Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lunch Ride - Turtle Rock Shady Ridgeline Summit Jamboree Route

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/4614320

After Sunday's ride and last night's rain, I suppose it's understandable that only 7 of us made it out today.  I wanted to try out new hoops with a Power Tap, so I came out wanting to stay in the back and break it all in.  I didn't realize, however, that the guys who did come out would snap me off so quickly.  Vin, Seon, Mitchell, Jaffe and Hiroshi began pulling away once we got on E. Peltason and Eric would join them on Culver where I was STILL working to try and latch on.

Once making the right on Turtle Rock, I was finally able to latch onto the group.   However, after all that chasing, I opted to sit in back for a while to recover while the others rotated up front.  Seon and Hiroshi were leading the pack 2/3 of the way up when I decided to help out.  We kept a nice steady pace all the way up to the end and to start the climb up Shady.

After the first bridge where it pitches up, I decided to turn it up a notch and sprinted up the hill from the front to see if anyone/everyone would come with.  No one responded, so I decided to make it interesting and break away at this point.  I was able to stay away through the 405 bike trail but was caught by the group at the light on Ridgeline.

On Ridgeline, Vin and Hiroshi led the pack and I sat in to recover for a bit thinking about another breakaway.   Hiroshi and Vin had a good pace though, so when I did jump to the front, it was just enough to stay up front to the top where everyone latched on behind me.

As we made our way to Shady, it was either Mitchell and/or Hiroshi who led most of the way up but Vin got up front and started to separate a little just before we hit the crest.  I was able to reel him in eventually after some time and made my way past to pull everyone down to the bike trail.  I was waiting to see if anyone wanted to sprint at this point, but....

As we went up Turtle Ridge and eventually up Summit, I was pacing Hiroshi up the hill to his left with Vin just behind both of us (Mitchell was probably behind all of us too but I didn't look), where we were holding a solid speed going up.  As it flattened out just before the gate, I opted for another breakaway here and gapped them both enough just before the gate.  I was able to increase the gap on the downhill and ultimately breakaway at one of the lights that held the others back.

Since the guys never caught me, I ended up doing the condo solo.  No records broken today, but still a good day's worth of training.  Thanks to those who made it out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment