Thursday, November 17, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Starcrest Shady Summit Duplex Route

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2363726

A good training ride doesn't have to be in a big group...at least that's what I found out today.  We all gathered at the corner where Seon brought out the new Sandy for its maiden voyage with team BRCM.  Vince was a little late and almost got left behind, but Jeremy saw him where I decided to wait and work with him to catch up to the group.  On E. Peltason, he caught up and passed and then I rotated up front just before Anteater and helped bring us up to where most of the others had stopped on the other California Ave. intersection.

Shannon had gotten ahead but we all regrouped at the light to turn left on Culver.  When we made the left turn, I felt like my quads had tighten up a little, so I fell off the back just a little as we headed up and over the hill headed toward Campus.  I was able to make my way up close to the front by the time we got to Campus, but just fell in line behind others as we rode towards Turtle Rock.

On Turtle Rock, Vince lead the group out, but I was interested in a slightly higher pace where I got by.  Jaffinator rolls up to the right of me some time after and pulled away for a little bit even as I held my pace.  I was able to reel him back in, but he jumped on my rear wheel after and stayed with me for a good portion of Starcrest.   I thought I was holding a pretty good pace, but when I turned around, I saw someone behind me but I couldn't make out who it was.  Then I heard his unmistakable voice say, "good pace, Rich"  and sure enough, it was Shannon.  He went by me pretty easily after that, but I was going to keep him in my sights and see if I can spin up for the latter part of the hill.  Then, Vince passed me too stroking the crank at a higher gear than me, so I started getting ready to spin up.  Then I felt it...that unnatural slowing.  Of course, as I looked at my front and rear brakes to check for rub, neither were showing it but I ended up opening up my rear brakes here and it never seemed to come back after.

Vince and Shannon decided not to break at the top and kept going, so I was in chase mode all the way down Ridgeline and on the bike trail to University.  I think I would have caught them at Strawberry Farms, but they took off at that point never to be seen by my again.  Nice.

I decided to do my own thing at this point and just keep an elevated pace to try and keep the rest of the guys behind me honest.  I had kept them off all the way up and down Shady.  Since I took the long way on the bike trail that crosses the street in front of the guard station (I think I was the only one), I looked back and never saw anyone behind me.  After climbing the last section of Shady on the bike trail and then exiting the sidewalk onto the street, I look to my right and see the chase group making their way up.  I decided to go ahead and keep them off and not let them catch me for the sprint down to the bike trail opening, but I ended up getting caught at the light on Bonita Canyon.

When the rest of the guys arrived, Vin and Jaffe were going on about how they caught the rabbit.  I was way too tired to say anything at that point.  Then, Adrian rolls up beside me and started saying how I did good keeping them off for a while but then said I got reeled in.  At this point, I decided to point out their little shortcut they took and asked them not to break their arms trying to pat their own backs too much.  HA HA.

When the light turned green, I was a motivated to try and drop them again.  Going up Turtle Ridge, I thought I had a pretty decent pace when out of nowhere, Jeremy blows by me.  I picked up my pace a little more but was glad we all hit the light to turn left on Summit.

After making the left, Jeremy and Adrian (I think) took off ahead of me, but Jeremy definitely had some momentum.  I wasn't sure I was going to catch him, but just before where it flattened out a little, I was able to make my way past him.  I thought he may attack at the end, so I stood up and sprinted for the last section just to make sure he didn't.  When I made the u-turn, I could see that he and the others were actually not too far behind.  So I bolted.

I was broken away going down Summit and continued to keep the pace up on Turtle Ridge heading toward Bonita Canyon, even waving off a bus to let me get it front of it for the left turn...she obliged.  As a result, I was able to make the green and just kept the pace up all the way to McArthur.  Unfortunately, the light had just turned red upon my arrival, so Jeremy and the others caught me here.

Adrian and Mitchell were together and were still rolling as the light turned green, but they ended up both jumping behind me as we made our way up the hill.  Nice.  However, Adrian did get in front on the way down headed toward Jamboree and admitted he had nothing so he'd offer me a lead out.  Who could refuse?

As we made the right turn to Jamboree, however, I had a different line than Mitchell (who was behind me) so I asked him politely not to take me out as we made the right turn.  Adrian had a different line than me also, and didn't get his ideal drive to start the Duplex run.  He was still able to get moving though.  I was never able to get in his draft, but instead chased him down and only managed to catch him 3/4 of the way up the steeper section.  I was thinking I may have a shot at Strava, so I went for it.  As I was nearing the light on Bison, however, I saw a police car on the opposite side at the front of the intersection and thought best to run the red on the right turn just to get a Strava KOM.  I did ended up having my rear wheel get squirly trying to stop, but managed to do so just in time.  24 mph average only as a result.

On Bison, we all regrouped at the light on McArthur.  We were trying to setup a final sprint, and Mitchell launched the first attack just before the last light over the 73.  I was able to get past, but Adrian stroked it out and got by me for the finish.  I could only hope that he'd putter out at his pace, but he held me off again for the 2nd time this week.  Good job!

While almost more than half of the ride was solo for me, I won't complain about the 20 mph average.  Thanks to the guys up front and behind for pushing me today.

P.S.  Seon had fallen off with the new Sandy but did have a good butt whippin' experience with her.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment