Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lunch Ride - Mercy Thursday

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/114780541

Attendees:  Vince, Mitchell and Adrian.  Todd, Vin and Jeremy opted to do puke route instead.

Admittedly, I was a little nervous about getting on the bike today.  While my road rash seems to be on the path to healing, my other bigger concerns were my left shoulder, neck, left hip, left knee and right hamstring.  There is definitely some discomfort associated with these parts, but I was able to spin the last couple days for a little bit albeit rather gingerly.

What's funny was when I was talking to Mitchell when I was putting my shoes on outside, he was commenting how I hopefully learned a lesson from crashing on Sunday not to cross someone's rear wheel.  What?!?  Where the hell did that come from.  Of course, I corrected him and wondered what blog he's reading and getting this info from as that stung almost as much as getting blindsided in a turn.

I definitely was not up to changing our plans and doing the puke route, so once Todd changed his mind to go with Vin and Jeremy, we didn't hesitate and took off.  Vince came along and commented how he wants to ride with scabby.  Nice.  Todd, Jeremy and Vin ended up coming into the gym after telling us about how some black Mercedes were playing chicken with them on Ridge Park.  That didn't happen on our ride...just sayin'.

When we took off, I took the front (not purposely but due to a lack of participants...haha) but I obviously was just trying to get a feel for the bike again and pulling back accordingly.  It's funny how even days off can make you forget some things, so I was trying to feel my way through initially.  Vince ended up relieving me on E Peltason but then Adrian decided he was going to be amping it up today probably being fueled by recent events within his BU.  Of course (been there), it didn't hurt that he STILL has his aero bars on too.

Adrian and Mitchell actually had gapped Vince and I on Anteater some, and it took a slight burst just before Bonita Canyon just to be able to get on their wheel again.  When we got going after that, Adrian and Mitchell were still willing to work and took some good pulls.  Adrian even led us onto the side walk that leads to the bike trail loop just before the gate after Mitchell almost missed it.  Adrian and Vince actually started to gap after a while, and Mitchell and I weren't able to get back up to them until that section where it pitched up right after the first bridge.  Curiously after I finally made my way to the front again, Adrian pushed ahead of me again where I start looking around and seeing if I can locate Rod Sterling from the Twilight Zone.

Going up Knollcrest, he pushed ahead even then and I thought I was managing a pretty good pace going up.  The climb did eventually take its toll where only Mitchell was behind me after a while, but Adrian wasn't far behind after I turned around.  Vince was having asthma related breathing problems and was actually feeling it since Anteater, so he had backed off a lot and told us not to worry about him as we crossed paths.

Adrian had turned around as we passed, so he joined Mitchell and I as we made our way down and even took the front again and attempted to keep the gap even on Laguna Canyon.  It took some work just to be able to get up to him.

From the bike path on, the three of us rotated and everyone was working together through what felt like some pretty decent wind.

When we finally got to University heading toward California, Mitchell was up front just after the last underpass and I was looking for an opportunity to pass and take the front.  However, the pedestrians and cyclists made me have to wait until it was safe to do so.  After passing the last street before California, I started to bring the pace up hoping no one would contest for a sprint.  As we neared California, however, you see Adrian on his aero bars passing me where I was going to test out my sprint capabilities.  However, as there were two ladies on bikes riding abreast (no pun intended) approaching us, I backed off.   Adrian kept going as though so we had to work just to be able to get back up to him.  When he saw us coming, he backed off and relegated himself to the back.

The climb up Jamboree was pretty uneventful with me up front the whole way with Mitchell in tow and Adrian not far behind.  We all got to the light and ended up crossing together after it turned green.

When we got going on Bison after McArthur, I knew we were setting up for another sprint again.  Adrian was ahead and I was in number 2 spot waiting for Mitchell to hopefully give us a lead out.  When we hit the first light on the 73, we remained in the same order after taking off.  Once I saw we were going to clear the 2nd light, I swung around to Adrian's left and gave the sprint a go.  I was standing and cranking the bars where I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to pass me, but he did come around just as we were coming up on the corner.  Well done.

As a result of that sprint effort, I did end up hurting my shoulder a bit more where it felt better just to let my arm hang off the side of my body after.  I barely have enough strength to open a door with it now.  While the other parts of my body didn't seem to come into play, one other odd discomfort for me was my lower back.  I guess it's doing a lot more work keeping things together where it felt like I had ridden many more miles than I actually did.  Hopefully more miles tomorrow and not sprinting will have me ready for this Sunday in Ontario.  Hopefully.

Thanks for the training today, gents.  Sorry I couldn't push the pace anymore than I did, but I tried.   Good job today, Adrian.  I hope you keep pushing like this from now on.

Thanks to Galen too for letting me sport his Bell Sweep helmet that was too big for him.  What a guy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment