Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lunch Ride - It's Like That And That's The Way It Is

Strava:  http://www.strava.com/activities/112696192

Attendees:  Todd, Vince, Adrian, Hiroshi, Mitchell, Jaffe, Vin and Jeremy

Background music (because I can):




Highlights:

- Good sized showing of riders today

- Everyone was working today through Back Bay with some solid pulls.  Hiroshi skipped first rotation but jumped in after.  And you thought I wasn't keeping track.

- Vince started us off on PCH, but rotations continued for most...not all.

- Riding through CDM neighborhood was dog slow.  Road still closed so going over the bridge with pedestrians no bueno.

- Even riding on Ocean was painfully slow today.

- After Poppy, Adrian, Mitchell and Hiroshi were in a breakaway group (purposely) but it didn't take TJ look to reel them back in.

- Pulled to the front after the last light and brought pace up to respectable level.  Signaled to go across intersection and proceed up NPC from the light.  Jeremy and Vince missed the memo.

- With Jeremy and Vince having what seemed like a 3-5 minute headstart (stupid light), you can see the veins bulging on Todd's forehead as he anxiously wanted to cross and start climbing.

- Todd led the chase group up NPC, but after Pelican Mitchell's tubular tire exploded.  Hiroshi had to go back to the office to pick up vehicle and pick Mitchell up.  Amateur!

- Todd looked back but started going after seeing others stopping.  I slowed and did the same but waited just a little longer where I no longer had luxury of sitting on TJ's wheel.

- Jeremy was waiting at the top when Todd followed by me arrived.  Vince was gone as expected.  The three of us waited for a little bit then took off after seeing no one in sight.

- Riding to San Joaquin, Adrian rolled up behind us where I was hoping he'd be able to contribute from that point on.  He dropped before the descent.  WTF?

- Vince was waiting at exit of Horseshoe, but took off upon seeing us giving us a rabbit to chase.  We had him at one light, but you know Vince.  We had to corral him by the McArthur light subsequently.

- The 4 of us were jamming on San Joaquin headed to Back Bay and after crossing, Vince started sprinting the moment before making the right onto Back Bay drive.  Jeremy was behind him, but wasn't ready to give chase so I did.  Of course, I'd hold him out after working a bit to catch him.

- Todd took over eventually and the four of us began rotating again.

- Todd was the last in the rotation to pull leading up to the top of Back Bay, but before I could relieve him, Vince took off to break away.  I chased him down and held him out (good crit training) until it pitched up where I sprinted by just before.  He called out as I passed to save some for CA.

- I get to the top and didn't slow much and kept going with a good pace on the sidewalk (saving some as instructed).  Vince goes by and starts to pull away, where I'm thinking, "oh no you didn't."

- It took FOREVER to be able to latch back onto Vince's wheel on University, but just in time enough to prepare to contest a sprint.  When I did, Vince's called me something derogatory and a sprint diva, but I reminded him at the light how long it took to reel him back in.

- Todd and Jeremy were just behind us, and Todd said he needed a few more yards and he would have caught up.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  HAHA

- Todd led up CA where I continued my crit training and held him out until I thought I could go for it.  It worked and he gave me kudos at the light.  For the record, holding Todd out on a climb is not easy.

- Good training today and unfortunately may be my last for the week.  Thanks for the abuse, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment