Tuesday, November 22, 2011

BRCM Lunch - NPC San Joaq Horseshoe Spyglass San Miguel McArthur PCH BB Jamboree

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/2419066

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, 14 guys made it out for today's ride probably trying to build up that deficit before this upcoming holiday weekend.  S-Gary was back from England, so it was nice to have him back.  It was definitely a loaded ride today in terms of who came out, so I knew it was going to be a good workout.

S-Gary led us out originally in typical S-Gary fashion.  I took over on E. Peltason though, and others started rotating in working the group into a frenzy as we made our way up through Anteater.  As we got on Bonita Canyon, there was some confusion as to whether Summit was part of the route, but once Vince indicated it wasn't, we all made our way to NPC.

After the light, Vince and Gary led the group up initially.  I relieved Vince eventually and kept the pace pretty reasonable as we made our way toward the 73.  Lo and behold, when I was relieved I didn't think it would be Adrian doing so but there he was...for as long as it lasted anyway.  :)   Shannon took over and several of us just jumped on and tried to stay with him and Todd as they made their way up to the top.  Galen and I were just a little off their wheel at the top but got back with them as we headed toward the horseshoe.

Shannon started us up the horseshoe, but I came around to bring the pace up.  Galen and Todd were also game to help, but we all finished probably in the same order as we started once we got back to San Joaquin.

On San Joaquin, we were going at a good pace and Galen jumped to the front as we started to descent.  Since Spyglass was the first light after descending, a few of us checked up to make the turn but Galen missed the memo and kept going straight despite our attempts to call out to him to make the right.

I led Todd and Shannon up on Spyglass and when LTJ tried to pass before the top, I wasn't ready yet to give up the front position.  He passed after we started to descend and just made the yellow light to turn left on San Miguel.  I checked up and made sure I didn't go through in case Shannon was behind me, so we caught the red.  When the light turned green, Vince came by and started darting up the hill on San Miguel.  Slowly, we were able to pull him back in and we all ran into Todd at the intersection just before San Joaquin.

When we got on San Joaquin to turn left on McArthur, we totally missed the light (again) and tried to cross going straight from the crosswalk.  Sure enough, after getting out of the left turn lane to do so, a car shows up to turn left and gets the light to turn green for the other guys led by Adrian who were behind us. Fortunately, we caught them at the first light on McArthur.

We were doing a pretty good pace on it and PCH subsequently with guys alternating rotations.  I did try to make my way to the front but never managed to do so.  It was only after we were descending after Jamboree that I came around from the back to close a gap that Adrian, Mitchel, Todd, Vince and Shannon created.  I don't think anyone was able to latch on though.

After closing the gap on PCH, I also had to close one after a serious according effect once the guys jumped on the bike trail by the trailer parks.  The same thing happened once we got on BB drive since Vince and Shannon got a head start by jumping the curb while the rest of us checked up to get on the road after the bike trail.  As a result, I couldn't participate much in the rotation early on in BB.

On the first section of BB, Shannon appeared to have had some minor mechanical as he rolled off the group despite his breakaway with Vince.  Vince kept going, so I waited for Todd and Adrian to reel him back in.  When Vince latched on to David (not sure how he got there ahead of us though), I decided to just close the gap to Vince there and jumped to the front.

We then all started to rotate subsequently, and even Mitchell relieved me on one of my pulls (wha?).  I think Adrian asked him to do so.   As we neared the end, Adrian took a final pull and I decided to go ahead and lead us up to the top of Back Bay.  I tried to defend from the front and see if I can get to the top first, but Vince just got by me.

I got to cross the street first to make my way to Jamboree, but decided not to try and break away and instead just wait for the others to see if I can work with someone up the hill.  I had a pretty good pace going up when I started, but Todd got by me and was able to hold a higher pace that I just couldn't keep.  I thought I may be able to spin up and catch him at one point, but that didn't happen and he got to the left turn lane to Bison ahead of me pretty much uncontested.

A few of us regrouped at that light and made our way to Bison together.  I knew Adrian was going to set that last section up for a sprint, so I decided to try something different and take off early without dragging him behind me.  I managed to create a gap, but Adrian was holding a bigger gear and got by me again over here.  I again hoped he would pop as I jumped on his rear wheel, but he held it for the 3rd time in a row.  Good job.  I'll have to try something different again next time.

21+ average, some good movement on Strava for several people, and totally gassed at the end of the ride.  Yup, it was a good day on the saddle today. Thanks for the workout, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment