Sunday, February 12, 2012

2012 Tour de Palm Springs

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/4115809

Garmin Connect:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149231165

Note:  not sure why the GPS data is so inconsistent between the two. 

One benefit of having done centuries, even several centuries, is that a routine can be established such that nutrition, rest, and execution can be repeated based on things learned from previous rides.  Since we deviated from the norm by inviting our significant other out with us (with Pam, Heather and Lisa gracing our presence), we pretty much deviated everywhere else throwing caution to the wind and just enjoy the time with the ladies.  Personally, I ate differently (had taro buns for example), hydrated differently (3 beers the night before and not too much water), and even rested differently (didn't sleep until almost midnight).  It was supposed to be an easier ride in contrast to last month's race anyway, but you can always rely on BAM being a factor despite disclaimers to the contrary.

Todd and I stayed at the same hotel where when we left, the weather did not seem too bad, but once we headed over to pick up Vin and Galen, we noted how strong the winds were blowing and knew we were in for an adventure.  We managed to find a place near where we've parked the last couple years, and took off from there rather than going to the start point since riders were already going by.  Once we headed out, the cross winds were unbelievable...easily 20-30 mph gusts.  When we hit an open area, a sandstorm had kicked up and was literally pelting us from head to toe requiring us to stop to let it go by.  From the news, we heard this was enough to turn several riders around because of the severity.  It was "ridiculous."



Once we could see again, we went on.  Now I thought we were going to take it easy, but Galen seemed intent on pushing the pace.  I played along for a bit, but once we turned left directly into that wind, I was not too game to try and keep their pace.   They were passing people not seemingly accounting for the entire length of the ride, no one working with them in the winds, etc., where I decided I'll just use other riders until we get out of that headwind and work to catch up on the hills.

Once we turned towards the hill, I decided to kick it up a notch and pick up my pace where I could see that I was making ground again on the other guys.  I was passing a bunch of people and looking for others to see if they wanted to work with me, but not one person even jumped on to try and keep up.  Almost within reach of the others, the S-G curse hit and I could feel the stem to my rear wheel bouncing off the course pavement.  Yup...a flat.

I wasn't able to locate the culprit so I changed the tube and got on my way shortly after.  I was again passing people but had concluded that I will probably not see the guys until the 50 mile SAG since that was the planned stop.  On the right down the hill, I figured I would surely find others to work with but still no luck.  Just passing rider after rider.  Then, on a right turn where they appeared to either have changed the route this year, I see Galen, Todd and Vin waiting for me.  Sweet!

When we got going, the pace picked up pretty fast.  Galen is a beast and Todd was helping to push the pace too, and with the winds not as big of a factor, I was game.   After one ridiculously fast descent, I looked back and Vin was gone leaving just 3 of us to move forward.   I'm sure the climbs through the residential area didn't help at the pace these guys were pushing.

The rolling hills with the long descents were fun too.  On occasion, some people would jump on but they wouldn't be able to sustain the pace and fall off eventually.  There were a couple guys who tried to work our paceline, but that didn't work either and they just fell off.  We also saw team Velosport out there with at least 10-12 riders and with Sol up front, so we said hi as we passed and went by them on our merry way.


As planned, we stopped at the 50 mile SAG and it wasn't too long before Vin had pulled in as well.  We had a nice little break and actually had a chance to eat a sandwich.  The PB&J was tops.  The other guys indulged in the turkey and/or other sandwiches they had to offer.  I also ran into Chaz, a friend of mine who had filmed the first OC Gran Fondo with team BRCM.


Once we got going again, we ended up getting a little lost and did a couple u-turns until we could finally got back on the right route.  We were able to talk Galen into working with others for a little bit since it was pretty windy, but after a while only the 4 of us were doing rotations up front. At one point, I think someone had asked one of the guys if we could slow down a bit just so they can stay on.  Ummm...no?  Soon enough, it was just the four of us working together alone.

After making our way to an inadvertent SAG stop, we were off and saw a large group ahead of us.  Galen, who had been pulling like a mule, offered to chase them down, so we let him.  It took a few stop lights but finally we were part of a big group and finally could "relax."  Good job, Galen.  I would have been content to just sit in the draft the whole time, but we still got pushed up in the rotation here and there involuntarily...okay involuntarily for me anyway...Galen and Todd less so.

The group broke up at a light at one point, but we all still managed to sprint at the green and close back in on the guys up front.  There were some aggro behavior from other groups out there as though they owned the paceline, but whatever...this happens on occasion on big rides.

Near the last 10 miles, I felt like I was working extra hard to just keep up as my bike just seemed sluggish.  I didn't want to stop to check it out though, so I just kept pushing on feeling like I can make it to the end this way.  At one point, however, we had to slow/stop for an accident where there were guys pulling a bike out from under a truck.  As I stopped, I felt my rear tire and it was probably only at half pressure, so I called out to Vin given I only brought one spare.  He looked at me and took off indicating he thought I was just warning him.  Weird since we were already both stopped.  Anyway, since the tire wasn't fully deflated, I pulled out my last remaining CO2 and just refilled the tire.

After getting it filled, I picked up the pace and managed to make my way to the other guys at one of the lights ahead.  It was nice to still be able to finish with them.   We had looked around to see if the women were around to cheer us on for the finish, but they were enjoying the poolside and alcohol early on.  Nice!   My rear had gotten flat again by the time the girls had arrived to join the after party.

It ended up being a good ride despite the harrowing winds, and Galen is definitely legit.  Todd is always an animal and Vin did great as well.  The ladies made the pre-ride and post ride festivities even more fun despite making the ride somewhat a bit more "challenging."  We have to invite them out more often.  HA HA.  Actually, this is the perfect ride for the ladies to accompany us, so next year should be killer.

3 comments:

  1. Nice write up, it was a great ride and killer after party.

    Our garmin numbers are pretty close with the exception I logged 102 miles. Tend to think the garmin is more accurate. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could see at the end of the ride how much our speed dropped off in the last 10 miles. The crowd really slowed things down. What a great ride though. I would definitely do it again although I think I'd like to start earlier so we don't have to fight crowd at the beginning. Are you sure those gusts were only 20-30mph? I'm pretty sure they were hitting 50+ mph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's typical for this ride to slow toward the end based on the merging of all the routes and the congestion. An earlier start sounds good for next year, but I'd say this should probably also depend on who goes and whether the ladies attend. The wind speed as reported according to one website was up to 29 mph with gusts up to 37 mph. Yeah, that sounds about right.

    Good job, gents!

    ReplyDelete