Thursday, November 3, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Double BB (Chase the Rabbit)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2202411#36650800

The last time we did a Double Back Bay route, we did it with a point system as motivation for everyone to push a little harder.  For today's ride, we opted for a slightly modified route (straight on San Joaquin to Jamboree vs. left on McArthur and PCH) that led into the opening of Back Bay.  Additionally, "chasing the rabbit" was today's motivation, and since no one volunteered when prompted, I ended up taking the role of the rabbit...again.

Now unlike the last time, I asked for a 4 minute head start from 3 of the guys (Todd, Vince and Shannon) and 2 minutes from anyone/everyone else.  In the end, when and how they started were completely up to them.  This works for me, however, because I know trying to corral this group is like trying to corral chaos.  Some did leave 2 minutes after I did (I assume) while others followed after but I'm not sure when.

The rules were simple:

- Obey stop signs and signals
- Don't kill one another or yourself
- Velominati #5
- If you fall off the front chase group, you can take a shortcut as long as it doesn't put you in front of me.  If it does and I catch you, just accept that you need Sandy on your next training ride anyway.

The goal was to get to the top of California Ave (just before Bison) ahead of me.  The prize was an IPA on a weekend outing, but the consequence should one not is to carry the coveted Sandy award (a 2 lbs. bottle of sand in a following outing).

At 11:41 a.m. exactly, I was off.  My goal was to keep a steady pace (or power output - mentally) as much as possible, time the lights, and just pedal.   I wasn't sure if I would let the others just catch me, since I could latch on and race to the top of CA from their draft, or if I would try to just keep away.  I was going to let the lights and conditions decide, and since I was able to time a few key lights properly, I opted for the latter.

I would only occasionally glance back, especially after hitting a light, but for the most part I just pushed through.  I was almost certain I would get caught when at the light to turn left on Jamboree, but I still saw no one over the horizon.  I still pushed through after the left turn because I'm always under the impression it's not a matter of if I get caught, it's a matter of when.

I had a good steady pace through my first Back Bay pass and looking back when I can on the bends, I didn't see anyone approaching yet.  However, as I made my way up and over Jamboree, I got caught at the light on Ford for a little.  Once the light turned green, I saw to my right Mitchell, Eddie and Adrian on Eastbluff (a shortcut).  My first impression was they must have been broken off from others who were probably steadily gaining on me on Jamboree, so immediately I tore up the "San Joaquin kicker sprint segment" (oddly named considering it was on Jamboree) resulting in a PR for me there.  THAT was how scared I was of getting caught.

Fortunately, I caught the light at San Joaquin but I wasn't about to slow down.  Going through Back Bay the 2nd time, I could feel more pressure having seen others on approach, but I didn't want to pick it up too much only to blow up and get caught.  I managed another 25 mph pass again and this was enough to keep Mitchell, Eddie and Adrian (who then were working together again to catch me) from catching me.

I still maintained a good pace all the way to California, but just as I got to the light to cross University, I turned and saw Adrian down the stretch.  Eventually, he, Eddie and Mitchell all caught up to me at this light.  When I asked them if they fell off the front group to take the shortcut, they indicated they never saw the others and stated they just didn't know the route.  Hmmmm.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and decided let's make it or break it on CA.  When the light turned green, I jumped ahead and it didn't seem like they were too interested in following closely behind.  Well, no wonder...the next light was red.  When it turned green, I managed not to have to stop and was considering trying to break away at this point.   I brought my pace up just high enough to see if they'd stay with me, and in looking back, they were stuck to me like glue.

I then deployed new strategy and checked up a little to then have Mitch jump ahead of me.  I latched on to his rear wheel while Adrian and Eddie followed behind mine.  Adrian then saw to it to go ahead and pass us both, so I jumped ahead of Mitchell to jump on Adrian's rear wheel.  When it flattened out a little, you can tell Adrian was slowing up and trying to either 1) prepare for a sudden sprint or 2) respond to mine.  I chose to exercise option 2, and waited until the right moment.  When I did take off and pass him, you hear him changing through the gears where I knew that I had him at that point.  He "claims" his gears miss-shifted (really? - HA HA), but just maybe...and this may be a stretch here...shouldn't he have been in the right gear to defend a sprint to begin with?  Just sayin'.  In any case, that was the end of that and I got to the top of CA uncontested.

Looking over Strava results, it looked like there was some insane efforts behind me.  However, my prayers to the traffic light god must have been answered where based on the rules set forth initially, everyone who came out for this event will have the honor of carrying Sandy.  She's been pretty lonely in the Bldg 6 gym shelf anyway, so it's good she gets to get out for a bit.

I think the guys are mad at me for some reason though.  The e-mails have been reduced to 0 after lunch, but I hope everyone had a good workout.  I know I did.

Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment