Tuesday, November 1, 2011

BRCM Lunch - BB CDM PCH NPC Vista Ridge Newport Ridge San Joaq McArthur

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2179686

I think it would be easier to say who wasn't there vs. who was given the size of today's crowd.  Notably missing would be Gary, Todd, Paul B., Verm, and Noah.  Even Eddie's been coming out again with consistency.  I know, right?

With a group this size, it seems always advisable not to blow up in any given section despite the urge to want to let it all go.  I was definitely hanging back for the early part of the ride as a result while the rest of the group charged on the bike trail and through Back Bay.  I did slowly try to make my way up to the front on Back Bay, and I appreciated those who let me cut in so that I can eventually be part of the rotation.  At least I think that warrants a thank you.

The pace was pretty solid going out, and eventually Adrian and Vince went to go mix it up with a little breakaway after San Joaquin.  When I finally got to the front, I thought I'd lead toward the final gate but Vince jumped out in the end to hit the gate first.

On PCH, PV and I lead the group toward Avocado at a solid pace.  As we cut through toward Ocean, we all pretty much stayed together.  Then Vin and Adrian grew a wild hair and decided to launch a breakaway through Ocean.  I guess that's a good place for one with all the cars, people, and all?!?  Vince, PV and Galen ended up joining them and they had a pretty good gap on PCH.  I stayed with Shannon and Seon as we made our way toward NPC, and fortunately (unfortunately for the breakaway though), we caught all but Vince at the light.  He was nominated to carry Sandy to slow him down for our next ride, and of course, Vince accepted the honor.

On NPC, there were some real solid performances out there...except for some who participated in the earlier breakaway.  Shannon and PV eventually disappeared at some point along with Vince, but Galen, Seon, Hiroshi were definitely holding their own going up where it seemed to take forever to catch up to them.  Eddie did awesome also despite his extended absence and got passed the guys with me except for Galen.  I kept looking back expecting not to see him, and it was like we were attached.  HA HA.  Nice.

When we got to NPC, Galen made his way back in front of me and jumped ahead on Vista Ridge.  Seon did too, but he was not able to hold the tempo.  Now I was thinking I'd catch Galen on the final rise, but the SOB just cranked away and managed to reach the crest just ahead of me.   Awesome considering the guy can't put a load on his shoulder.

We tore off down Ridge Park and hit the San Joaquin light where I believe Jaffe, Marc, Mitchell and Hiroshi joined us.  There may have been more but I didn't do inventory.  On Newport Ridge, Galen made the turn first but I took the lead shortly after and keep the pace up.  Galen and Jaffe rotated with me here and kept the pace up.  Just at the final rise, I "pulled an Adrian" and jumped to the front and started out the San Joaquin downhill as well.

While we were moving at a pretty good clip down San Joaquin, a car decided he wanted to pull out in front of us as we approached but fortunately just got by before we got there.  Galen jumped ahead at this point and seemed like he was going to let the driver know how he felt about that, but opted to uphold the honor of "the kit."

We rolled up to Mike Z. at the light, and he led us out right after it turned green.  I upped the pace just before McArthur but both Mitchell and Galen decided to bring it up even more after we rounded the corner.  As we were making our way toward Bonita Canyon, I saw PV ahead of us so the chase was on.  By the time we crossed the road, Galen and I were alone and he led us through to Bison where we were closing on PV pretty fast.  PV saw us and immediately started pounding it.  Once I saw that, it was like exposing blood to a vampire.  With the lights not being a factor, I gave chase and pretty much just let it all out.  I don't know if PV or Galen could hear me, but I was grunting like a pig from working so hard.  I didn't want to stop though, and did manage to get by an unsuspecting PV before Bison.  Of course, after rounding the corner, PV wanted some more but he must not have read the rule book...no more sprinting after the turn.  It's in there...look it up.

Overall, it was an awesome day out and nice to see such a good turnout.  I hope everyone got as good a workout as I did if not more.  Shannon and Vince must have being that they were mostly on their own after the hills.  Studs!   Thanks, gents!

2 comments:

  1. Your grunting was cracking me up, sounded like my dog when he is pissed. Nice sprint though, you have no idea how hard it was for me not to give chase but sprinting is not in my cards for a couple more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured it would, Galen. You can just call me mad dog from now on. I can't wait until you're ready to sprint again. Heal up already.

    ReplyDelete