Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Anteater Spyglass San Joaquin Pelican Vista NPC Bonita Cyn McArthur

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2261353

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127436635

Good turnout today.

Courtesy of Seon's camera

With Todd and Gary out and PV hitting it up early this morning, it was almost a full house otherwise.
In the beginning, it seemed everyone was content to manage their pace in preparation for the hills...except Seon.  He broke away early on Anteater and I didn't feel like giving chase...neither did anyone else I guess.  Once we got separated at a light, I never saw him again mostly because he went the wrong way.  He did end up running into the others at some point, so all was not lost.

So with Seon off the front on his breakaway, I had the front all the way to Bonita Canyon.  Once we got there, Marc actually jumped to the front and began working with Jaffe and maybe even Vin as we made our way to San Miguel.

Once we got to San Miguel, Shannon had taken over but was running more of a managed pace.  Nevertheless, no one would take the front ahead of him.  I actually had come from the back just to get in front and finish out the stretch to Spyglass.  I don't know what's going on with this "blocking" thing btw....  Vin had a mechanical at this point where the screws came out of one of his pedals, so he was relagated to only using one.  Ummm...time for a new bike?

Once we got on Spyglass, Shannon led the group up with Adrian in tow, but I thought I'd do it Strava style and made my way up passed the group only to get 4th.  Bummer.  Of course, as I waited for the light to get on San Joaquin, I knew there would be hell to pay.  Sure enough, Shannon snapped all of us off here and we never really saw him until Vista (for a glimpse) and then at the top.  That's what happens when you wake the giant.  He killed it. To make matters worse, today was when he satisfied his obligation to carry Sandy from last week's ride.  Holy ish!

Adrian had a nice lead up San Joaquin (actually, this was pretty much all the subsequent hills) and had me in chase mode on everyone of them.  He does seem to be improving on the hills, but he is still getting caught but albeit with a bit more effort though.  He did catch me where it flattened out on Vista to sit in my draft there where I knew he'd try to stick me on the last rise, but I gave him a little surprise there and snapped him off at the base so he doesn't pull an "Adrian" at the end.

When I met up with Shannon, he asked how the hills felt where I felt like handing him a lung as my response. When Adrian arrived, I just wanted to go since I was feeling that last hill sprint, so we ended up just taking off.

We took turns down NPC, although I had fallen off the back based on the stupid light in the middle, but caught back up just after the 73.  We all continued to take turns on Bonita Canyon and I took the front just before we rounded McArthur.  I pointed to a couple vehicles that were veering into the bike lane, one of which was a commercial van, and he got an earful for doing so especially without signaling.

We rounded to Bison and I knew Adrian was trying to set up a sprint at one point.  How?  He wouldn't get up front! Sure enough, after we left from the last light over the 73, he slingshots past me to take the sprint to Bison.  I contested but didn't have much left at that time.  Kudos.

Sorry we didn't wait for the others today.  I had a great workout though and now am looking forward to tapering off for the rest of the week.  Finally!  Good riding, gents!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment