Sunday, February 16, 2014

Dominguez Hills Crit Races - Shit Happens

CAT 5 - https://www.strava.com/activities/113826328

I figure I better write this before I'm no longer able since I'm sore and not feeling too great after today's races.  More on this later....

It was an early day of racing with the first race, the CAT 5, starting at 7 am.  Getting up at 4 am to get ready is pretty rough, but Lisa opted to come with me and help again.  It's awesome when she comes out to support me I must say.

Shannon arrived a little after, and I was already set up with my bike on the trainer when he went by to get his numbers.  Jeremy and Vin went by some time after also seemingly hating how early it was.   Jeremy talked about wanting to see if we wanted to work together with their team earlier this week, but having arrived late that just never happened.  

I had a good warmup for the race and got a couple laps in on the course with the last one finishing up with Shannon.  Shannon and I managed to line up close to the front, but we didn't see where Vin and Jeremy were.

I think the plan was to see if we can help dictate the pace and see what we could do to take part in any breakaways, but so many things go through your head when getting ready to race that I don't know how much of that plan I actually absorbed.  I was just going to try and stay with Shannon and look for opportunities to break with him should any arise.  I do remember saying let's get a feeling for the group's tempo early on, which I thought meant not being too aggressive right away.  I guess Shannon was feeling pretty good halfway into the first lap as the next thing you know, he was leading the pack!

I had pushed up not too far behind waiting to see how it would play out with him up front as I didn't think I'd have too much that early into the race.  No one broke off though, so I figure I'll work my way up to the front and see what I could do to help.  When I did, however, others finally started to make their way around him.  I lined up behind the guy who held Shannon out and did the same to him for awhile holding the #2 spot.  There were some small attacks but nothing that really drew too much response from the peloton including myself.

The race continued on and I lost my #2 position, which I held for a couple or so laps, but I wasn't too far off the front.  I had visions of wanting to try a break, but could not see anyone who was close by that I could do so with...so I didn't.

On the 2nd to the last lap, the pace started to pick up and I heard Jeremy somewhere beside me.  However, he got pinched out on the straight with some cones on the road, so he ended up losing position.

On the last lap, I was surprised to see Vin at the front of the whole group and accelerating upon hitting the first turn, but he got swarmed after and I was in no position to work with him.  I was coming around in the outside trying to get ready for the final sprint, and was trying to keep my position where I can contest the sprint to the finish (which is a slight grade up).  I wasn't close enough at the last turn to where there was a clean line to the finish, but I accelerated as best as I could passing a few on the last stretch and secured a 9th place finish.  Shannon couldn't get into a position to attack and came in at 17th with Jeremy and Vin finishing 23rd and 26th respectively.  Positioning was definitely difficult on this course, especially with one turn being a decreasing radius, cones being setup on the back straight, and guys out there who couldn't turn if their lives depended on it.

For the next race, Dina had come to join us, which was great to have her there supporting us as well.  There was about 2 hours in between races, so we got to watch some of the other races in between outs. 

We lined up a little later for the 2nd race, so we weren't as close to the front as the first race.  It didn't take long though before Shannon and I made our way to mid pack in the first lap or so since we figured it would be safer. 

This race had more people out and unlike last week, seemed to have some people out there who just didn't turn very well.  I figured staying on the outside would be safer, so that's where I tried to stay.  

Shannon tried to push up to the front, or at least I think he did, but we had some trouble staying together where I can't say for sure.  At one point, however, I believe I was in front of him and was hoping he would come with me should I see an opportunity to break away.

When I saw two guys up ahead of the peloton, I decided to breakaway and catch them hoping they would work with me to keep the break.  If Shannon was in a position to do so, I hoped he would eventually join us.  I called out to the two guys upon my approach and asked them to go, so they both immediately latched on. However, that was all they did and held me out until the peloton sucked as back in again.  I was worried when they did as I felt a little spent at the time where a lot of riders passed and had me wondering if I'd be able to latch back on.  Thankfully, I managed to do so, but I had to spend a lap or so just catching my breath and trying to get back into a good position.

There were about 5 laps left and I could see Shannon ahead, so I kept maneuvering through the pack, mostly from the outside,  until I was close 2-3 laps from the finish.  We got separated at one point after again, but coming up in the last lap, I was just behind Shannon once again.  I was hoping we can both help each other on the last lap, but I knew it may be difficult since we kept getting boxed in.

In the last lap, people were definitely riding in a large bunch, so it didn't get too strung out, which would have been safer.  Shannon an I were trying hard to keep our position, but people were getting squirly in the turns.  Then we hit turn 3 and sure enough, the unthinkable happens...someone took me out.

All I can remember was how I was holding my line through the turn to stay with Shannon, when I felt a hard bump to my right rear.  The next thing I know, I'm flying off to the left of my bike. (highside) and go tumbling on the pavement head and shoulder first.  Someone else ended up crashing into me or my bike so in the end, there were 3 of us on the ground as the peloton rode away to the finish.  

After I realized I was 1) alive, 2) awake, and 3) able to move, I was pissed!  I didn't know who took me out but I must have hollered out every imaginable profane word I could think of along with screaming at how people need to learn how to turn before they raced.  I didn't know the story of the other two who went down but neither wanted to admit to hitting me.  In retrospect, that was probably best as I was ready to literally kill someone for their carelessness.  

Shannon had made it around the block after the race, and I had stood up by that time trying to see if my bike was ridable.  My left cleat had completely sheared off and was still fastened to the pedal, but other than the bent in hoods (which I was able to put back in position), it was ok.  Shannon rode back with me and told me to make sure I get credit for the race (good call!).  When I went to the pit, I told them about crashing in last lap and they just told me to go over start/finish line to get credit...so I did.  

I did get tended to by paramedic after the race for my rashes on my leg, arm and hand, but I was okay otherwise although my neck and shoulder was a little sore.  Some self-medicating (beers!) at my car after helped too...probably more so.  Ha.

I took a closer look at my bike when I got home and did manage to get the cleat off my pedal.  Riding it around after, I found that the wheels were still true, both shifters worked as did the brakes. There was no damage to the frame or handlebars, and except for some scuffs on the shifters, it's good to go for next week's race.  I'll have to see where I am physically for that one, but I definitely want to do it again.  As with motorcycle riding, it's not really a matter of IF one goes down as much it is WHEN.  Now that I've gotten it out of the way for road racing on a bike, time to brush myself off and get ready for the next one.  I'll just have to use my white kit for the next race as my black one is toast.

Go team BRCM!





No comments:

Post a Comment