Tuesday, November 15, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Portola OAB with Jamboree Finish

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2341946

Good turnout today:  Galen, Todd, Vince, Shannon, Adrian, Mitchell, Seon, Vin, Jaffe, Peter, and Jeremy (on his new Focus steed).  Both Vince and Galen honored the "Sandy" today, so I guess you can say she came too.

You can tell by those who were in attendance it was going to be a fast one...and it was.  I can only imagine how it would have been had LTJ not have just come back from vacation and if Shannon didn't get a flat on his 25s on the bike trail heading out.

I was feeling really good today, so I thought I'd go ahead with the lead out on the bike trail (plus, it sucks having to overcome the accordian effect from the back).  Todd, Galen and Adrian took turns with me where we had a pretty solid pace by the time we got to Harvard (23.4 average).  Despite this, we were all able to regroup at the light.

When we took off on Harvard, Seon took the initial pull (nice to see).  He did break off on his own for a bit, but looked back and let me latch on.  I took over after, and I think Todd helped here as well.   When we got on the bike trail again, Galen was keeping us all honest and at times I just had to tell the guy flat out I had nothing left until I could recover more.  I eventually did take over but the rotations were definitely thin in terms of participants.

Vince thought to make it interesting by launching an all out attack (1 of 2 or 3 for today) before the rise up toward Portola, so this was appreciated by the group...NOT!  We did reel him in on these attacks, but they were as fun as getting nuts kicked.

We didn't stop at the top and just busted a U and we kept a high pace all the way back.  At one point, Adrian relieved me on one of my pulls and actually suggested I rest a bit (who was this guy?).  When we rounded the corner and headed back toward Harvard, we saw Shannon ahead of us and immediately we knew it was going to get worse before it got better.

Shannon led us on Harvard for a bit, but I did relieve him as I know he doesn't like being held out too long.  I did get a little worked here though, so I was in major recovery mode once we got back on the bike trail.  I knew going onto the bridge, it was going to be a bear from the back, so after rounding the corner, I was already full on standing and making sure not to pop off.  The guys ahead of me were keeping the pace up, so I rested up a bit while they worked the rotation.

Shannon was the last one to lead us out on University headed to California, but no one relieved the guy.  Of course, when I passed the #2 wheel to do so (names withheld to protect the innocent), I did say "nice blocking."  HA HA

The guys let me lead them up to Jamboree, which was very nice of them.  Shannon got a jump, but I found a good rhythm here and made my way by him.  Then to my left, I see Mitchell trying to work his way by me.  Was it to pull (finally...just kidding)?  Was it an attack?  I wasn't sure, but I didn't up letting him get by.  No Strava KOM here today, but then again, this one's mine already.

After re-grouping at the light, we headed down Bison and I just knew Adrian was trying to set up a final sprint.  When the last light turned green, Mitchell and Shannon were ahead of us but there was also a truck to their left on the lane.  When Adrian came around me, he was moving at a good clip and all I could do was just latch on and see if he'd pop before California.  He didn't.  Good job.

It was definitely a fast pace today with a 22.8 average (according to my Garmin) where Strava knocked it down to 22.5.  Boo.  I still am having problems with my Edge, but at least I was able to post it on Strava.  It stopped talking to my PC again before I can upload to GC.  I'm hoping Garmin sends me an RMA# soon.

Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment