • Jaffe, Vin, Mitchell and Hiroshi were going to go out on their own as they wanted a more "social" ride but they opted to ride with me and let me hold the front the whole time instead.  Thanks?  HAHA
  • I led at a fairly moderate pace, or so I thought, as we made our way to BB, but by the time we arrived at the drop, only Mitchell and Jaffe were with me.  
  • We held a pretty good pace through BB, PCH, Ocean and up toward NPC.  Mitchell indicated on NPC, however, that it was no fun drafting behind me since I don't offer much wind protection.  Sorry.
  • Up NPC, I led the front, but Jaffe kept launching attacks.  However, he wasn't as successful as he was last week in being able to hold it after he passed me. We still stayed together all the way to the top though. 
  • Once we got on San Joaquin, I decided to kick it up some and was already at top gear as we were riding through the rollers before the descent.  We got some Strava honors to this effect as a result.
  • I kept pushing the pace on the descent and all the way to Jamboree, and I was impressed that despite doing so, Jaffe and Mitchell were still behind me.  
  • When we got on BB, however, I thought I'd give them a gut check and picked it up even more and finally broke them off about 100 feet before the climb (based on Jaffe's estimates).  
  • While waiting at CA to cross, Jaffe came up not too long after and ended up taking off at the green.  You gotta give him credit for trying. 
  • Thanks for riding with me, gents!  Always more fun with company than without.

No comments:

Post a Comment