Sunday, November 13, 2011

Team BRCM - Tour de Foothills

Shannon's Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2305672 (I can't get my 500 to connect to my PC)

I wasn't sure how this ride was going to go and who was actually going to make it out given the rain forecast since the beginning of the week.  I didn't want to push anyone to go given that the last thing I wanted was to be responsible should someone get hurt under dangerous conditions.  Thus, worst case scenario was I would just do it alone.  Now you'd think I'd have learned from previous rides in the rain that it's just no fun.  However, I actually had some rain gear this time, so I was pretty much going to give it a go unless it snowed.  Fortunately, PV, Shannon and Verm decided to venture out despite the rainy conditions in the morning.   Woo hoo.

It was raining pretty heavily when I got up, but as I got closer to Uplands, the rain had lightened up and even stopped through some sections.  The sky didn't look too bad either, but it was hard to tell since it was still dark thirty when I got going. 

Shannon had arrived there around the same time, so we found each other fairly easily being that we parked near one another.  PV showed up soon after and got to register, while Verm came in a little later.   He was delayed based on how long the line had gotten and to boot, he had to do #2 and the closest restroom was just a public one that didn't even have doors on the crapper.  He opted for another one elsewhere and we wondered if he would even make the mass start.  Fortunately, he just made it.

The weather had dried up but we were all pretty geared up in case it rained since clouds still loomed above us.  When we took off, the roads weren't too bad, and we were able to make our way around a lot of the slower riders all the way up to the front group.  This took some time to do, but we got up there.  At one point, I had fallen back a little and then got separated from the other 3 at a light.  Once we got going, I had to pick it up and get the others who were with me to catch back up to the front group.  I didn't do it alone obviously, but I'd say I did about 60% of the pulling to do so.  Sheesh. 

When we caught up, we hit the first SAG stop shortly after and this SAG along with the others were pretty top notch.  They had just about everything including honey waffles.  I think some of us decided at this SAG to strip down some since it really hadn't rain and the 21+ mph pace to get her got us all pretty warm.  Of course, shortly after we left, rain started coming down.  Great. 

We made our way onto Sierra Madre and toward GMR, and I was asking the guys to slow up a bit and save it for the mountain.  Glad they listened as I was wanting to have some left for the climb.  Plus, there was some pretty strong winds we were fighting, so it was definitely wearing me out. 

Once we got on GMR, Verm decided to take it easy but Shannon and PV took off even before the gate.  By the time I picked up my pace at the gate, they were GONE!  Nice.  It was tough doing it with all the gear we had on, but it helped given that the weather even got a little more rainy near the top.  I passed several people on my way up, but never enough to make up the ground on the Shannon and PV. 

When we got to the top, Shannon and PV were enjoying the SAG but I was not willing to get off of my bike!  Shannon being the bud that he is handed me either a Honey stinger Peanut Butter protein or energy bar, and I gotta say "Damn that's a good bar!"  Even though Verm rolled up shortly after, I needed to go as the air temp up there was just too high.  Sorry, Verm, but I was freezing!

I headed down toward the 39 and upon reaching the fork, I heard PV behind me where I wasn't sure what he said.  He went by me and since I didn't see Shannon and Verm, I decided to follow as he went by me.  PV is a madman though.  Despite the conditions of the road, he was still railing down the hill.  I admittedly wasn't that ballsy, so I checked up to make sure I didn't loose traction on the painted line and loose rocks and gravel.  I ran into PV at some point down the way as he pulled off to relieve himself, and we rode together for a bit until he had to relieve himself AGAIN.  That must have been some good coffee at the top.  I kept going because I really wanted to get off the mountain to get warm again, so I kept going solo all the way to the SAG at the bottom.  Shannon and Verm rolled in after and PV rolled in not too long after but had had problems with his pedals (speedplays) not being able to clip in.  He didn't wear covers and walked in the dirt up at the top of GMR, so no wonder.

We made our way to Baldy through the route provided, and there were some small climbs where we were able to separate from those who were riding on our wheel.  One guy hung on though, so I rode his wheel out at times when he was working pretty hard seemingly to try and break away from us.  Couldn't let it happen.  When we went up Baldy, PV jumped ahead but I let this guy do some work.  Shannon and I finally worked and got past him and PV.  Since I found a good rhythm on this hill and no longer cold, I had a little break away for a bit with no one opting to chase.  I thought the SAG was where we turned around, but it was actually Shinn road, which was less than half a mile up.  I went on and then waited after the first drop.  When PV passed, I joined him.  We worked together along with that other guy who ended up catching up again on the downhill. 

When we were suppose to make a left, PV missed it but I double-backed and decided to wait for Shannon and Verm at the corner.  Shannon had gotten there and was still rolling so we ended up rolling together from there.  The guy who we were riding with had called out to us but made the turn and got away.  When Shannon and I caught up to him, he was stretching out  his hamstrings as they had cramped on him. 

Shannon and I worked together and was able to take down a few guys, one of whom had passed us pretty aggressively at one point.  He hung with us for a while until we got on some rollers, but he fell off eventually.  I had been feeling good, but after working with Shannon, that turned to not feeling so good shortly after.   Thankfully, we only had 8 miles left, but this was a hard 8 miles as we continued to take turns all the way back to the finish. 

I had 17.9 mph on my GPS, but unfortunately am not able to upload it as I mentioned above, and with all the elevation gain on this ride (between 6.5 and 7.5K), that was pretty damn good.  We were all worked.  Verm had to take off early but PV, Shannon and I got to enjoy their pasta lunch. 

Despite the weather, it ended up being a great long distance trainer with some good elevation.  I think we can still only get better from here.  Thanks again for all the guys who came out today...you guys rocked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment