Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lunch Ride - Chasing A Rabbit Out to Portola + and 4 Rabbits Back

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/116355981

Attendees:  Vince, Adrian, Mitchell, Jaffe and Johnny

Route:  Portola OAB

Highlights:

  • Although Vince wanted to get back early, we all waited for Adrian at the corner.  However, once Adrian was approaching, Vince took off.
  • Vince made the light on Bison, but the rest of us didn't so the chase was on.
  • We also hit the light at California with Vince nowhere in sight, but I was determined to catch him
  • We were flying down the bike trail with Adrian taking off for a couple instances and breaking away from me only to be reeled back in and towed subsequently. HA HA
  • I was surprised Johnny was still with us when I was off the back at one point, but when I looked behind me again, he was gone.
  • I had a good run up Harvard where we had a pretty good average.  Always nice to see Strava give someone else a higher ranking from the draft.
  • Adrian took the front again once we got on the Peter's canyon bike trail and broke away for a little again with the guys.  
  • I resumed the front for the rest except near the very top where Adrian helped push to the top as much as he could.  
  • We did finally see Vince as we were close to the top, but he was heading back already and was still making it hard to catch him.
  • We were finally closing on him before the end of the bike trail but there was no let up on his part.
  • As it was inevitable, I hung back to hopefully let Adrian, Mitchell and Jaffe get organized to catch him.  Eventually, they did at a light (despite a few TLB's on Vince's part...ahem). 
  • I was with them at the Barranca crossing just before the light, but they seemed eager to stay together and seemingly try to drop me after the bridge...cool.  I'm all in.  
  • Admittedly, they had gotten some pretty good gaps working somewhat together, but lack of real teamwork never kept them too far away (haha).  It seemed they were even trying to drop one another.  Oh boy.
  • After continuing to chase them down from some breakaway attempts and maintaining their pace off the back otherwise, I was ready to return the breakaway favor once we got on University.  
  • We went up California where Vince led originally, but I slowly made my way up to the front.  I expected there was going to be some retaliation, but I think I was prepared for it with a last minute surge near the top. 
  • 24.6 on the way out and 23.3 total not too shabby, and Vince doing a buttload of solo work heading out to Portola and back rendering a 22.7 average, not too shabby at all.   We definitely could have gone faster overall, but what's the fun in that? 
  • Thanks again for the great workout today, gents!



No comments:

Post a Comment