Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lunch Ride - The El Morro NPC Route

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/116115911

Attendees:  Vince, Jaffe, Mitchell, Jeremy and Vin

Route:  El Morro via BB and PCH with an NPC San Joaquin McArthur finish

Highlights:

- I thought I was going to be held out front for the whole ride on my TT bike but was pleasantly surprised as early as University when the likes of Vin, Jeremy, Vince and Mitchell took off leaving me and Jaffe to fend for ourselves.  I think Vin or Vince started this off, and the rest just kept it going.

- It took until Back Bay to catch the breakaway team on my cheater bike

- I pulled to the front thinking they were done, but they still kept coming around as a group while I tried to stay off to the side (need the wind time) but stay with them...not easy.

- I ended up pulling at the tail end of Back Bay and up to PCH where we just made the light onto PCH...except for Vin.  We pulled over to let him regroup.

- Vince opted to breakaway at a light before downtown CDM, so we let him go to give us a rabbit to chase.
- While we closed some through CDM, he actually held a great pace and was able to hold us off until NPC.  Jeremy had gone by seemingly to join Vince at one point, but they didn't manage to get together.

- Vince said Vin likes to attack by that dessert shack on PCH, so I saved a little for him as I lead up it to see what he had.  I guess today was not that day.

- Jeremy took the front again at one point as I guess I wasn't going fast enough for him.  HA HA.  I took it back before El Morro.

- After sitting out the light there to be safe, we headed back and I believe Mitchell was up front originally.  Of course, I had to relieve my wingman once I got to spinning up again.  He did try to relieve me again at one point, but I think he was discouraged after I didn't slow down to let him.

- I started us up NPC as well, but Jeremy and Vince passed and worked to try and reel in a guy in a Sho Air jersey.   I was trying to manage my pace/power and recover some from the pulls, so I couldn't hold their wheel.

- A skinny guy (who Vince described as looking like a CAT 1 racer) ended up passing me up NPC and shortly after reeled Vince in.  I rode his rear wheel for a bit when he passed, but I dropped after deciding it would be more fun to chase after the top...that and because I couldn't keep up.  HA HA.  Lucky for him he didn't turn on San Joaquin.  Uh huh...that's right.

- Jeremy and Vince got together at the top, and I saw them where I was hoping to catch up to them for a fast finish.  However, I got caught at the light on Ridge Park while they got the green on San Joaquin, so I figured the chase was on again.

- Jaffe actually came up behind me as we also had to wait out the light on San Joaquin (good job, Jaffe), but my plan was to see if we had any chance of catching Vince and Jeremy.

- Although slowed for one intersection, I was able to get some good momentum and just hauled ass down San Joaquin.  Despite the wind and my wheel cover on, I actually felt pretty stable.

- I was certain Vince and Jeremy were gone, but I got lucky that they caught the light before McArthur.

- Jaffe approached as the light turned green and I guess wanted to lead out for the McArthur dash.  Vince and Jeremy jumped on and I was off the back some waiting to pick a time to go.

- Vince took the front and Jeremy was pointing out a truck we had to go around, so I turned and looked back and saw a car approaching on the outside lane.  I decided that was the time to go and that I better try to match the car's pace behind me so it wouldn't take me out.  Jaffe looked down and saw he was already doing 36 mph when I passed.  I think I passed doing 42-43 mph.

- Vince took it up a notch after we crossed Bonita Canyon and we had a high speed turn going onto Bison.  Strava trophies...yay!

- 22.3 mph avg is pretty legit considering we stopped on PCH, so thanks to the group for pushing the pace today.  Great workout!

Let's ride tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment